Quantcast

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse

Bite my shiny, metal ***! Hero of Algol retrospiel's Avatar

I played World of Illusion first too. (Simultaneously actually). World of Illusion seemed better at first, I agree, but Castle of Illusion somehow doesn't get old, no matter how many times I pay it.
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

Then we set about developing killer games.

- Hayao Nakayama, Mega Drive Collected Works (p. 17)

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

A truly wonderful platform game by Sega and Disney. I only recently added this title to my collection and really love playing this one. For purely nostalgic reasons I'd rank Quackshot and World of Illusion higher as they were titles I loved and played as a kid and yet still stand up today but taking off my rose-tinted specs for a second I reckon this game is every bit their equal.

Played through this game yesterday. I like it, it sounds/plays/looks great. But somehow, I've always liked QuackShot and World of Illusion more. Is it memories? I wonder, if I would have played Castle lots back in the day if I would have liked it more. Somehow I don't think so, I love all Illusion games on Master System and didn't play those back in the day.

One of the finest titles in the early days of our MD. Easy but quite addictive, sappy but a feast for the eyes, almost no replay value but rewarding nonetheless. For every little flaw in this game there's a huge virtue. I like World Of Illusion better, but this is just the beginning of a line of fine Disney games for the MD (with some major drawbacks, of course. Her'es lookin' at ya,Fantasia!).

I must add I played the SMS version with my Everdrive yesterday. And wow, man, wow. It gives the already brilliant MD version a run for its money. It's a bit harder, requires a little strategy on some points and like its sisters, it pushes the then-known capabilities of the machine to the max. Lovely game.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker

I thought the game got away with a lot but it was good. The 2nd level was charming, the toy land. I thought that made a lot of sense. That teacup level I thought was interesting. Wasn't sure why that was included but it was very interesting. I never completed the game. Was very very hard.

After having gotten the Mega Drive Mini, I really felt like replaying Castle of Illusion - even though it never really stuck with me before. I played bits of it back in the day, but I grew up with World of Illusion and QuackShot and loved those far more. I still can't choose a favorite of those two, WoI for nostalgia, though I think QuackShot is the better game.

But there was something I wanted to say about Castle. I think it's because I've reached a point in my life where I'm more relaxed and patient than ever before - that I have really enjoyed playing through Castle of Illusion (at final level now). It will never dethrone QuackShot and WoI for me, but I may come to prefer it over its Master System version. I love that it's actually sticking with me for the first time ever. Though I am cheating right now, I do plan on trying without cheats soon. But I gotta say, I do believe it's the hardest of the 3 games?

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by bigladiesman View Post
    I must add I played the SMS version with my Everdrive yesterday. And wow, man, wow. It gives the already brilliant MD version a run for its money. It's a bit harder, requires a little strategy on some points and like its sisters, it pushes the then-known capabilities of the machine to the max. Lovely game.
    I like the SMS one quite a bit too. I also recommend Land of Illusion and Asterix for SMS. Both play similar to Castle of Illusion and are excellent.

I find it odd how the JP Megadrive mini only has World of Illusion and not Castle of Illusion, though I feel they should have had Quackshot on all minis instead of World of Illusion. World of Illusion is especially good in 2p, though.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianC View Post
    I like the SMS one quite a bit too. I also recommend Land of Illusion and Asterix for SMS. Both play similar to Castle of Illusion and are excellent.

I find it odd how the JP Megadrive mini only has World of Illusion and not Castle of Illusion, though I feel they should have had Quackshot on all minis instead of World of Illusion. World of Illusion is especially good in 2p, though.
    Thanks for your reply, Land of Illusion is my all-time favorite Master System game I have played and liked Asterix as well, though I can't remember if I ever finished it.

I agree, I'm a bit bummed that they didn't round off the Sega of Japan trilogy with QuackShot. I originally thought that Castle and World were both on the JP release, and EU/US would only get World. I was happy to find out that Castle was on EU/US release after all, but yeah, very strange it's not on the JP release.

I replayed Castle of Illusion without cheats, though with savegames. I've gotten to the last level, which is murder in my opinion :P Haven't finished yet.

Thread Information