Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rambo III

Default Rambo III

The first in the genre on the Genesis, Rambo III is one RnG that still holds up pretty well after all these years. Read our review and find out why!
    Last edited by Melf; 08-18-2011 at 11:50 AM.

I got this yesterday. It was in a bin of games at the local retro gaming shop for under 2 bucks. Cart and case, no instructions.

I popped this in. Holy shit! What am I playing here a 8-bit game? It looked terrible. The colors reminded me of Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom for the NES. Say I start playing through it and it's addictive as hell. I've been playing it for the last hour and half. The controls are pretty smooth, no slow down, and you basically just shoot and blow up shit non-stop.

I give this 9/10. 9 points for how fun it is. The graphics are terrible so I can't give it a 10.

Some how I missed this one during my childhood.

Quote Originally Posted by genesisguy View Post
    I give this 9/10. 9 points for how fun it is. The graphics are terrible so I can't give it a 10.

Some how I missed this one during my childhood.
    I think you're being way too harsh on the graphics. It looks good, particularly given how pretty close to a launch title Rambo III is. Big characters in the boss fights and a main game with lots of sprites and explosions with little slowdown or flicker. I will say it's a very flat looking game, but then most older titles aren't going to have much in the way of scenery animation.

Raging in the Streets SEGA.GENESIS1989's Avatar

When I was a teenager, I was lucky enough to have a neighbor who owned a SEGA Mega Drive. At this point in time, I had no clue that his console was the Japanese version of my console. His brother lent me a number of games to take home. I had Thunderforce II, Ghostbusters, and Rambo III. I am certain that most will agree that all three games were moderately difficult especially if you chose not to rely on any cheat/hint books. I was most impressed with the first two titles and initially disappointed with the visuals of Rambo III.

If there was a title that proved that graphics do not take a higher precedence over gameplay, Rambo III fits the bill! For an early release, the controls are very tight and responsive. The ease at which one is able to toggle between their special range weapons become second nature and the gameplay is very addictive. The cut scenes are a nice touch that include a directive to follow when proceeding to the next level. I finally acquired this title recently and even after all these years, it's nice to know that behind the 8 bit graphical style, there exists a very nice challenging game. I wonder why not many people mention this game more often. To borrow Tony the Tiger's line,"It's great!"
    "There's nothing to fear, except fear itself"
    http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s486/link2link2link/YUZOKOSHIROISAGODNEOSEEDEDITION.gif

Proud 16-bit War Veteran ESWAT Veteran David J.'s Avatar

It plays quite good but I wonder the difference between each version since there are two, but quite pricey. Plays good considering it looks like ass.
    The smell of scorched oil hangs in the air as a premonition of danger, while the engine gloriously shouts its war cry...

Throughout history, suspicion has always bred conflict. The real conflict, though, resides in people's hearts. This conflict has just begun.

nes x-men nes x-men nes x-men

Talking

I believe you may be referring to one of the two games that appeared on the Master System. RAMBO III on the SEGA Master System is a light rail shooter and is vastly different than it's 16 bit counterpart. The other game RAMBO First Blood Part II on the SEGA Master System does at first glance ressemble RAMBO III. However the main difference is that RAMBO III on the SEGA Genesis/Mega Drive is a free roaming run-n-gun shooter while RAMBO First Blood Part II on the SEGA Master System is a vertical run-n-gun shooter similar to Ikari Warriors.

Earlier today I re-discovered that RAMBO III possesses a risk versus reward mechanic. You are free to mow down enemies with your machine gun however if you choose to knife an enemy, your short range attack will be rewarded by allowing you to pick up an arrow to add to your arsenal. It is a very interesting mechanic that you may choose to embrace or ignore during the early stages of the game. Stage 5 is a bit frenetic and does experience slowdown when there are too many enemies on screen but, for me, it is not a game breaker. During those times, I just pretend I am NEO and am experiencing a "Matrix" moment!
    http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s486/link2link2link/YUZOKOSHIROISAGODNEOSEEDEDITION.gif

Got a complete mint copy from a local shop for 5 bucks....really nice game. Reminds me of jackal for some reason.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Watch your back, shoot straight, and never cut a deal with the dragon. (from Shadowrun)

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

An excellent top-down shoot-'em-up with relentless and addictive gameplay. Ok the main sections of the levels may be weak graphically but the bit at the end of every second level where you get to take down a helicopter or tank with your grenade crossbow via a third-person perspective looked very good and really made Rambo III feel more like a good quality arcade blaster.

Nameless One

Got my hands on this not too long ago and I'm enjoying it so far. My biggest complaints are bright red bullets on brown underground and that one long stage where you have to destroy all supplies. Just messes up the pace.

The game has what looks like transparent shadows for all characters. I'm looking at an early implementation of Highlight/Shadow mode, right? Can somebody explain the technical reasons for this not being used in other games? Will this eat up a whole palette just for the effect?

Wow! I was #2 poster on this 6 years ago. Time is going by too quickly.
    I still like this game a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by FSR View Post
    Got my hands on this not too long ago and I'm enjoying it so far. My biggest complaints are bright red bullets on brown underground and that one long stage where you have to destroy all supplies. Just messes up the pace.

The game has what looks like transparent shadows for all characters. I'm looking at an early implementation of Highlight/Shadow mode, right? Can somebody explain the technical reasons for this not being used in other games? Will this eat up a whole palette just for the effect?
    I think your referring to stage 4? It's been a while since I played the game but I know exactly which stage you are referring to: It is painfully tedious: Not only do you have to traverse the maze like level but you have to locate and blow up each cache of enemy weapons. When you are trying to learn the best route to take, you end up doubling back to locate the cache of weapons you missed. It makes the stage seems longer than it is. As I was learning the levels of the game, I painstakingly drew a rough map in order to help me picture the level's layout.

I still remember that when I finally beat the stage, I ended up putting the game on pause for a good half an hour before resuming the game. My fingers were really sore!

This game brings back a lot of great memories! I used to play this with my dad, with my Mega Drive and TV setup on the dining room table. That was back in 1992... wow.. a long time ago!!! We used to play it quite a lot but only ever finished it once I think?! I remember the excitement of watching the final cut scene together and me rushing in to tell Mum how we'd completed it (even though she probably had no idea what the hell was going on).

The graphics are a little rough around the edges, but the helicopter and tank bosses were really impressive! I still get a lot of enjoyment when I play this game and definitely need to play it with my Dad again soon..!!

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MyGamerXP View Post
    This game brings back a lot of great memories! I used to play this with my dad, with my Mega Drive and TV setup on the dining room table. That was back in 1992... wow.. a long time ago!!! We used to play it quite a lot but only ever finished it once I think?! I remember the excitement of watching the final cut scene together and me rushing in to tell Mum how we'd completed it (even though she probably had no idea what the hell was going on).

The graphics are a little rough around the edges, but the helicopter and tank bosses were really impressive! I still get a lot of enjoyment when I play this game and definitely need to play it with my Dad again soon..!!
    Great memories mate! I used to love going around to my best friends house to play this game and others at about the same time, I was nine years old in 1992. Oh how time flies!

The review incorrectly says that this was a launch title.

Nice little game I played a lot back then. It was the closest one could be to Ikari Warriors on the MD. And it had RAMBO in it! I mean, in my neighbourhood, the closest thing to a Rambo experience was playing Cabal on the Arcade. It was known as "That Rambo game" here. And then we got that digitalized (not really. I know) Stallone bringing down helicopters... People jumped to it! It's your straightforward top view run n' gun with tons of fun to be had.

And about the movies, while I think First Blood and its critical viewpoint of post-Vietnam American society, its trashing of police methodology and its reflection on tolerance, is the finest movie on the series rather than the typical Reagan era Eagleland bravado of the two inmediate sequels, these are funny as heck if you don't take them seriously (I'm not talking about how unfortunate the plot of the movie that this game is based on would turn on to be, history-wise).

Thread Information