Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arch Rivals

Thumbs down Arch Rivals

Before NBA Jam, Midway tested the waters with another two-on-two basketbrawl game called Arch Rivals. Regardless of arcade success, the formula didn't translate well at all on the Genesis, and what we got was basically a shell of the coin-op. Even so, we've bravely set out onto the court for a hands-on, and we've come back with a full review, so read it before someone pulls our pants down!
    Last edited by Melf; 07-12-2011 at 09:12 AM.

My, we are on like a three or four week streak of reviewing lame, poor quality and crappy sports and other useless games (not an insult to any of the reviewers because I'm part of it too). I'm actually looking forward to seeing some "quality" games reviewed soon.

If this game was anywhere near as bad as the NES version then I'll stear clear of it because it sucked on the NES.
    Check out my review channel at GameFaqs here. Then feel free to leave feedback and comment here

Sudo

Quote Originally Posted by vintagegamecrazy View Post
    My, we are on like a three or four week streak of reviewing lame, poor quality and crappy sports and other useless games (not an insult to any of the reviewers because I'm part of it too). I'm actually looking forward to seeing some "quality" games reviewed soon.

If this game was anywhere near as bad as the NES version then I'll stear clear of it because it sucked on the NES.
    A big part of that is the fact that most of the good games already have reviews.

I wonder if there are any good games left to review? Maybe it's time for second opinions on older reviews (Thunder Blade).
    On a wave of mutilation

https://minirevver.weebly.com/

There are still plenty of good games to review. Any second opinions would have to be through the "Double Take" feature series, since we're only publishing one review per game.

another bad game, with too low of a score

seriously, this game is not worse than great basketball on the SMS

a 4 would be more appropriate

I know there's plenty of good games to review but I just meant to say that we have had a long string of forgettable games reviewed.
    Check out my review channel at GameFaqs here. Then feel free to leave feedback and comment here

Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    There are still plenty of good games to review. Any second opinions would have to be through the "Double Take" feature series, since we're only publishing one review per game.
    Maybe you should reconsider, or let writers edit their reviews? I've seen a few of these:
    "Nick Gibson here - I really underscored this game. It deserves a 7 or 8. Not as good as the original, but I was too harsh the first time."

Double Takes are great but they're not in the same section, people might miss them.

Anyway, I thought really hard about what games you could review next. These deserve some more attention I think:
    Alien 3
    Battle Mania Daiginjyou - It's been translated.
    Lost World
    Great Circus Mystery
    King of the Monsters 2
    Langrisser II - It's been fully translated.
    Micro Machines Military
    Puggsy
    Rampart
    Techno Clash
    Uncharted Waters: New Horizons

Beyond that, there's a few hundred sports games, licensed games and some Amiga ports.
    On a wave of mutilation

There's a few non sports games left in my list to get done but not too many. I have already sent 4 reviews to melf not posted yet and non sports games. After that, I'm going to jump on the sports bandwagon since there's several golf games I'm enjoying now.

Quote Originally Posted by Alianger View Post
    Maybe you should reconsider, or let writers edit their reviews? I've seen a few of these:
    "Nick Gibson here - I really underscored this game. It deserves a 7 or 8. Not as good as the original, but I was too harsh the first time."
    Writers can revise their reviews at any time, so that's not a problem. I really don't see the point of multiple reviews for games though. Not only would that mean I'd be posting a review for Gunstar Heroes and Sonic 2 every other week, but it wouldn't really help the reader either. Just take a look at GameFaqa - the only site that really even embraces multiple reviews per game; none of the major outlets use them - Sonic 2 has 63 reviews... 63! No one is going to read that many reviews at all, so posting such a number only serves for most of them to get lost among the crowd.

Altered Beast is another one that doesn't help the reader. There are over 30 different reviews, with scores ranging from a 1 to a 9. Such diversity of scores does nothing to give a solid idea of how good the game is. The reader is left with no real choice but to try the game out for himself, which means there was no point in posting so many reviews in the first place.

I think we have a great compromise with our current system. The site posts a single review for each game, which offers a defining opinion, and the readers can both comment and score it themselves as well as discuss both the review and the game in the forum. This means that the reader gets the site's "official" opinion, as well as reader feedback, all without any conflict.

Anyway, I thought really hard about what games you could review next. These deserve some more attention I think:
    Alien 3
    Battle Mania Daiginjyou - It's been translated.
    Lost World
    Great Circus Mystery
    King of the Monsters 2
    Langrisser II - It's been fully translated.
    Micro Machines Military
    Puggsy
    Rampart
    Techno Clash
    Uncharted Waters: New Horizons

Beyond that, there's a few hundred sports games, licensed games and some Amiga ports.
    I can think of many more games I think are good and deserve reviewing, but these are all good mentions (some are in the pipeline as we speak).

Master of Shinobi Dirt Ball Gamer's Avatar

I did not really like this review. It felt pretty short sighted and like the reviewer just wanted to slam it. If you didn't play the game when it first came out and you just play it now many years later on an emulator you will probably be jaded and unwilling to give it a chance. It's not a great game by any means, but for the time it came out it is a pretty decent version of the arcade game. Its really better to play it with 2 players also. It is kinda crappy but it has it's old school charms. I would give it at least a 5 but for me personally bc of nostalgia its a 6 for me. No disrespect intended to the author just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt Ball Gamer View Post
    I did not really like this review. It felt pretty short sighted and like the reviewer just wanted to slam it. If you didn't play the game when it first came out and you just play it now many years later on an emulator you will probably be jaded and unwilling to give it a chance. It's not a great game by any means, but for the time it came out it is a pretty decent version of the arcade game. Its really better to play it with 2 players also. It is kinda crappy but it has it's old school charms. I would give it at least a 5 but for me personally bc of nostalgia its a 6 for me. No disrespect intended to the author just my opinion.
    You know, it's kinda funny. Because I DID own the game back when it was released, and I DID play it on my Genesis and not just on an emulator (I generally do both before I write a review). I tested two player mode together with someone who hadn't ever played the game before - after about two minutes in he laughingly said "Dear god, this game is crap!" and went on like that until we were done, and I just couldn't help but agreeing with him. In my eyes, the game had turned out to be far worse than I remembered it, and nostalgia didn't help its cause.

Though I have to admit that I was pending between a 3 or a 2 rating. I ended up with the 2, mainly because I figured that someone who never had played the game before will very likely tend to the lower rating.
    The funny thing about an oxymoron is, even if you remove the ox, there'll always be a moron. The Question Remains: Y?

Master of Shinobi Dirt Ball Gamer's Avatar

My fault then. I wasn't meaning to hate. I'm probably just one of the few people who for whatever strange reason enjoy old bad games (but not new bad ones)

Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    Writers can revise their reviews at any time, so that's not a problem. I really don't see the point of multiple reviews for games though. Not only would that mean I'd be posting a review for Gunstar Heroes and Sonic 2 every other week, but it wouldn't really help the reader either. Just take a look at GameFaqa - the only site that really even embraces multiple reviews per game; none of the major outlets use them - Sonic 2 has 63 reviews... 63! No one is going to read that many reviews at all, so posting such a number only serves for most of them to get lost among the crowd.

Altered Beast is another one that doesn't help the reader. There are over 30 different reviews, with scores ranging from a 1 to a 9. Such diversity of scores does nothing to give a solid idea of how good the game is. The reader is left with no real choice but to try the game out for himself, which means there was no point in posting so many reviews in the first place.

I think we have a great compromise with our current system. The site posts a single review for each game, which offers a defining opinion, and the readers can both comment and score it themselves as well as discuss both the review and the game in the forum. This means that the reader gets the site's "official" opinion, as well as reader feedback, all without any conflict.

Yeah good point of course, gamefaqs system is terrible but I was thinking more along the lines of having 2 reviews per game with a "Melfs seal of quality" on them. Or 1 review per game, but including a 1 paragraf's length second opinion by another staff writer, preferably of a different opinion than the review. Kinda like they do in video game mags.

The quality of reviews have definitely increased since I first entered the site several years ago, and you don't see many recent scores that don't seem to have reasonable arguments to back them up. But for some older reviews I wouldn't like to call them the official opinion of the site because looking at the comments or forum discussion, most people disagree completely (such as with Thunder Blade that I mentioned earlier, or Columns, or Alex Kidd).
    Well, it's just a thought I've had but never brought up, thanks for replying.

Btw, if it's not too much hassle I would like to request that you could edit your comments/ratings on reviews. Ones opinion might change overtime or maybe one have been too quick to judge a game that one barely played.
    On a wave of mutilation

I'll second the edit comment option.

Thread Information