Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Disney's Aladdin

Antiquing Hedgehog Lord QuickSciFi's Avatar

Genesis

Quote Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
    Although The Lion King would have to be in that discussion, I also give the nod to Aladdin on Genesis.
    I have to agree with you also. Hands down, The Lion King is a worthy oponent. I maintain Aladdin owns it, though.

A Light In The Building. Master of Shinobi

I was wrong, it reads "Virgin Assembled In Mexico".

This photo is off of my game cartridge of The Jungle Book:
    Attachment 821

Aladdin is a mixed bag, some levels are great, while others...I can only guess what the game programmers were thinking...maybe they were high. Tedious is not the word on those levels, boring is more the word.

Level 6 Rocket Knight Raging in the Streets jerry coeurl's Avatar

Picked this up a few days ago (cart only) for 50 cents at a thrift store. I played up to the "escape from the Cave of Wonders" level today, and besides the animation, I don't really see what makes this one so special. It does look gorgeous, but the controls feel sloppy to me and the level design really is a mixed bag. I dunno, I like The Lion King a lot better. That probably had to do with nostalgia (The Lion King was one of the games I got with my Genesis 2 for Christmas when I was 6), but by the same token I feel like nostalgia is the only reason this one still receives so much praise. And it's not like I'm going around proclaiming Lion King to be one of the best games on the system.

I'll keep at it, though. I've beaten The Lion King and The Jungle Book, so I don't want to let this one best me. But yeah, I frequently see this one touted as "one of the best platformers on the Genesis," but on a system with games like Ristar, Rocket Knight Adventures, Castle of Illusion, QuackShot, Sonic 2, Shinobi III and countless others, I just can't agree with that. To me, it's average at best.
    Last edited by jerry coeurl; 09-09-2012 at 06:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by soviet View Post
    If Sega making condoms,I will to one-night-stands in every night~

WCPO Agent Cornelius Spunkwater's Avatar

I agree with jerry 100%.

After playing this, I can see that it's a case of "rose-colored glasses" syndrome. Aladdin on the Genesis just isn't that great. The controls are sloppy, the levels are boring, the gameplay is full of cheap, tedious bullshit, and the platforming is plagued by leaps of faith. There's nothing that ruins a platformer quicker than not being able to see far enough in front of you to judge where the hell you're supposed to jump. And why the hell does Aladdin have a sword all the time? And even more importantly, why is it such a weak-ass weapon with terrible range? Most of the time, you can't use it without taking a hit. Apples are far more effective.

Capcom's Aladdin on SNES is a far, far better game. Better gameplay, tighter controls, more inspired level-design, better music, and just more fun to play. Plus its final boss is pretty epic.

I agree with both of you. I recently bought an AV adapter for my old genesis and spent a few hours revisiting this one. Not being able to see before jumping renders the game almost unplayable. Also, it would be a little more exciting if you actually got points for killing guards and/or collecting apples benefitted you in some greater way. Not a bad soundtrack though. Melf's review is way too praiseworthy (though I know I'm years late).
    Last edited by Antonovus; 03-06-2014 at 08:55 PM.

Master of Shinobi midnightrider's Avatar

The only issue I had with this one is some of the platforms in the dungeon stage aren't as precise as they should be(is "poor collision detection" what I want to say here?). I think it's a fun game other than that though.

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

Another fave of mine and I find it too difficult to choose between Aladdin and The Lion King if I'm honest with The Jungle Book also up there with them for Disney film licensed games made by Virgin on the Mega Drive that not only look great but play great too. I know Aladdin didn't use a sword in the film but it perfectly suits the game Virgin created and I used to love the clink of metal as you swung your sword at the same time as an enemy guard you were fighting did. The game does suffer from being too easy but I'm not sure if that's just me having played through it so many times or an actual fact of the game mechanics.

I think games like Aladdin don't hold up well over time. If you're just playing it now for the first time, the amazing fluid animation and graphics and music don't seem special in comparison to games that have come since. But when it came out, it really felt like you were manipulating characters in the film. The attention to detail was amazing. It's not simply nostalgia that causes people to talk about how great the game is, but it's a sense of perspective, of how great it was in comparison to most platformers of the time. If you're just coming to it now, it probably doesn't have much to offer.

About the SNES vs Genesis version argument: This has got to be one of the most played out arguments of video game history (right up behind the Nintendo fanboy arguments against the PS1). For the most part it just comes down to people arguing that the version they had as a kid was better. I think they're both good games, and I don't know why it's necessary to constantly argue which is better.

Count me between the fans of this game. I got it on Xmas 1993-94 and it blew me away. Of course it seems like nothing special nowadays, and morover, it's a tad too easy, but like other users, I'm putting it in its context: this was allegedly the first game that was animated at 60 fps instead of 24, and the movements looked as life-like as Jordan Mechner's Karateka or Prince of Persia would have looked in the 80s. Quite innovative at the time.
    To the [alleged] innovation, add some beautiful (if at some moments simple) graphics with nice effects, nice BGM by Tommy Tallarico (I still hum Arab Rock from time to time) and a very cartoony and self-referential sense of humor, present even on the cheat codes. For me, this was a winner at the time, as it was Donkey Kong Country, a good but very overrated game (and don't get me started on Vectorman).

Edit: In the Bubsy thread, I criticized its "tight scrolling". Aladdin , being a better game, has it, too.
    Last edited by bigladiesman; 09-27-2018 at 08:35 PM.

Here are the three releases of Aladdin for Sega Genesis

Plastic case: Sega Assembled in USA cart, color manual*
    Cardboard slide box: Sega Assembled in Mexico cart, grayscale manual
    NFR cart: Sega Assembled in USA

Imgur gallery: https://imgur.com/a/HGRdKKV

*molotovwars variation spreadsheet indicates that you could get a plastic case version with a grayscale manual, but I couldn't really confirm this. Also I do not know if there are more than one grayscale manual.
    Sega Genesis Master Set Collector
    https://vgcollect.com/Tripredacus/gen

if the game had better collision detection i'd love it, but as it stands it's good. the graphics are amazing but meh, the gameplay isn't tight.

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cabear View Post
    if the game had better collision detection i'd love it, but as it stands it's good. the graphics are amazing but meh, the gameplay isn't tight.
    I agree the collision detection and platforming is slightly off, but it's on one of those games I played to death as a kid and so I give a free pass to. Besides which, it looks and sounds absolutely amazing to this day. Overrated? Maybe, but it's still one of the few games that really shows the Mega Drive hardware off.

Rebel scum Shining Hero MrMatthews's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mega Drive Bowlsey View Post
    Overrated? Maybe...
    Aladdin is absolutely overrated.

And Resident Evil 4 thinks so, too.

The Gaming Gangsta Master of Shinobi profholt82's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MrMatthews View Post
    Aladdin is absolutely overrated.

And Resident Evil 4 thinks so, too.
    As far as it sometimes being talked about in the all-time best Genesis games conversations, yes, Aladdin is overrated. But it is a great game with beautiful visuals. Most of the Disney games on the Genesis are excellent. Jungle Book may be my favorite, but Aladdin certainly looks the best.

And I've never understood the RE4 love all over the internet. If anyone here is suffering from insomnia, just put that snoozefest of a game in and you'll be off to dreamland in no time.

Thread Information