Quantcast

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: Eternal Champions

Japanese Sonic CD FTW!!! Master of Shinobi Ecco's Avatar

Sorry if it seems redundant but the chunky-pixel problem actually really interests me, bc it's the one thing I still have trouble getting used to.

I just tried it on emulation but it looked a lot worse than my normal Genesis set-up (composite on flatscreen TV). On the PC every pixel really jumps out, much worse than on TV.

I also found that on my TV, it HELPS if I sit further AWAY from the TV (so the distance helps everything blend together and the pixels stop looking so rough).
    Last edited by Ecco; 12-25-2013 at 01:00 AM.

Master of Shinobi midnightrider's Avatar

Hmm... it wasn't this game, but I did just finish one that had bits of dithering, in Fusion. Switched over to T.V. mode(RF) and it looked a lot smoother, like that was how it was meant to be seen.

So, is it basically that the dithering shows when you try to have a better set up than what was originally intended?

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

Read through this thread and found it quite amusing. Glad I'm not the only one who finds this game too hard. I really like the story, characters and art style in Eternal Champions but I just can't play it, it's way too fucking difficult! I'm not some cack-handed gimp at fighting games either, I'm pretty good at Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter games, but I just found the AI in Eternal Champions as cheap and as annoying as hell. Also sending you back to fight the previous guy if you lose your current match? What the fuck was that all about?! Eternal Champions: Challenge From The Dark Side on the Mega CD addressed some of these problems and is a slightly more forgiving game to play but only just. It's a pity actually as I really, really want to like Eternal Champions but it's just too frigging hard for me. I never played it as a kid either and I do wonder what my younger self would have made of it back in the day and whether or not I'd have had more patience with it. Possibly but possibly not!

Bring on the noise! WCPO Agent Bones Justice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mega Drive Bowlsey View Post
    I just found the AI in Eternal Champions as cheap and as annoying as hell. Also sending you back to fight the previous guy if you lose your current match?
    Sending you back to do-over makes sense because all of the characters are time-travelers. Screw-up / lose / die and you are sent back in time to try again. This happens in time-travel stories all the time and nobody complains about it.

I think the AI is good, you just have to learn how to fight each opponent differently. I do wish the computer had to use special energy, though. It's great to have taunts in the two-player game but I don't have any human opponents that will play this competently anymore. Is it possible for the game to be hacked / re-programmed to require the computer to have energy before using specials? A Game Genie code maybe?
    Slayer-1: "Minus 210 degrees...minus 215...minus 220. Why are you still standing?"

Bones: "My will...will not die."

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ-iQfP3mFs

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bones Justice View Post
    Sending you back to do-over makes sense because all of the characters are time-travelers. Screw-up / lose / die and you are sent back in time to try again. This happens in time-travel stories all the time and nobody complains about it.

I think the AI is good, you just have to learn how to fight each opponent differently. I do wish the computer had to use special energy, though. It's great to have taunts in the two-player game but I don't have any human opponents that will play this competently anymore. Is it possible for the game to be hacked / re-programmed to require the computer to have energy before using specials? A Game Genie code maybe?
    I never thought about the time travel aspect but even giving it allowance for that I still think it's a pretty unforgiving game. Not everybody has weeks to spend mastering a game's combat system. Having said that I respect the fact that Eternal Champions has the kind of depth that rewards mastering each character's fighting style. I owe it to the game to spend more time with it I think.

Beat Em Ups Master of Shinobi cowboyscowboys's Avatar

It would be cool if someone could take Eternal Champions CD and port most of it to the Genesis. There are so many Mortal Kombat hacks I guess EC's doesn't have a big enough following. Also I don't think EC's gets the recognition it deserves for its time it was pretty impressive especially considering it was a U.S. project.
    Girl's Asian Please
    NFL Dallas Cowboys
    MLB Toronto Blue Jays
    NHL St.Louis Blues
    NBA Golden St. Warriors

The Shadow knows Road Rasher Allard's Avatar

You know, I just took a look at EC through the Kega Fusion with the built-in TV Mode (RF) filter and it really does blur out pretty much all the dithering. As far as I'm concerned, it's not the dev's fault that the modern display tech far overstepped the limitations they were using at the time.
    Formerly known as -RT

Here we are, Eternal Champions has three versions.

There are 2 cases.
    - Plastic Case
    - Mega Hit Series cardboard box

There are 3 cartridges
    - regular, Sega Assembled in USA (dark black plastic)
    - Not for Resale, Sega Assembled in USA (dark black plastic)
    - ESRB label, Sega Assembled in USA (lighter black plastic)

In this picture there is the case for the regular, and the 3 carts. Regular release, NFR label and Mega Hits Series which is identifyable by the ESRB label on the cart.

It is unknown to me whether it is common that the Mega Hits Series cart always has a difference in the plastic on the cart or if it is just mine. In my example, the color is more dark gray than black, and the surface is smoother than the other two... less of a texture.

You can somewhat see it, maybe.

If you know any other versions, please post them here!
    Sega Genesis Master Set Collector
    https://vgcollect.com/Tripredacus/gen

Toejam is a wiener. Master of Shinobi SEGA-Jorge's Avatar

Eternal Champions is a game I'd love to see the FGC pick up as an old, terribly balanced game to play seriously in short bursts. I love to see old games played at semi-high levels. Even if they end up totally broken, seeing the meta-game develop for old games that never got their fair shake in the competitive scene is always enjoyable. You haven't seen anything till you've seen serious Weaponlord, or serious SF EX3.
    Last edited by SEGA-Jorge; 05-13-2018 at 09:49 PM.

Case in point:
    https://youtu.be/34-1I8Fggk4

This game is fun, and neither of those guys were playing Trident well.

So, upon further inspection, I can't seem to reliably do combos, which makes me think that combos don't seem to work as expected, or normal/typical hitstun is not implemented as I'd expect.

Multi-hit muves are occasionally blockable after the first hit. And moves that seem like they'd link, based on startup/link speed, also don't combo.

(Tested in multiplayer)

A impressive title for it's time, with a nice backstory. Yes losing send you back and the Eternal Champions is hard as Nails. But after playing it for al these years I discoverd a 'Throw-trick' which allows you to connect Throw after Throw after Throw. Made the game a lot easier
    SEEEEEGGGGAAAA!!!

The Cat in the Hat Hero of Algol NeoVamp's Avatar

Shame about the fucked up difficulty\AI, it did everything else right.

What did you guys think of the character balance in Eternal Champions? I've beaten the game twice, both with Larcen, but I've noticed that it's much easier with certain characters. Some characters just have terrible range or move like they're going through Molasses. Larcen and Shadow were just significantly better than say, Xavier or Midknight.

I will say though that Eternal Champions' character designs were definitely the most interesting that I've seen in a fighting game. The sprites were also really well-done. The gameplay overall was a SFII knockoff that wasn't quite refined though.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!
    Quote Originally Posted by llj View Post
    Count me as someone who never liked the Turbo/Hyper Fighting iterations of Street Fighter 2. The speed ups always struck me as too "Benny Hill".

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    What did you guys think of the character balance in Eternal Champions? I've beaten the game twice, both with Larcen, but I've noticed that it's much easier with certain characters. Some characters just have terrible range or move like they're going through Molasses. Larcen and Shadow were just significantly better than say, Xavier or Midknight.
    Not great, for the reasons you stated. Midknight, in particular, is almost impossibly awkward to use effectively, and I'm assuming the developers agreed since he was completely reanimated and given a new moveset in EC:CD.

Thread Information