Quantcast

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Landstalker: Treasure of King Nole

heart Landstalker: Treasure of King Nole

Mention the game Landstalker to any veteran gamer and you're bound to get one of two responses: a nostalgic sigh or a slew of profanity. You may even get a little of both. It is unique to the 16-bit era and when it leaves that much of an impression on its players, you know something was done right.
    Last edited by Melf; 08-05-2011 at 06:00 PM.

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

Just beat this from start to finish over the course of a long weekend (out sick with a cold). It took about 30 hours, and I paid $5 for the cart, so I think I got my money's worth!

Despite a few flaws, it's a great game, and I think 9/10 is right on. I like some things about Light Crusader better, especially the music, but Landstalker's obviously much bigger/longer and is more polished overall. You can tell that the designers put a lot of TLC into it.

(Many, many profanities were said during that last level, but it was worth it. The final boss and ending were a little disappointing, though.)

I'll have to pick it somday, sounds like a decent rpg. Nice review

Great game but some of the later locations have ridiculously difficult puzzles. Also I hate how Nigel doesn't have a shadow when he jumps - it makes things harder.

Master of Shinobi midnightrider's Avatar

I never had this one back then, but when I got around to it with emulation, I played it a few times. The funny part was, I never knew what was released in what region, so I had everything in the same folder for the English language, like translations and stuff like Golden Axe III. When I switched over to Gens and it started telling what region the game was from as it loaded up, I noticed the whole time I was playing the Japanese release.

So not only is the Japanese version in English, but apparently a scene involving Kayla in a tub was removed from the U.S. version.

Yeah its BS that got removed. I had the game back then and didnt even know about it. Thankfully that censoring stuff doesnt happen much anymore.

The Japanese version is in English? I see it pop up cheap on Ebay all the time I'd definitely pick it up if that was an option.

I adored this game back in the day. It's definitely annoying an obtuse in places but the writing is incredible. I love that the dialogue changes when you backtrack. If I'm not mistaken even the cats and dogs dialogue gets revised. Such attention to detail. It's got tons of atmosphere. The gameplay is good for the most part too, although I'm not sure I'd have the patience for it anymore without an faq.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkDragon View Post
    Yeah its BS that got removed. I had the game back then and didnt even know about it. Thankfully that censoring stuff doesnt happen much anymore.
    Well to be fair I think it got revealed on GameFAQs only a few years ago.

Raging in the Streets Yharnamresident's Avatar

Yea wouldn't the Japs prefer moon language?

Damn I need to get a NTSC Mega Drive.
    Certified F-Zero GX fanboy

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Shapey Fiend View Post
    The Japanese version is in English?
    The Japanese version definitely uses Japanese text.

Is this one of those cases where the game contains both languages and will display English when played on a Genesis?
    Last edited by Zz Badnusty; 12-19-2013 at 06:55 PM.

Master of Shinobi midnightrider's Avatar

Hmm... trying things out just now and everything is in Japanese, so I can't explain it, unless I had an awkward rom. I know what I saw, and there's that video...

According to The Cutting Room Floor, the scene is in the English versions, but it's inaccessible: http://tcrf.net/Landstalker

Maybe there's a U.S. version of the rom that makes emulators think it's the Japanese version, which unlocks that scene.

It's funny I must have been maybe 10 years old when I played this game, and despite the changes I still knew the brothel was a brothel. Maybe my older brother worked it out. I don't think I was that worldly.

Just to clear some misconceptions up about the Japanese version:

1) The ballet studio is not a brothel in the Japanese version. The whole point of it is a joke: you're supposed to think it's a brothel. However, in the Japanese version, it's actually a counseling center. Adults go there to have someone listen to their problems.

2) The maid is present in front of the door in the Japanese version as well. She was not added just for the English version. However, in the Japanese version, there is one point (after dinner is prepared but before you enter the dining room) when the maid disappears and you are able to enter the room and see the bath scene. The scene was translated into English, possibly before it was decided to make the maid permanent, or possibly because the translators were just working down a list, but the only way to access it in English is to hack the rom to float over the maid (that's how the above video was made). This scene is kind of an easter egg even in the Japanese version because most people will just enter the dining room and miss it. Of the 4 Japanese Landstalker guide books I have, only 1 of them mentions the scene. The others missed it.

I think making it a ballet studio of all things makes the whole situation pretty silly. It always puts a nice big smile on my face.

I know people get up in arms about "censorship," but it makes so little a difference in Landstalker's case it sounds like whining. The rest of the game is ace, and better than one measly 16bit bath scene!

So's your old man! Raging in the Streets zetastrike's Avatar

This game is great, I'm really happy with it. I'm a fan of isometric adventure games, so the perspective isn't an issue with me. The only thing I would add to improve it is the ability to walk in and direction, not just diagonally. That was a surprise the first time I played it.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon
    Nope. Bloodlines is the problem, not me. I have no trouble with Super Castlevania IV (SNES) and Dracula X: Rondo of Blood (TCD), and have finished both games. Both of those are outstanding games, among the best platformers of the generation. In comparison Bloodlines is third or fourth tier.

No, it's unbiased analysis. The only fanboyism is people who claim that Hyperstone Heist and Bloodlines are actually as good as their SNES counterparts.
    My Collection: http://vgcollect.com/zetastrike

Thread Information