Quantcast

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Beyond Oasis

Raging in the Streets Yharnamresident's Avatar

Grave digged.

You can tell this is a late Genesis game, because most of the sound effects are sampled. Thats one aspect that makes this game awesome, aside from great graphics, animation, boss battles.

It sucks that complete copies of this game are going for $60. I guess I'll have to go without the clam case.
    Certified F-Zero GX fanboy

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by azonicrider View Post
    Grave digged.

You can tell this is a late Genesis game, because most of the sound effects are sampled. Thats one aspect that makes this game awesome, aside from great graphics, animation, boss battles.

It sucks that complete copies of this game are going for $60. I guess I'll have to go without the clam case.
    By $60 of course you mean $20?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_saca...mplete=1&rt=nc

You are correct that you'll have to settle for a copy without a clamshell, since it came in a cardboard box.

People who don't know how to operate the internets really need to stop shopping online, as they are solely responsible for all the crazy asking prices that they love to complain about.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Forgive me for my 0.0005 internet I.Q. then. But I still have no idea what the point is of looking at ended listings.

Master of Shinobi

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=beyond+oasis&LH_Com plete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc"]here you go
    same difference, just made it easier for you

yeah, you should be able to get a complete copy from eBay for around $30 shipped, without much effort

edit: don't know why that link won't format correctly ..?

And I was so excited or this game when it came out but because of the cheap cardboard packaging and photocopied style manual, I refused to buy it.
    Yuzo Koshiro and his Ancient team went on to make some pretty unique and noteworthy games.
    I've always kept an eye out for game that Ancient has developed.

I'm looking forward to playing Robotrek sometime soon. I'm curious to see if there are any nods or suggestions in that game to the Car Battler Joe universe.
    Last edited by Zz Badnusty; 12-05-2013 at 07:27 PM.

8 & 16 bit guy Outrunner Bloodreign's Avatar

This is why I have the game on 2 Genesis collections between the PS2 and PS3, it's cheaper this way (though I admit owning the cart would be so much better), and it works for me till the day I decide to do like I did with Ristar, buy the damned thing for my Genesis.

Beyond Oasis is a pretty title, and is fun and worth owning though if you get the itch to own the cart.

I just noticed this game uses different reverb simulations for footsteps depending on the environment, indoor or outdoor. All done in FM. That's a pretty crazy amount of detail for a 16-bit game. I also really like the music cause it actually evokes 20th century modernism instead of being yet another hollow interpretation of movie scores. I wish more games had orchestral music in that style.

Yea game developers can get pretty crafty, when they have 3 megabyte cartridges.

Quote Originally Posted by GeckoYamori View Post
    I just noticed this game uses different reverb simulations for footsteps depending on the environment, indoor or outdoor. All done in FM. That's a pretty crazy amount of detail for a 16-bit game. I also really like the music cause it actually evokes 20th century modernism instead of being yet another hollow interpretation of movie scores. I wish more games had orchestral music in that style.
    The main character sprite is supposed to have over 500 frames of animation.
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Master of Shinobi

Yuzo Koshiro is no joke!

Master of Shinobi midnightrider's Avatar

Just beat it. This is maybe my 3rd time though, since I discovered it.

I'd say if there was any issue with the narration, it was that it just didn't have enough time(it clocked me at under 8 hours)/moments to tell it's story. Otherwise, what it does tell isn't bad, just really basic(maybe more so by modern standards than by '94's?).

Going for the infinite weapons was a real pain in the ass. I went with the Steel Bow(easy) and the Omega Sword(thankful for gel battles). I gave up on the others when I realized what a pain in the ass the Efreet race for the infinite fire bow was... None were necessary though. Some consider this game similar to a beat 'em up, and in that regard, I've found that more often than not you're better off without a better weapon, except in boss battles here. You can do more damage with a good combo, than hitting an enemy hard enough to knock them down.

I do find it interesting that, due to the battery save, it actually saves a top 5 ranking. Being short definitely helps out with that.

ToeJam is a wiener Hero of Algol Guntz's Avatar

I have this game too, certainly an interesting title. I need to set aside some time to play through it, I love all the little things you guys are pointing out. A shame nobody knows about Beyond Oasis.

I wonder if the Saturn sequel is any good.

Quote Originally Posted by Guntz View Post
    I have this game too, certainly an interesting title. I need to set aside some time to play through it, I love all the little things you guys are pointing out. A shame nobody knows about Beyond Oasis.

I wonder if the Saturn sequel is any good.
    The Saturn game is a full realization of the original idea... EXCEPT they chose to scale up large enemies, so they're all pixelly and look like they belong in a different game. Both are timeless must play games.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training Kamon's Avatar

Just finished my playthrough of Story of Thor today, yeah this game is super underrated. If the prequel fleshes out the core game as much as fans say it does I need to buy a Saturn. The way summoning works is novel, top-notch stylized sprite work, the combat has the same simple hook as SOR and it rewards creative play where it can. Biggest gripe is that movement is really stiff without true diagonals while sprinting, it's something you can play around but it does make traversal tedious having to stop and start all the time. Now that I've wrapped up the main story I'm about to do the side quests but I recall being cut off from the overworld after the third last boss. Before I waste my time booking it back to the start of the final area, anyone know if there's actually a way back to the overworld?

After you fight the Non-Entity (big floating eyes), you get dumped in the Shadowlands / Final Area / whatever. In this area, until you begin the fight against Silver Armlet, you can always go back to the beginning of the Shadowlands and open a warp crack to return to the main world.

That's what I remember.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training Kamon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Genesis Knight View Post
    After you fight the Non-Entity (big floating eyes), you get dumped in the Shadowlands / Final Area / whatever. In this area, until you begin the fight against Silver Armlet, you can always go back to the beginning of the Shadowlands and open a warp crack to return to the main world.

That's what I remember.
    Oh sweet, I'm guessing I need to use Shade to see it. I only figured out that Shade can see hidden warp cracks in the final dungeon! I probably missed a bunch of secrets. Thanks for the confirmation.

Thread Information