Quantcast

Thread: Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine

Default Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine

Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine is one of the most addictive puzzle games I've ever had the pleasure of playing. That's probably because it uses the legendary Puyo Puyo game play style, which is widely-regarded as being among the best puzzle game systems.
    Last edited by Melf; 07-23-2011 at 08:36 PM.

an Awesome Puyo Puyo Clone, doesn't look quite as good though

Sonic

My favorite puzzle game of all time (Yoshi's Cookie is #2). And who would have thought Sega would have went with the "Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog" cartoon license instead of the Saturday morning show?

Quote Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
    My favorite puzzle game of all time (Yoshi's Cookie is #2). And who would have thought Sega would have went with the "Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog" cartoon license instead of the Saturday morning show?
    That's because this game came out a month after SatAM did, resulting in too little time to change the character licensing.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!
    Quote Originally Posted by llj View Post
    Count me as someone who never liked the Turbo/Hyper Fighting iterations of Street Fighter 2. The speed ups always struck me as too "Benny Hill".

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    That's because this game came out a month after SatAM did, resulting in too little time to change the character licensing.
    Interesting! I do think AoStH's wacky villians roster fits the tone of a game like this.

Sonic trivia note:
    This game features many evil robots from the show's Pilot episode ["The Super Special Sonic Search and Smash Squad"] who were never seen again in the show's run!

My Wife Loves this game. I never knew about it until I met her. She first had it for genesis as a kid and was a expert at it. We then get it on Mega collections and I try it and get the concept. Every time we VS she destroys me...She claims the Chicken its the hardest comp.
    -Rick "Only fools oppose the almighty Megatron"

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...light=foxhound

Bite my shiny, metal ***! Hero of Algol retrospiel's Avatar

Import Puyo Puyo and Puyo Puyo 2 for her! She'll love them! - The first was used as a blue print for Mean Bean Machine - like Magical Hat and Decap Attack, or Bare Knuckle 3 and Streets of Rage 3 ^ ^
    The later is its Japan exclusive sequel. - Both games were designed by Compile, the guys behind MUSHA Aleste.

Nowadays they're part of Sonic Team, which is funny considering that their earliest Puyo Puyo game was redesigned with a Sonic theme for the Western markets.
    Last edited by retrospiel; 07-31-2009 at 09:11 PM.
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

Then we set about developing killer games.

- Hayao Nakayama, Mega Drive Collected Works (p. 17)

Quote Originally Posted by FoxHound View Post
    My Wife Loves this game. I never knew about it until I met her. She first had it for genesis as a kid and was a expert at it. We then get it on Mega collections and I try it and get the concept. Every time we VS she destroys me...She claims the Chicken its the hardest comp.
    You mean Scratch? Heh, one of my favorite character duos, Scratch and Grounder. Like the Bebop and Rocksteady of Sonic the Hedgehog.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!
    Quote Originally Posted by llj View Post
    Count me as someone who never liked the Turbo/Hyper Fighting iterations of Street Fighter 2. The speed ups always struck me as too "Benny Hill".

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

Children are foolish. At least I was…

My younger bro loved AoSH. I followed it with a passion, but he was obsessed over all things Sonic directly (he was only 6 or 7, poor kiddo). So it's no wonder he loved this game. After a couple of rentals, we bought it despite my opposition (you know, big bro trying to influence his younger sibling) and seemingly having convinced him to get X-Men. To say I got angry would be an understatement, as I didn't like puzzle games. AT ALL. I made all the spoiled brat/drama King spectacle! As time passed, though, I started to get hooked to this, and to think maybe he was right. He humiliated me on all 1 vs 1 battles, but, still, he got me to play this game.
    Now almost 25 years have passed. I got so hooked to this style of gaming I even bought Puyo Tetris for my PS4, and playing Dr. Robotnik's last winter, I trashed my brother (which was a personal relief, I must say), going full circle. So, I have to say, back then he was right and I was wrong.

While I loved AoSH, over time, I think it would have been better for me to meet Arle and Co. back then: When I played Puyo Pop Fever and she made a cameo, I got completely lost. That, and you'll understand that, after all those years, finding out that Carbuncle was supposed to be a good guy… Sigh… Anyway, this is a Puyo Puyo localization, not PP itself.

For starters, despite the colorful presentation and featuring Long John Baldry's (he rocked) "Pingas" Robotnik, Scratch and Grounder, this game is tough. So tough that Japanese gamers imported it for a harder Puyo Puyo challenge. And I still think, a quarter-century later, that we're talking about the thoughest game on the historical series by Compile. That said, it's a beautiful game, including several badniks from the original series, but adding a lot of color and even some personality to them. Morover, Carbuncle's animations are as cute as they can be. The music is splendid and catchy, albeit a bit repetitive. Great stuff overall. I wonder how my video game collection would be now if we finally bought X-Men, though...

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner Gryson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bigladiesman View Post
    this game is tough. So tough that Japanese gamers imported it for a harder Puyo Puyo challenge.
    Where did you hear this? I've never played the American version, so I don't know about difficulty changes (I know they added a password, though).

Quote Originally Posted by Gryson View Post
    Where did you hear this? I've never played the American version, so I don't know about difficulty changes (I know they added a password, though).
    Good question! I know (or I think) I read that somewhere and I've written that by heart. I'll find a source or else I'll write it out or do a corrigendum.

Edit:
    CORRIGENDUM: I wrote my last post by heart, convinced that I read somewhere that Dr. Robotnik is harder than Puyo Puyo and even talking about Japanese players importing the game given its increased difficulty. After checking sources and ending out without grounds to confirm my claim, I'm taking it back. I commited myself to be truthful in these forums and this time I made a mistake (unless someone confirms the aforementioned statement, of course). Qui té boca s'equivoca i que té nas, se'l moca (a traditional proverb from my country: "The one who has a mouth blows it; the one who has a nose, blows it [too]").
    Last edited by bigladiesman; 09-27-2018 at 07:11 PM.

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner Gryson's Avatar

Well, it would have been par for the course to increase the difficulty when localizing, so I wouldn't necessarily be surprised, but Puyo Puyo isn't exactly easy on "hard" mode or whatever...

Quote Originally Posted by Gryson View Post
    Well, it would have been par for the course to increase the difficulty when localizing, so I wouldn't necessarily be surprised, but Puyo Puyo isn't exactly easy on "hard" mode or whatever...
    Yes, I know developers tended to increase difficulty when localizing games for the West, but a déformation profesionelle (I'm a profesional librarian/archivist) brings me to check if my statements are true when somebody asks. I work on checking information and sources, so, for me it's a personal duty, you know So, I'm taking your word for it: as a veteran Puyo Puyo player I consider you a reliable source.
    Last edited by bigladiesman; 09-27-2018 at 07:23 PM.

This is the only puzzle game I ever beat on Genesis.

I also once tried to play it on a black and white TV... it was a nightmare but not impossible.
    Sega Genesis Master Set Collector
    https://vgcollect.com/Tripredacus/gen

Quote Originally Posted by Tripredacus View Post
    This is the only puzzle game I ever beat on Genesis.

I also once tried to play it on a black and white TV... it was a nightmare but not impossible.
    Now this is what I call a big challenge.

Thread Information