Quantcast

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ghouls 'N Ghosts

Default Ghouls 'N Ghosts

Released in 1989, the word was that Ghouls 'N Ghosts was an almost perfect arcade conversion of the original Capcom Arcade, although I hear some of the backgrounds were changed in one of the later areas. Regardless, this is one of the finest platformers on the Genesis, even 15 years after its release.
    Last edited by Melf; 07-29-2011 at 09:49 PM.

Move Between worlds Raging in the Streets TheEdge's Avatar

Was this on the turbografx as well as SNES?
    "A Radical is One Who Speaks the Truth"

http://the-coolinator-lounge.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by beef jerky man View Post
    There's not many people willing to go against the grain, which explains why we're in such a dilapidated state. I personally commend The Edge for being so resilient.

Angry Liberal Arts Major Hero of Algol Iron Lizard's Avatar

Good read. Though I would not say the graphics are as good as the arcade version. Much more has changed then one level.

Allright! Time for bragging rights.

I just got this game a few days ago and sat down with it and just finished it tonight all the way through legitimately, Loki too!

Needless to say, it felt GOOOOD!!
    Check out my review channel at GameFaqs here. Then feel free to leave feedback and comment here

Elemental Master WCPO Agent GameUser-16-32-128's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheEdge View Post
    Was this on the turbografx as well as SNES?
    Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts (not Ghouls 'n Ghosts) came out for the SNES. Ghouls 'n Ghosts came out for the Supergrafx, but not for the Turbografx-16.

Move Between worlds Raging in the Streets TheEdge's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GameUser-16-32-128 View Post
    Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts (not Ghouls 'n Ghosts) came out for the SNES. Ghouls 'n Ghosts came out for the Supergrafx, but not for the Turbografx-16.

oh.... Too bad for Turbografx-16 I think it would have looked great on the TG.

Quote Originally Posted by vintagegamecrazy View Post
    Allright! Time for bragging rights.

I just got this game a few days ago and sat down with it and just finished it tonight all the way through legitimately, Loki too!

Needless to say, it felt GOOOOD!!
    Thats probably the most amazing thing I have ever heard. Good Jobby. Also how much did you pay for this cart? I am really looking at buying it.
    "A Radical is One Who Speaks the Truth"

http://the-coolinator-lounge.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by beef jerky man View Post
    There's not many people willing to go against the grain, which explains why we're in such a dilapidated state. I personally commend The Edge for being so resilient.

Quote Originally Posted by theedge
    Thats probably the most amazing thing I have ever heard. Good Jobby. Also how much did you pay for this cart? I am really looking at buying it.
    $2.99 at Goodwill, I already had a box and manual for it.
    Check out my review channel at GameFaqs here. Then feel free to leave feedback and comment here

good game still fun to play but had it first on the sms and i like that one a little more
    it yust that it was one of the first games i played on the sms

Actually, acdc, I can't stand the SMS version. The jumping is terrible and it's darn hard to make several of the jumps in the second stage making the game overly frustrating when It shouldn't be.

This is the only one of the series I actually beat on the hardest difficulty, by far the easiest of the series. It really helps a lot that you can fire in multiple directions and the weapons aren't too bad, unlike the SNES game were the only really good weapons were the daggers and crossbow. Shame I only have the cart, how on earth do people lose the manual, and those clam shell cases?

EGM's 1989 Game Of The Year right here. Their cover story for EGM #4 and GOTM for Fall of '89. It also charted in their Top 100 Games Of All Time list in their 100th issue. I think that this was the first game that EGM fanaticized over.

It's also amongst my Top 5 favorite Genny games of all time, and I was exposed to it due to EGM's mentioning of it being one of the "Hot Games of '89" in their 8th Anniversary issue back in '96. Ever since then I went on to own 4 copies of G&G: first was cart-only which I lost when it accidentally fell through my bedroom window and was subsequently stolen by some fuckhead; 2nd was a non-working cart-only copy; 3rd was a CIB which almost single-handedly caused me to sell of my entire Genesis collection at the time and switch to the SNES (due to being pissed at losing in the last level for so long), 4th was also a CIB which I held and treasured for many years before I sold off all of my cart systems and games back in 2006.

Despite their already being superior ports, the Genny G&G still holds a place in my heart. It was programmed by "Muuu Yuji" of "Super Thunder Blade" fame, who easily redeemed himself from that abomination with this wonderful arcade port. He later went on to create some crappy game with a blue hedgehog.....

The saying, “White men can’t jump!”, is oh so apparent with Sir Arthur’s hopping abilities. I remember having a hell of a time trying to leap across those outlandish tongues up in the demon mountains. This game was a pleasure to dive into, even when it forced you to play it twice to rescue Princess Guinevere.

Ghouls ’n Ghosts had a certain charm about it that made you feel incompetent after being turned into a pile of bones. A pig ogre’s puke from above would force you to run into the storm and dodge tornado weasels again. Those indestructible sand beetles could still get cha even after memorizing and timing your jumps on the rope bridges above. You could see the goblin hand ahead and feel confident that it posed no threat whatsoever and yet, it would grab you from time to time.

The magic armor created unique spells with every type of weapon. The music was haunting and irresistible at the same time. The challenge was unforgiving, and some souls from the early years of 16-BIT gaming may have never completed this adventure after they were blatantly not rewarded with an ending when one should’ve been granted.

I wasn’t one of those souls, and I completed the quest a second time to defeat Loki and claim my prize. This classic is recommended to be played late at night with the lights off, and bowl of popcorn nearby will help with your hunger for victory.
    Last edited by Iced Snowman; 03-09-2009 at 02:18 AM.

This game is amazing. I was playing it today and it's just awesome. Managed to get up to the 5th level minibosses before I had to go back to work and my boss accidentally turned off the game. Even though you die time after time, it just makes you want to continue on and win. This is by far the best port of the game, with great graphics, music, and the best gameplay. Some of the weapons aren't very good (Blue flame is definitely the worst), but they're not unusable, and it changes up the gameplay. Love the discs though!

And this blows Super Ghouls N' Ghosts away for sure. Super Ghouls N' Ghosts is plagued with slowdown, terrible level design (Who the fuck decided there should be rolling hills?), and the music just doesn't sound as good. The only thing that Super Ghouls N' Ghosts has is the Double Jump. The rest of the game pales in comparison to this.

Definitely one of my Top ten Genesis game right here. If you don't own it, go buy it. Right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!
    Quote Originally Posted by llj View Post
    Count me as someone who never liked the Turbo/Hyper Fighting iterations of Street Fighter 2. The speed ups always struck me as too "Benny Hill".

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

Chess Grand Master Outrunner Hiarcs's Avatar

What a game, a timeless classic.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    This game is amazing. I was playing it today and it's just awesome. Managed to get up to the 5th level minibosses before I had to go back to work and my boss accidentally turned off the game. Even though you die time after time, it just makes you want to continue on and win. This is by far the best port of the game, with great graphics, music, and the best gameplay. Some of the weapons aren't very good (Blue flame is definitely the worst), but they're not unusable, and it changes up the gameplay. Love the discs though!

And this blows Super Ghouls N' Ghosts away for sure. Super Ghouls N' Ghosts is plagued with slowdown, terrible level design (Who the fuck decided there should be rolling hills?), and the music just doesn't sound as good. The only thing that Super Ghouls N' Ghosts has is the Double Jump. The rest of the game pales in comparison to this.

Definitely one of my Top ten Genesis game right here. If you don't own it, go buy it. Right now.
    I respectfully disagree. Super Ghouls blows Ghouls away IMO. Much longer game, better weapons, awesome charged spells that can really wreak havoc on your enemies more varied levels (lots of neat Mode-7 effects too) and a great, orchestrated soundtrack. If the slowdown bothers you, all you have to do is play the ports on "Capcom Generations Vol. 2" (JPN PS1 & Saturn) or "Capcom Classics Collection" (PS2, XBOX180), which are devoid of any slowdown.

Still, Ghouls is a classic and one of my favorite games of all time. It's my most bought Genesis game of all-time too (I owned about five copies of it throughout 1996-2006). Won't touch it's absurdly difficult predecessor, "Ghosts 'N Goblins" with a ten-foot pole though.

Thread Information