Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OutRun

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceHarrier View Post
    Give me an explanation for those red marks on the tires of every vehicles.
    I didn't notice that but in the amiga version the man and women swap seats as they flipped the image

Quote Originally Posted by Modelboard4 View Post
    in the amiga version the man and women swap seats as they flipped the image
    ROFL just witnessed this.

Anyway, the Amiga port is total crap. It even has an awesome feature : a fake title screen

Yep I think this is a great port too especially for the time and I can still play this today and enjoy it as much as the arcade version. I like the 3rd stage heading right towards `E` with the rocks to the right of the track, great fun when two cars approach side by side and you get held up.

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceHarrier View Post
    ROFL just witnessed this.

Anyway, the Amiga port is total crap. It even has an awesome feature : a fake title screen
    to be fair the problem was outrun was to powerful for any console until the Saturn, the amiga came out a year before outrun, so really it was always going to struggle

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Nuts View Post
    Yep I think this is a great port too especially for the time and I can still play this today and enjoy it as much as the arcade version. I like the 3rd stage heading right towards `E` with the rocks to the right of the track, great fun when two cars approach side by side and you get held up.
    never played the MD version, but sega should have ported it themselves, instead of being lazy

This Mega Drive port's electric engine is surprising at 1st & kinda disappointing since a good engine SFX is satisfying but the superb soundtrack rendition + the exclusive 4th track "Step on Beat" + the digit' voices + the others sounds like screeching tires or doppler effects still make a great audio environment.

The scrolling is ok & maybe seems choppier than on some others ports because, in comparison to them, the Mega Drive version runs at the same high-res + fullscreen as the Arcade original so, with more stuff moving at screen, some things are more noticeable.

Then i prefer the new layout for some levels in this version as well as the new car's moving animations which are smoother.
    Overall, what a fine & lovely driving game OutRun is & still is in its MD form!

Genesis port have a good work on Sound and Music but the Colors and playability could be much better
    7/10
    VISUAL SHOCK!
    SPEED SHOCK!
    SOUND SHOCK!
    NOW IS TIME TO THE 68000 HEART ON FIRE!

Shadow of the Beast II - Enhanced Colors:
    http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2275/

Sunset Riders - Enhanced Colors:
    http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2287/

Turrican - Fixed:
    http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2535/

Here's some great stuff from MD / Genesis Out Run.

EGM (International Outlook)

EGM (Tricks of the Trade)

(Youtube screen captures)

Eons ago, one of the very few attractives of going to my great-grandpa's village was that every bar there tended to have a quality arcade cabinet.Like, I dunno: one had Konami's 4-Player TMNT cabinet, which was awesome, and another had an OutRun one, with a steering wheel. Because in my neighbourhood there was already a TMNT cabinet (a simple, plain 2P one), for me the attraction was to drop 25 pesetas in the OutRun one.
    Several years later, when I got my MD, a neighbour who had quite a nice collection of games loaned his OutRun cart to me. It was funny, but I felt like there was no difference between the arcade version and the home version. Ahhhh, how fool these mortals be: what did not impress me when I was a child now it's the game main strength: this is one of the most accomplished arcade ports to the MD.
    After playing OutRun on Mame and then on MD, I'm quite impressed: the arcade, of course, has bigger sprites, better scale effects and moves way more smoothly, but the home translation is impressive nontheless: fast, colorful, with all the iconic soundtrack. It contains all the stages (I dunno about the endings: I think I never reached the goal). At the time it was as close to the coin-op as it could be until 32-bit consoles appeared and the ports became arcade-perfect.
    So, it's OutRun ported to a near-perfect level: take your Ferrari and just made 'em eat their dust.

My first experience of playing OutRun had to wait until I played through Shenmue II on the Dreamcast, believe it or not, and I loved it but have only just gotten around to adding the title to my Mega Drive collection. It's an excellent port of Yu Suzuki's classic! Now I'm not exactly the greatest at these sorts of games and I usually get frustrated very quickly at my own crapness in handling corners and so forth but not with OutRun! I find I am playing it again and again to try to improve. It's just such a happy game. From the weather to the excellent (and extremely catchy) music to the tight gameplay, it just makes you happy to be behind the wheel and urges you to try to beat your last score and reach the goal. It may have been a long time coming but you can consider me a big OutRun fan from here on in!

Mega Driven Master of Shinobi cleeg's Avatar

Happy game, that is a perfect and succinct description of this title.

Thread Information