Quantcast

Thread: Kolibri

Default Kolibri

Novotrade are barely known in the gaming world nowadays. The company itself may not be known but its classic game Ecco the Dolphin probably is. Another game by Novotrade that didnít become as popular as the Ecco series was Kolibri a game similar to Ecco in many ways but different in others. It was only released on the Sega 32X, the failed console that Sega probably donít want to hear about ever again. It was released in 1995 which was when the gaming world was slowly changing from 16-bit consoles to 32-bit consoles.

Antiquing Hedgehog Lord QuickSciFi's Avatar

This game totally deserves more talk-time. Not just one of the better games for the 32x, but one of the best shmupsters for the Genesis/CD/32X and the rest of the 16-bit era, imo.

P.S.> I was fortunate to receive this as a gift recently for my bDay, and it rules! Not only that, despite the 1-player sign on the back, it's actually 2-Player co-op! that's amazing.

Like many have said before me. Best hummingbird shooter ever made, hands down.
    MY SEGAS
    [Model 1 Sega CD x 5] [Model 1 HD Genesis w/Component Video] [Model 2 Genesis] [32X CIB] [Master System Model 3010] [Nomad w/LCD mod] [Dreamcast] [Saturn] [Game Gear]

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

I beat this game on Hard last night, after beating it on Normal a day or two before (and Easy last month). And...I think I hate it. Yeah, it's pretty and pastoral and has a nice theme, but it's incredibly frustrating for all the wrong reasons.

The biggest one is that the control is lousy. I can live with the fact that Kolibri lags, taking nearly a full second to respond in certain situations. Maybe there's some hummingbirdy justification for it -- not every game needs to offer instant-gratification controls.

But what's inexcusable is that he darts a good ways forward after almost every movement. You can actually get your bird to go across the screen from left-to-right by repeatedly tapping upward -- he'll move horizontally far more than vertically! This simply can't happen in any kind of shooter/shmup, let alone one with such laggy controls, because it makes precision movements impossible. Air Rescue for SMS has a similar problem, but it's manageable in that slow, deliberate game; here it's a huge issue. And sometimes the game even refused to move in a particular direction for a few seconds before relenting, as if my bird were up against an invisible barrier that suddenly disappeared.

I also can't stand the combination of respawning enemies and overbearing scrolling. There's basically no margin at the screen edge; as soon as an enemy location is one pixel offscreen, it instantly goes live again. This makes it impossible to use hit-and-run tactics, because it'll just respawn the same enemy over and over, with extra bullets as a bonus. It's hard to put into words, but just feels cheap, and is easy to trigger by accident. Even just turning around can easily make it happen. When you're trying to dodge bullets, enemies, and unwanted powerups (another major problem -- the weapon drop system is almost punitive), all this becomes exceptionally obnoxious. And the two-player mode is practically unplayable, like a three-legged race gone wrong.

As for the game's vaunted puzzles, they're basically just "find a wallbreaker, break a wall, repeat". But this is made needlessly obscure by the lousy manual, which talks about hummingbirds for pages on end, but offers no images of what the weapon, wallbreaker, and shield pods look like. Worse, the controls given for the wallbreaker are incorrect: you need to double-tap A to trigger it, something not mentioned at all in the manual. Why on earth not support the six-button controller, instead of requiring the same button for the wallbreaker and shield? (For that matter, why require the player to hold down the A button for minutes on end to maintain the shield?)

On the bright side, the password/continue system is humane, and some of the artwork is admittedly quite polished. But I think Kolibri is basically a failure. It looks nice but plays poorly, and is a fundamentally simplistic game whose challenge comes from bottlenecks of frustration, rather than a steady, satisfying ascent. It's just not much fun to play. 4/10.
    Last edited by goldenband; 05-16-2012 at 08:20 PM.

Nameless One

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    I also can't stand the combination of respawning enemies and overbearing scrolling. There's basically no margin at the screen edge; as soon as an enemy location is one pixel offscreen, it instantly goes live again. This makes it impossible to use hit-and-run tactics, because it'll just respawn the same enemy over and over, with extra bullets as a bonus. It's hard to put into words, but just feels cheap, and is easy to trigger by accident. Even just turning around can easily make it happen. When you're trying to dodge bullets, enemies, and unwanted powerups (another major problem -- the weapon drop system is almost punitive), all this becomes exceptionally obnoxious.

I didnít have as big an issue with the controls as Goldenboy but completely agree with the above quoted statement it gave me flashbacks to old ZX Spectrum games where enemies used to respawn. I hated it then and I hate it now.
    This drags the game into Ďaverageí territory.
    Neat graphics and sound, some nice gameplay ideas but once I finish it, I wonít play it again.

Thread Information