Quantcast

Thread: Faery Tale Adventure

Default Faery Tale Adventure

Faery Tale Adventure in my opinion was a very good game; not as good as the Phantasy Star series or a lot of other Genesis RPG's, but still capable of providing hours of challenge and exploration.
    Last edited by Melf; 07-26-2011 at 09:37 PM.

I loved this game on the Amiga. The SEGA conversion was very faithful to it. I need to dig that cart out and play it again.

A hint to those just starting - don't venture too far from home until you've built up your hit points! Leaving home and trying to make it anywhere else on low hit points is an exercise in futility! Go far enough out of town to attract bandits (you can tell when the music changes), then run back to town and ambush the bandits one at a time from alleys and around buildings. Don't try to take on archers at all! You'll get gold, weapons, the occasional item, and precious experience by beating the bandits that way. Wait until you pass about 200 or so experience before trying to leave the town for somewhere else.

Stuck in the Past Shining Hero The Jackal's Avatar

I never heard of this! Is it rare or something?

Not that I'm aware of. Just not terribly well known unless you had played the Amiga version. It's a really nice RPG. My brother and I made maps and tables of where all the stone rings would transport you.

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

I just beat this game, and wanted to share some comments I wrote in the "Winner Is You" thread:

Not altogether easy to figure out what to say about Faery Tale Adventure. First of all, it has what may be the best password system I've ever seen in a RPG -- as painless as it's possible for such a thing to be. It basically acts exactly like a game with battery-backed save, except you of course need to write down the password before powering down. Kudos for that.

Graphics and music are serviceable, but no more, so enough about those. The game is put together in a highly unusual way, with a world map that seems dozens of times larger than any other RPG I've played -- but most of that is essentially empty space. Journeying between locations takes five minutes or more. Even the dungeons have huge tracts of land, entire wings, devoted to...absolutely nothing. And the NPCs are pretty few and far between, and say very little.

In some ways I really like that, since it subverts the "a purpose to every room and a treasure chest 'round every corner" trope common to RPGs, and makes playing the game actually feel a bit like walking in the wilderness. It reminds me of Lord of the Rings Vol. 1 for SNES, though that game is more overtly structured.

The manual includes a map of the entire game world, which is obviously crucial, though it can be a little demoralizing to realize that walking for two minutes translates to about a centimeter's worth of map. The manual also has a weird, almost adversarial attitude towards the game, at one point advising you to use the equivalent of save-state cheating to game the treasure chests! The people who ported the game seem to have been ambivalent about it, or at least worried that it was too hard; even before you get to the walkthrough at the end (which covers the whole damn game), there are broad hints in the item descriptions and so forth. That said, there are notable omissions (like, say, not telling you how to sleep) and at least one outright error, each, on the map and in the walkthrough.

As it turns out, the difficulty curve is reverse-exponential -- you start out weak as a kitten, but after you reach a certain threshold of strength (Bravery), there's essentially no reason whatsoever to ever get killed. I kept expecting to be challenged, but even the final enemy was a pushover. Probably the hardest part of the game -- after surviving the beginning, that is -- is making it through the game's two major dungeons, where the mapping items (Bird Totems) don't operate. Similarly, the puzzles and fetching-quests mostly get easier as the game goes on, as long as you follow the principles of visiting every named location on the map, and carrying enough Bird Totems to know where you are.

The anticlimactic ending (albeit with one nifty mini-puzzle that I solved by accident) has kind of left a sour taste in my mouth after a game I otherwise enjoyed. Still, I think it's a fine game, and certainly a distinctive one. When the CRPG Addict said he was giving up on the DOS version of the game because it felt boring and empty, I think someone invoked the cliché that "it's all about the journey, man".

And actually, Faery Tale Adventure really is an RPG about traveling. And that mostly works for me. 8/10.

BTW, some extra things I didn't post in the Winner is You thread:

- Anyone notice that, when the game announces the number of slain enemies after a battle, the count is always too low by one?

- I was able to trigger a weird glitch by summoning the turtle immediately before a fight. The resulting enemies were corrupted sprites, half-wraiths (or whatever) and half-turtle.

- Another odd glitch: the password can't record a Bravery value higher than 510, so if you save and restore, you lose any excess Bravery. I assume it's a 9-bit number.

- Dumb UI idea: the "More..." button for NPC text is the same as the combat button, which makes it all too easy to double-tap. I accidentally killed the Priest and had to restore my savegame!
    Last edited by goldenband; 01-11-2012 at 08:50 PM.

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

Oh, I forgot another one: the game's not fully compatible with 6-button controllers. It makes the tavern and stone circle menus go nuts. Holding down Mode on startup fixes it, of course.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One Aleste's Avatar

I'm so glad the Genesis library has this game, it really enriches it.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

^ Do you mind going into a little more detail on why you feel this way?

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One Aleste's Avatar

Sure. First, let me say that I'm very grateful for the trilogy of New World Computing output on the Genesis. I know that back then, people weren't especially looking for ports of computer games for their shiny new console, but now the situation is a whole lotta different and accomplished ports of such games make a library shine.

Joe Pearce's port of FTA is quite good because it solves brilliantly the issue of double interface (joystick + mouse) of the original, fixes several bugs (the infamous turtle boosting stats method), and makes some welcome gameplay improvements (more user friendly use of warp circles; taverns now sell travel food rations). I also think that the subtle graphical reworking (mainly on the main sprites, making them less skewed than in the original) works in the game's favour.

The game is playable and complete, doesn't feel like a stepdown or a truncated version like many other ports from Amiga. Only music and especially sound effects understandably take a hit in the conversion.

As for the game itself, what to say... a true classic of very early free-roaming exploration, with a day-night cycle that hasn't arguably been beaten during the whole 2D sprite age: the next one to have it so good is probably Majora's Mask, a good thirteen years later. Uncommon "faery tale" theme as opposed to the abused generic fantasy one. True old school sense of being completely lost without a physical map as a reference; sparse hints that make this the best answer to NES' Simon's Quest. Graphics tiles and spritework of an iconic quality similar to the first Phantasy Star.

Overall one of the most distinctive and unique experiences you can have on the genny.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

Thanks! I'm not too familiar with the game, but everything I've read about it (I try to not look too much into games before playing them) has made me interested in it. I can see where it's not for everyone, but there's something about this style of game that piques my interest. What I find kind of interesting is that I haven't really read anything negative about the game. It seems to have a small but strong fanbase. The more time that goes on, the more I feel like I have to add it to my library of games. I've always held off when finding it because I feel like this is one where the manual would be particularly useful.

Thread Information