Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fire Shark

I still remember the first time I finished this...

I couldn't stop laughing.

I managed to beat this on hard. It was a damn intense gaming session.

Level 6 Rocket Knight Raging in the Streets jerry coeurl's Avatar

I played this sweet game up through stage 8 without dying once on Normal difficulty last night. When I did die, though, I was faced with what was basically an impossible section for an unpowered ship, and managed to lose all 10 of my continues within a 15 minute time-frame!

Love this game, though.

Quote Originally Posted by soviet View Post
    If Sega making condoms,I will to one-night-stands in every night~

Death Adder's minion

I felt really disapointed with this game,sure its kinda fun but the graphics are average and there are a limited amount of music tracks that soon repeat themselves.The power up system is uninspired,with only really one usefull weapon,which once aquired makes it very difficult to lose.The only saving grace for me is the ultra cool Japanese box art especially the rear of the box.Definitely average in terms of Toaplan shooters on the system in my opinion.

I have to say that this game is awesome and deserves more praise. Much better than Truxton IMO.
    It's such an intense game ( with no slowdown! ), that keeps you on your toes all the time with some rocking music; i love how just before you crash you still can take some enemies with you.

My only gripe with FS it's with those damn checkpoints; if you make a mistake on the latter levels, it completely screws with your game.

Very satisfying vertical shooter &, except the lack of a tate option which occured on almost all systems at that time (MD; PCE; SNES; Neo Geo...), it's overall a great port (& i love that cyan blue everywhere!).

Toaplan absolutely rocked on the Mega Drive! (even more when comparing to the PC Engine's offering like Daisenpū / Daisenpū Custom; Zero Wing or Tatsujin which are average in comparison to their Mega Drive counterparts)

Outrunner

I will always identify Fireshark as one of those 4-meg pirate darlings that counterfeiters love to shoehorn into virtually every multi-game pirate you come across. It, along with Growl, Golden Axe II, Bare Knuckle, Tetris, and the tiny Mega Modem games (Flicky, Magic Pyramid, etc) all form that collective group of about a dozen 4m or lower ganes that make up the majority of those releases.

The Gaming Gangsta Master of Shinobi profholt82's Avatar

Fire Shark (Toaplan, 1990)

Whilst not without its share of niggling issues, Fire Shark's addictingly fun gameplay keeps me coming back for more.

The difficulty curve is staggered well. The first few stages give you enough of a challenge so as to not put you to sleep, but after a few sessions, most veteran gamers should be able to get through the first 3 or 4 levels on a single credit. However, the pace picks up at that point, and by the 7th and 8th levels, if your ship isn't powered up, the game can and usually will tan your hide.

Your main plane and the enemy sprites are drawn well enough, and ooze that early Genesis charm, but the static backgrounds leave much to be desired. They're generally desert or water, and often appear rather plain Jane with no movement and little detail. At the conclusion of each level, your plane will briefly land at a base where tiny little green soldiers can be seen running around and sometimes form into a formation which is a cool sight. And these sequences occasionally throw in some humor, such as when a soldier boards a plane and takes off next to your plane as if he is going to be your wing man, but then promptly crashes before the level begins. If you look closely, you'll see the poor little fella lying in the smoldering wreckage twitching. It's sick, but hilarious.

Fire Shark features great music, but not enough of it. The songs actually begin repeating themselves in later levels. The music is rocking though, and certainly suits the gameplay. The sound effects don't fare quite as well, but they are adequate, and are not grating on the ears or anything.

During gameplay, there are three types of shots at your disposal, green, teal and red. Green is my least favorite. It is powerful, but shoots only straight ahead unless it is fully powered up, and even then, it has rather limited lateral range. Teal is the least powerful, but it spreads outward across the screen. Red is a powerful flame thrower, and when fully powered it can nearly cover the entire screen. The power ups are little colored squares which float all around the screen and bounce off the sides. If your teal or red weapon is powered up and the green square (or sometimes squares, yes, plural) is bouncing around, you must do your best to dodge it like an enemy. And while annoying, this honestly adds an extra challenge that I don't particularly mind, but others may.

The game suffers from a lack of true end bosses. Some levels feature a large powerful ship or plane that you will have to take out at end of the level. While others have nothing to offer, but perhaps a series of planes in a row that are a little more difficult than a normal enemy, but nothing like a true end boss. Some of the levels are on the short side as well. As in you blink and they're done, so when there's no true end boss, this is cause for disappointment. However, there is little to no slowdown to speak of throughout the game, even during an end boss battle or when an abundance of enemies fill the screen. This is impressive considering it is an early Genesis title.

The game's flaws notwithstanding, it is quite fun and addictive. The plane handles smoothly with the ability to upgrade its speed throughout, and the shooting just feels so effortless and natural. While the later stages can test your patience when enemies appear fast and furiously, I always feel in control, and that if I am shot down, it is of my own doing. Speaking of which, when you're shot down, the game gives you a couple of seconds to get off a shot or two before you crash to your demise. So you get the chance to exact a little revenge, such a great touch. So while Fire Shark is not perfect by any stretch, the amazing gameplay more than makes up for its deficiencies.

8/10

Thread Information