Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Motocross Championship

I remain nonsequitur Shining Hero sheath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ecco View Post
    This game seems great to me!

Why is it so hated? And there is a practice mode, with level select & bike select!

The framerate doesn't bother me. Hell it looks similar to the slight choppiness of Batman Returns (SCD) driving stages. They're also slightly low-framerate but fine, and no one complains about choppiness in Batman Returns. (I don't know how to measure framerate but the choppiness just looks similar to me in both games.)

Plus Motocross has texture-mapping, & the 3D geography must be the nicest 3D geography on the 32x (besides Virtua Racing). All different 3D hills, mountains, jumps, etc.

For contrast, one game that I can't enjoy bc of framerate is Metal Head. I really want to enjoy this game but the extreme choppiness makes it too difficult to enjoy most of the time...
    I've played Dirt Trax FX and Supercross 3D on Jaguar and Motocross Championship is by far the most playable. The only thing wrong with the game is that it would have been put to shame by the second generation of software, if that generation were allowed to be.

People love to hate it because it is on the 32X and people love to hate the 32X thanks to fifteen years of biased journalistic history. Seriously, Motocross Champ is Road Rash on Dirt Bikes with texture mapping.
    "... If Sony reduced the price of the Playstation, Sega would have to follow suit in order to stay competitive, but Saturn's high manufacturing cost would then translate into huge losses for the company." p170 Revolutionaries at Sony.

"We ... put Sega out of the hardware business ..." Peter Dille senior vice president of marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment

Japanese Sonic CD FTW!!! Master of Shinobi Ecco's Avatar

Yeah and maybe those who dislike the game never got used to the controls. All you have to do is hold "down" constantly, and this makes him pull UP on his handlebar so he never wipes out, no matter the jumps.

As for the pinball mess in the beginning, it's annoying but it can often be avoided by driving off to the side & driving ahead...

Also that arcade game looks awesome but I assume that wd be out of the reach of the 32x right? And I love those girls in the arcade game lol

No, that game would have run fine on the 32X at its native resolution.

I need to record the PC sequel Moto Extreme from Artech Studios since there isn't any online. It's basically the same game with sharper graphics.
    "... If Sony reduced the price of the Playstation, Sega would have to follow suit in order to stay competitive, but Saturn's high manufacturing cost would then translate into huge losses for the company." p170 Revolutionaries at Sony.

"We ... put Sega out of the hardware business ..." Peter Dille senior vice president of marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

I basically said my piece in post #12, but:

For contrast, one game that I can't enjoy bc of framerate is Metal Head. I really want to enjoy this game but the extreme choppiness makes it too difficult to enjoy most of the time...
    I actually liked Metal Head. Are you holding down the fast/run button? I found that helped a lot, though that's really a gameplay issue. Maybe I'm just not bothered by the slow framerate.

maybe those who dislike the game never got used to the controls. All you have to do is hold "down" constantly, and this makes him pull UP on his handlebar so he never wipes out, no matter the jumps.
    On higher levels, you do need to hold "up" sometimes to get maximum speed on straightaways. But that's an advanced technique that doesn't become necessary until later in the game, so...

I agree that people don't have the patience to learn the controls, and so write it off prematurely. That said I think Motocross is too repetitive to be a "great" game in the long haul, but I definitely enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Da_Shocker View Post
    BEcasue we should've had this:
    Huh, interesting. Did the development teams have anyone in common, or is there any evidence that Motocross shares any connections? Were there ever any rumors of a Stadium Cross port for 32X?

Quote Originally Posted by sheath View Post
    No, that game would have run fine on the 32X at its native resolution.
    I'd be curious as to Chilly Willy's thoughts on that, though given what we see in Motocross, it's certainly plausible that it could be done. Is there any chance that the game's needs would run afoul of one of the 32X's bottlenecks, though?

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    I'd be curious as to Chilly Willy's thoughts on that, though given what we see in Motocross, it's certainly plausible that it could be done. Is there any chance that the game's needs would run afoul of one of the 32X's bottlenecks, though?
    The only bottleneck in the 32X is the limited RAM for display, but at 320x224 what we're seeing in the screen that is actually scaling is fairly small. Chilly Willy has gone out of his way to show that the 32X could handle full screen true 3D with textures and lighting. A System Multi 32 Game running at the same resolution with a single V70 at 20Mhz should have easily ported to the dual 23Mhz SH2's in the 32X, especially since the Genesis was there to support it with static backgrounds and audio.

Japanese Sonic CD FTW!!! Master of Shinobi Ecco's Avatar

OK so I shouldn't say Motocross is "great" but there are great parts of it IMO. The 3D track must be the best 3D landscaping on 32x (besides Virtua Racing), with texture-mapping, plus the gameplay is great IMO. Just hold down and he flies over any ramp, no problem. The other bikers don't bother me much bc I mostly avoid them.

The music is OK but not great. At least you can turn it off, keeping sound effects on if u want. And play some real rock like Jimi Hendrix. lol

Also yes holding "up" once in a while is helpful to gain speed quickly... But also makes him more vulnerable to wiping out...

When I 1st got the game & didn't know the controls yet, I only held "down" constantly, so he never wipes out, & I beat most stages of the game that way. lol So pressing "up" is good at times, but it seems optional IMO
    Last edited by Ecco; 08-06-2012 at 05:45 PM.

The game controls a lot like Excite Bike. Hold forward on the straight away or after a jump to land level, hold back when hitting jumps or whatever those consecutive bumps are called (mogles?). I consider this part of the whole "easy to pick up and play, rewarding to master" experience of a quality Arcade-Action title.

Nameless One

Even that arcade game linked previously has one of the biggest problems I have with this game -- the draw distance in this is terrible, making cornering in particular way harder than it needs to be. (The camera doesn't turn with the racer -- who thought that was a good idea?)

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

Also yes holding "up" once in a while is helpful to gain speed quickly... But also makes him more vulnerable to wiping out...

When I 1st got the game & didn't know the controls yet, I only held "down" constantly, so he never wipes out, & I beat most stages of the game that way. lol So pressing "up" is good at times, but it seems optional IMO
    If you want to finish in 1st place on Pro difficulty on some of the races, you pretty much have to hold Up on the straightaways to eke out every possible second. But yeah, most of the time you don't need to hold Up, though holding Down on straightaways may slow you down a bit (I don't remember).

Quote Originally Posted by sheath View Post
    The game controls a lot like Excite Bike. Hold forward on the straight away or after a jump to land level
    ...though in Motocross, if you hold forward (Up) when you're doing anything but going on a level straightaway, you'll probably wipe out. That gets annoying when you're climbing a hill and not catching any air; leaning forward shouldn't really make you wipe out under those conditions.

Thread Information