Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disney's Aladdin

Default Disney's Aladdin

Aladdin was released for the Sega Genesis in late 1993 and is a 2D side-scrolling game based on the legendary Disney movie of the same name that was developed by Virgin Interactive and published by Sega. The movie was made famous for its characters, and the game for its breathtaking graphics, which still look amazing today. Read our review for all the details.
    Last edited by Melf; 07-11-2011 at 05:01 PM.

Rebel scum Shining Hero MrMatthews's Avatar

Yes, the game looks great, as do most Virgin games. I always found this game boring and tedious, however. Levels go on way too long, and the ending is incredibly disappointing.

a lot better than SNES Capcom game and a great platformer

Grand Duke of Nukem Master of Shinobi Nunzio's Avatar

Say what you will about Tommy Tallarico, the music in Aladdin is amazing and it is a great game.
    S A V E R U S T Y

Nameless One

I loved this game. Most of my friends that had the SNES liked this version better too.

Antiquing Hedgehog Lord QuickSciFi's Avatar

Genesis MY FAVORITE SEGA GENESIS GAME !!!!

I love this game so much I ended-up owning about four copies...Just to get a Fine Mint CIB in the end (which happened not very long ago).
    I once got so good at it that I could beat it all the way till the end in DIFFICULT mode without loosing a single bit of "Genie-Smoke." When in practice mode, I wouldn't use a single apple unless the final boss required it and still wouldn't loose "Genie-Smoke"! Gosh, just three or four days ago (after almost 10 years) I plugged it in on NORMAL and managed to beat it without loosing one single life....
    ...I gotta get me another copy (There is a black & white version of the manual that came later with the cartridge plastic label in the back reading MADE IN MEXICO (NOT USA).

Genesis BTW

Quote Originally Posted by QuickSciFi View Post
    I love this game so much I ended-up owning about four copies...Just to get a Fine Mint CIB in the end (which happened not very long ago).
    I once got so good at it that I could beat it all the way till the end in DIFFICULT mode without loosing a single bit of "Genie-Smoke." When in practice mode, I wouldn't use a single apple unless the final boss required it and still wouldn't loose "Genie-Smoke"! Gosh, just three or four days ago (after almost 10 years) I plugged it in on NORMAL and managed to beat it without loosing one single life....
    ...I gotta get me another copy (There is a black & white version of the manual that came later with the cartridge plastic label in the back reading MADE IN MEXICO (NOT USA).
    BTW, I forgot to say this... This is, by far, way SUPERIOR to the SNES version. What makes the genesis game so good is the tremendously smooth gameplay seldom achieved during the 16-bit era. Adding to it, the graphics, animation, music and responsive controls made it rise above the rest (at least for me). I also played one of the game boy versions, what a disappointment. BUT, the biggest disappointment came when I played the game gear version (same disappointment I had when I played the sonic "ports"--if they deserve to be called ports).

(REGARDING GAME GEAR- I love Game Gear as much as I love SMS, the thing is that I had to grow accustomed to the 8-bit graphics and gameplay of both with games also found in the Genesis, which took me a long time to do. Primarily, my initial aversion to Sonic on SMS/Game Gear was that the blue fur wouldn't spin.....I WANT HIM TO SPIN! Well, same disappointment I had when I played Sonic Advance...Is it me, or do the characters feel a bit too nintendo-nized nowadays!)

Anyways....Disney's Aladdin for the SEGA GENESIS/MD RULES !!!!!

QuickSciFi

A Light In The Building. Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by QuickSciFi View Post
    (There is a black & white version of the manual that came later with the cartridge plastic label in the back reading MADE IN MEXICO (NOT USA).
    Does the back of the cartridge have a "Virgin Made In Mexico" sticker slapped over the Acclaim logo? Acclaim helped Virgin distribute games in North America at one point. I have a few Disney/Virgin games that are in Acclaim cartridge cases with this sticker on them.

Genesis Correction

Quote Originally Posted by chessage View Post
    Does the back of the cartridge have a "Virgin Made In Mexico" sticker slapped over the Acclaim logo? Acclaim helped Virgin distribute games in North America at one point. I have a few Disney/Virgin games that are in Acclaim cartridge cases with this sticker on them.
    My mistake, I was writing out of memory. It reads "Assembled in Mexico," and, it isn't in the back, it is rather "stamped" in the front on the label itself. And, you're right, it is an Acclaim casing. There is, indeed, a sticker over the Acclaim logo; but, like many other Disney games I've seen, It is entirely black (I don't believe it's been corroded, but rather, the original color. Perhaps in order to mask-out the Acclaim logo altogether. I can still feel and almost see the Acclaim logo, though). I own a loose cartridge version of it, but I want to sell it and acquire a mint CIB. Do you have this one? Are you selling yours?

Question: Do you claim to have seen a sticker that reads "Virgin" in the back? (if not in this game, perhaps in another?)

BTW, there's much more to it than the casing itself. What struck me most (in fact, the first time) was that the frontal pin arrangement is not the same: It is "missing" several (I assume unnecessary) pins. Begining with the fourth location, these are grouped as 6/2/4/1, respectively (with 6/4/6 locations emptied, respectively, after the first 6 pins). This lead me to believe that, if the hardware was different, then the software it contained might be as well. I've played it through once, but haven't found anything yet.

Great Game, Isn't it?

P.S.> Check-out my new thread on 2D Side-Scrolling Platformers for the Sega Genesis.

A Light In The Building. Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by QuickSciFi
    There is, indeed, a sticker over the Acclaim logo; but, like many other Disney games I've seen, It is entirely black (I don't believe it's been corroded, but rather, the original color. Perhaps in order to mask-out the Acclaim logo altogether. I can still feel and almost see the Acclaim logo, though).
    That is a reprint cartridge produced by Majesco. They usually used old Acclaim cartridge cases and covered the logo with a plain black sticker. Majesco produced a wide variety of game reprints for the North American Genesis, Game Gear, and SNES in the late 90s to gain a small profit from the systems' no longer profitable state of being. These games come with black-and-white instruction manuals that usually mention Majesco in the fine print.

Do you have this one? Are you selling yours?
    No, I'm currently looking for a cheap copy of this game. The thrift stores I've checked don't have it.

Question: Do you claim to have seen a sticker that reads "Virgin" in the back? (if not in this game, perhaps in another?)
    Yes, on my copies of The Lion King and The Jungle Book. The stickers read "Virgin Made In Mexico".

BTW, there's much more to it than the casing itself. What struck me most (in fact, the first time) was that the frontal pin arrangement is not the same: It is "missing" several (I assume unnecessary) pins. Begining with the fourth location, these are grouped as 6/2/4/1, respectively (with 6/4/6 locations emptied, respectively, after the first 6 pins). This lead me to believe that, if the hardware was different, then the software it contained might be as well. I've played it through once, but haven't found anything yet.
    Majesco just used different boards, the software is still exactly the same as the original. It's like comparing two cars that are the same model, but different colors. No matter what the color is, the two cars should still drive the same regardless.

Great Game, Isn't it?
    It sure is.

"Virgin Made In Mexico" LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoltor View Post
    Japan on the other hand is in real danger, if Japanese men don't start liking to play with their woman, more then them selves, experts calculated the Japanese will be extinct within 300 years.

Genesis

Quote Originally Posted by chessage View Post

Yes, on my copies of The Lion King and The Jungle Book. The stickers read "Virgin Made In Mexico".

Quote Originally Posted by Da_Shocker View Post
    "Virgin Made In Mexico" LOL

LOL, It is indeed a funny combination of words on the back of a game cartridge.

Genesis STILL does! Outrunner runback22's Avatar

the animation and music amazed me back in the day and it still amazes me today....probably the best movie to game translation ever

Genesis

Quote Originally Posted by runback22 View Post
    the animation and music amazed me back in the day and it still amazes me today....probably the best movie to game translation ever
    I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by runback22 View Post
    Although The Lion King would have to be in that discussion, I also give the nod to Aladdin on Genesis.

Thread Information