Quantcast

Thread: Batman Returns

Default Batman Returns

Few icons have had as storied a history in video games as Batman. From a few bona fide classics to some real stinkers, the Dark Knight has a ton of releases under his utility belt. One of the more controversial titles was Batman Returns, based on the second film. Many debate its quality to this day, and we've a review to help you fence-sitters make up your mind. Hey, don't say we never did anything for ya!
    Last edited by Melf; 07-16-2011 at 09:28 PM.

Proud 16-bit War Veteran ESWAT Veteran David J.'s Avatar

I'd love the game, and it'd be *perfect* in my book, but the difficulty really killed me. I have the Sega CD version, but I also want the Genesis version

It sounds nice, looks good, and controls nearly perfect although the thingy you use to swing is a pain in the neck. That said, I have fond memories of the games, playing it at a friends house on his (new at the time) Genesis 2 which was a lot more leet and newer looking than my Genesis 1.

The Sega CD version is so overrated. The driving isn't that great, but oh so pretty. It sure is a lot better than The Adventures of Batman and Robin tho. However... I love the Game Gear/Master System version. I think they share the same engine as the GG Shinobi games. They sound, look and play a lot alike.
    The smell of scorched oil hangs in the air as a premonition of danger, while the engine gloriously shouts its war cry...

Throughout history, suspicion has always bred conflict. The real conflict, though, resides in people's hearts. This conflict has just begun.

nes x-men nes x-men nes x-men

Melf good you put the review up for this game!
    i still play batman returns the gameplay isn't bad at all.

I love Shadow Dancer!"

Master of Shinobi ary incorparated's Avatar

This game is worse it has some really stif shit graphics and plays to stiff Batman. and robin is way better i think even supperior to the snes version.the md cd version is better and even a fine title because you can shoose between platform or racing,Fewwwww.I give this game a 5,the snes version is way better.

Stiff controls and crappy level design & ai makes this game not worth your time. I did like the dark graphics and music but the sound quality is horrible.
    4/10

Sports Talker

Default very dark game

The controls are a little annoying to me, but I love this game's dark and moody atmosphere. I only got to level two once, hence the controls. They're too sluggish for me.

Boring game then, boring game now, full of cheap hits, slow and excessively hard. The 8-bit SMS/GG version is better IMHO (and don't get me started on Konami's beat 'em up on SNES, which isn't a masterpiece, but is quite entertaining). However, I for one, like the approach Sega took with the graphics: the faded palette and the overall obscurity mixes the vision of Tim Burton with the trend started way back by Neil Adams in the comics (the SNES version just stays true to the movie while IMHO, the MD mixes elements): this Gotham is true to the vision of the gothicism and depression Bob Kane and Bill Finger saw frustrated by the Comic Code.

Overall, a mediocre to bad game with some nice ideas, especially graphically-wise.

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

I enjoyed the Mega Drive version of Batman Returns as a kid because I loved Batman (which kid didn't?) and so I overlooked some of it's problems, but ever since I got the Mega CD version of this title, which tidied up some of the gameplay elements from the platforming sections, added amazing music and truly spectacular driving stages, I have felt no need to ever play the Mega Drive port of the game ever again.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker Team Saber Rider's Avatar

I liked the SNES version very much but I never understood why the didn't include a car ride like in the Mega CD version.

Thread Information