Quantcast

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Streets of Rage III

heart Streets of Rage III

Culminating the famous saga, the final installment brought more of everything to the table and pulled out all the stops. Read the full review.

monsters of rock Master of Shinobi acdc's Avatar

damn i hate this game

axel looks yust gay
    first three levels are fun
    after the the first 3 levels it s all the same in badguys the stage with the ninja s and then the boss damn what a disaster

Still not afraid of Y2K Rusty Venture's Avatar

Bare Knuckle 3 is still a better version.

I enjoy the control tweaks/improvements made to SOR3, which is one of the things I like about ti more than SOR2.

Join the USA/NZ strike force team!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantar View Post
    a swedish android, awakened by the touch of Raśl Julia...

Move Between worlds Raging in the Streets TheEdge's Avatar

ummmmm......A kid on skates, a cyborg, a boxing kangaroo?

It was strange but we played it just the same.

EDIT: I was just checking the review score for Streets of Rage 1 and it got a 6...................A 6!!!!! Are you insane.

Today I am going to go home start up my genny, pop in SOR1, go to the options, and play the music for the Beach Level over and over again in protest.

You should all be ashamed.
    Last edited by TheEdge; 12-30-2008 at 03:51 PM.
    "A Radical is One Who Speaks the Truth"

http://the-coolinator-lounge.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by beef jerky man View Post
    There's not many people willing to go against the grain, which explains why we're in such a dilapidated state. I personally commend The Edge for being so resilient.

Pity rep is still rep. Raging in the Streets Mr Smith's Avatar

Streets of Rage 3 is the best in the series. The only place number 2 beats it is in the music. I also agree that a 6 on the first game is a crime.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamahl
    You my lord, are a poet and a scholar. Of death.

fka christuserloeser ESWAT Veteran retrospiel's Avatar

Bare Knuckle 3 is a great game, SoR3 on the other hand is just a piece of garbage. Why is that ?

- There are numerous things that make BK3 better, but let's not discuss the godawful covers, manuals and missing move lists in the Western versions, and the 50Hz PAL issue that makes the EU PAL version the worst of them all, and let's forget the butchered graphics and inferior voice samples for a second and concentrate on the actual gameplay itself:

The thing you'll instantly notice when playing Bare Knuckle 3 is that on its hardest difficulty setting the game is still much easier and much more balanced than SoR3 on Easy. It is as fun as Streets of Rage 2. Unlike that, Streets of Rage 3 is frustrating in the purest meaning of the word.

One of the things that they changed for the third game were the special moves which you now have to earn by scores. You're basically starting the game with special moves that are below the level of SoR2 in terms of strength, distance, and speed, but you can earn up to four stars that do increase these values. To really understand the problem with Streets of Rage 3 it is important to know that you loose one star every time you die, plus the score counter gets reset back to 0, so you basically start from scratch. That's no big deal in Bare Knuckle 3 - but it is in Streets of Rage 3!

When butchering the game for the US and EU release, they did raise the difficulty. Like I wrote, Bare Knuckle 3 was very easy, much like Streets of Rage 2. But Streets of Rage 3 is so hard that it is just ridiculous for this kind of game. - Remember that this is not a shmup, but a multi-player brawler.

Anyway, its difficulty itself isn't the actual problem: When 'adjusting' (read: fucking up) the difficulty, and even though they had like 3000 beta testers that all get to be mentioned in SoR3's credits (no joke!), they obviously did not consider ...tada: the special move system. In the Japanese version, you earn star after star and basically stay on level 2 or level 3 through the entire game. Good players stay on level 4. Now, in SoR3 you have to deal with this insanely difficult game where even the most basic enemy is faster and stronger than you. There even are less items to refill your life bar! - All of this without having any special move at all! You're just thrown out there on level 0 and every single time you earned enough points to reach level 1, you die and loose your special move _AND_ your score counter gets reset. AAARGH! IT IS SO DAMN FRUSTRATING!

Of all the many many disgusting things they did to the game in the US, this is by far the worst. Imagine if for the US release of Super Mario they would remove all power ups. No mushrooms and no fireflowers... - it's a fucking joke.

Now, going through this game over and over again until you master it is still possible of course - if you're sitting home alone with your Genesis all day. But as soon as some friends come over to play some Streets of Rage with you, Streets of Rage 3 just isn't an option: It is just too frustrating for someone who doesn't know the game too well. But that's exactly what made the first two games such all-time classics; its 2 player mode...

EDIT: I agree that SoR1 does not deserve a 6/10. That's blasphemy!
    Last edited by retrospiel; 01-21-2010 at 03:38 PM. Reason: fixed link
    Quote Originally Posted by Genesis Knight View Post
    Sega's worst damn enemy was (and continues to be) Sega.
    189 157 262 502 517 659 220 556 112

http://soronline.classicgaming.games..._sor3vsbk3.htm

Check this out. Differences between the games BK3 and SOR3

There's not many people willing to go against the grain, which explains why we're in such a dilapidated state. I personally commend The Edge for being so resilient.

Yeah, that's the link I tried to post above. Just fixed it.

^ thats a great site. Found it a while back.

Quote Originally Posted by Christuserloeser View Post
    The thing you'll instantly notice when playing Bare Knuckle 3 is that on its hardest difficulty setting the game is still much easier and well balanced than SoR3 on Easy. It is as fun as Streets of Rage 2. Unlike that, its ugly little brother Streets of Rage 3 is frustrating in the purest meaning of the word.
    The reason I never play SOR3 (other than owning BK3) is that SOR3 isn't so much *hard* as it is TEDIOUS. When you have *work* at killing some low level thug it sucks the fun right out of a game.

The only remedy to make SOR3 not so tedious was to either use the "1-hit kill jump kicks" or use Shiva, but that just makes the game too goddamn easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Venture View Post
    The reason I never play SOR3 (other than owning BK3) is that SOR3 isn't so much *hard* as it is TEDIOUS. When you have *work* at killing some low level thug it sucks the fun right out of a game.
    Very good point.

- I didn't try to focus on the "it's too hard" thing as much I probably did. My point was that loosing your hard earned power ups again and again isn't exactly rewarding.

But yeah, you're right, with or without the extended special moves it's extremely tedious to actually hunt down billions of Galsias and Signals on speed. It's even more tedious if you consider that unlike in BK3 they need to land only three or four hits to kill you, which again means you're loosing your power ups and which also resets the score counter for getting the next one, and thus again slowing you down when trying to fight all these enemies moving around on fast-forward.

- The modifications completely fucked up the game's entire balance.
    Last edited by retrospiel; 01-10-2009 at 12:32 PM.

Elemental Master Outrunner GameUser-16-32-128's Avatar

I never got to play this game way back then. I've only owned SOR 1 and 2. I remember reading average reviews and the unusual differences between the JP and US versions. These reasons alone made me not want to buy the game. Hopefully someday there is a patch that will restore all the things missing from the JP version translated into English and re-released/reproduced with a nice packaging by Bratwurst.

There are translations of the "plot" online.

But knowing Japanese is not really that huge of a requirement for BK3.

Yeah, you don't need the story. It's the graphics, voices and the game itself that is so much better in Bare Knuckle 3 than in Streets of Rage 3.

heart

Streets of Rage 3 has always been my favourite game for the Megadrive. But today I got Bare Knuckle III in the mail, and that version is just godly!!!

Thread Information