Quantcast

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ghouls 'N Ghosts

great game. Always enjoyed this one.

Angry Liberal Arts Major Hero of Algol Iron Lizard's Avatar

I still like the genny version better. It just plays better. Being able to shot up helps to. I played the crap out of both. I also have the ps2 version which also has the arcade port along with the SNES one and I like the Genny version better than both of those as well. It controls better.

Quote Originally Posted by Aarzak View Post
    Won't touch it's absurdly difficult predecessor, "Ghosts 'N Goblins" with a ten-foot pole though.
    Ghosts N' Goblins is great... just stay away from the NES port and stick with the arcade version.

Just beat the game on Practice mode, 3 hours last night, and about 45 minutes this morning after keeping the game on pause for the night.

Now to beat it on Professional!
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!
    Quote Originally Posted by llj View Post
    Count me as someone who never liked the Turbo/Hyper Fighting iterations of Street Fighter 2. The speed ups always struck me as too "Benny Hill".

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

Banned by Administrators

This is the first game I bought for the genesis and it is easily one of the best.

Just beat this game on practice and professional (twice each), and I loved every second of it. Awesome game this one.

Road Rasher

The Sega Genesis/Sega Mega Drive version is an impressive port; the graphics are awesome, the sound effects are great, the music is great, and you can now move the opposite direction while you're crouching. In the arcade version, you had to stand up from a crouch, turn around and crouch again.

Mel Viel, you did an excellent job reviewing this game. Keep up the great work.

From,
    Josh
    Last edited by Josh; 02-15-2014 at 01:37 PM.

The special-needs snowman Raging in the Streets Olls's Avatar

Easily one of the best. This is what all platformers should be like.
    Developers have clearly taken notes (although it took them 20 years to realize what made this game so succesful) and many of todays "retro" platformers such as Super Meat Boy, IWTBTG, etc. have borrowed elements from this game. In particular the perfect controls and difficulty.

8 & 16 bit guy Outrunner Bloodreign's Avatar

Love this game, but it does not return the love, it kicks my ass. I have this and the original other 2 games (Ghosts, Super Ghouls) on several platforms (and the PSP and it's later Japan revision), from Saturn, to PS2, to PSP and PS1, all of them are effective at killing me, but not letting me draw away.

Easier than the first game yes, but you definitely must keep on your toes as enemies never stop respawning.

Ghouls N' Ghosts emotionally destroyed me as a kid. It was first time I remember legitimately getting angry at a game. Thanks Capcom for making me finish the game twice!

Only good (if very frustrated) memories. It was the first wallpaper i made..

Quote Originally Posted by ki_atsushi View Post
    Ghosts N' Goblins is great... just stay away from the NES port and stick with the arcade version.

NES port is good for the hardware.

Sorry to nitpick but it wasn't really a launch title:
    http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ghlight=launch
    On a wave of mutilation

https://minirevver.weebly.com/

Wildside Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Lizard View Post
    I still like the genny version better. It just plays better. Being able to shot up helps to. I played the crap out of both. I also have the ps2 version which also has the arcade port along with the SNES one and I like the Genny version better than both of those as well. It controls better.
    Both are great games and I would be hard pressed to choose a favourite version.
    Having said that I think the Genesis version just has the edge - its a perfect port of a great coin-op.
    The SNES version suffers from quite a bit of slowdown, you can't shoot up or down and the double jump is a bit weird also. Also in some levels they had overdone it a bit on the special effects front - I feel that the presentation and atmosphere / eeriness of the Genesis version in on the whole more convincing.
    Mega Drive 1 Pal G ('High Definition Graphics - Stereo Sound' model / VA4 / no-TMSS)
    Mods: switchable 50 & 60hz | switchable ENG & JAP | line out audio | enlarged cartridge slot

Quote Originally Posted by MtothaJ View Post
    Both are great games and I would be hard pressed to choose a favourite version.
    Having said that I think the Genesis version just has the edge - its a perfect port of a great coin-op.
    The SNES version suffers from quite a bit of slowdown, you can't shoot up or down and the double jump is a bit weird also. Also in some levels they had overdone it a bit on the special effects front - I feel that the presentation and atmosphere / eeriness of the Genesis version in on the whole more convincing.
    "Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts" on SNES is a completely different game in that it's a sequel to the coin-op/Genesis "Ghouls 'N Ghosts".

Thread Information