Quantcast

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    Still mystified by all the praise this game gets. It's OK, but there's a really cheap side to the gameplay that makes it frustrating (especially on Hard), and the lack of a run button gets annoying. World of Illusion may have a shorter shelf life (since it's very easy), but I enjoyed it more.
    The game is just extremely polished, the music is outstanding, and it just does everything well. There isn't a part of the game I don't like.

The Curly Bard Wildside Expert CurlyPaul's Avatar

Yeah I loved this game when i was kid, despite not really liking platformers. I must get it again. I've got the SMS version, which is also very good although it is much harder in my opinion.

The special-needs snowman Raging in the Streets Olls's Avatar

Eh, it's good. But I like Quackshot and World of Illusion more.

I adored this game as a kid (which is saying something, as I can't stand Micky Mouse), but these days it seems a little slow and unoriginal. Still, the game doesn't really do anything wrong in the gameplay department, and for the time the presentation was through the roof.

I think Land of Illusion on the Master System is probably the best Illusion game, on Mega Drive Quackshot was the more interesting Disney licensed game in my opinion.

Love this game, although I still have never beaten it. I've gotten all the way up to the final boss only to lose.

Shit's hard I tell ya.

I must say though, I prefer it to Quackshot. While both of those games were great as well, I thought Quackshot went on for way too long. World of Illusion is about on par with Castle.

The Game Gear games are excellent as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

The special-needs snowman Raging in the Streets Olls's Avatar

You've never beaten CoI?
    It's IMO, one of the easiest Genesis platformers. Although, WoI is even easier.

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Olls View Post
    You've never beaten CoI?
    It's IMO, one of the easiest Genesis platformers. Although, WoI is even easier.
    On Normal, CoI is fairly straightforward, but on Hard it can be a pain in the ass. Lots of cheap hits and bosses that take 10+ hits to kill. It took me a lot less time to beat El Viento (for example) than CoI on Hard.

Of course it's easier once you've memorized it, but you can say that of most games...

I completed Castle of Illusion on normal when I was 9 years old, at the time I remember thinking it was too easy.

I've never been one for playing games on hard mode, never saw the point in it really, I've put Castle of Illusion on Hard a few times over the years, and it is, indeed pretty damn difficult.

I can get through most of CoI just fine, but then the last two bosses destroy me, and I used to tend to lose lives during the 3rd level as well, or random other tricky mishaps.

I should really go back and see if I can beat. I also got REALLY far in Castle of Illusion on Game Gear, can't remember if I managed to beat that one or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

Yes this game is pretty bloody good, shame they can't release it on the "Sega classics". I for some reason prefer the Master System version, probably because I had it when I was a kid. I couldn't afford a Mega Drive so didn't get it till later. The Master System version I played to death and I still remember where all (maybe most) of the hidden items are.

Level 6 Rocket Knight Raging in the Streets jerry coeurl's Avatar

Extremely late to the party, but this game is fantastic! Man, those colors really pop. World of Illusion looks great too, but I prefer CoI's cartoon-y style compared to WoI's more realistic backgrounds. I especially love the visuals on the clockwork stage, the cake river, and the underground ruins.

The gameplay is extremely solid and the controls are perfect. The levels are well-designed and a lot of fun to explore. I'm kicking myself for depriving myself of such a great game for such a long time! Now to get my hands on a complete copy...

Quote Originally Posted by soviet View Post
    If Sega making condoms,I will to one-night-stands in every night~

8 & 16 bit guy Outrunner Bloodreign's Avatar

I picked this one up last month, got tired of just emulating it. This one's fantastic, quite colorful, and music's great. I remember the old ads with this game on it (Genesis Does ads) and back then I figured it'd be a kids game, turns out I was wrong. Not the hardest game in the world, but far from just a simple children's game, the environment is rich and lush, color just seems to pop off the screen. Plus it's a Mickey Mouse game, you can feel the love Sega put into it, even for an early title. Needless to say I am mighty glad I finally have this one in my collection to go with World of Illusion, next up Quackshot.

Good game...worth beating once or twice, if only for the graphics.

After that, it goes back on the shelf.

3/5
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Watch your back, shoot straight, and never cut a deal with the dragon. (from Shadowrun)

Raging in the Streets SEGA.GENESIS1989's Avatar

I am curious to know the following ...

For those of you who have completed the game, have you found all the hidden items there are to find in the game? I always thought that I did but who knows? Maybe I have missed an area or two. I believe each stage has a nook and crazy where multiple items can be obtained.
    "There's nothing to fear, except fear itself"
    http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s486/link2link2link/YUZOKOSHIROISAGODNEOSEEDEDITION.gif

Quote Originally Posted by SEGA.GENESIS1989 View Post
    For those of you who have completed the game, have you found all the hidden items there are to find in the game? I always thought that I did but who knows? Maybe I have missed an area or two. I believe each stage has a nook and crazy where multiple items can be obtained.
    Hidden item? You mean like the stash of apples/marbles/whatever in the pit in the first level?

Thread Information