Quantcast

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sonic 3D Blast

Quote Originally Posted by Christuserloeser View Post
    That makes sense. - Same with Fatal Labyrinth btw, one of the games that was released as a full price game in every region on this planet, except in Japan were it was a low profile, low price download via SegaNet. It is practically the only game that for whatever reasons has to be included to each and every single semi-official Genesis compilation released in past, present and future.

- Megaman actually was a retail game in Japan. It wasn't released in the US as they thought it would be of more value if it was used as cannon fodder for the Sega Channel.
    "Flicky" and "Fatal Labyrinth" were budget-priced when they were released here in the U.S, at $19.99 I believe, due to the low MEGA POWER. I assume that "Columns" and "Pat Riley Basketball" (two other Genesis games from that time period with small MEGA POWER) were budget-priced as well. According to old Usenet posts, "Target Earth" (a 2 MEGA POWER cart) was released at a $19.99 pricepoint. Not bad...........for a soul-crushingly difficult game.

Anyone else recall if other 1-2 MEGA POWER games were released at budget prices??? Like "Truxton" and "Zoom!"?

I could have sworn I left a review-ish comment here a while back, but I guess that was in another thread.

I enjoyed this game quite a bit. Yes, it's very different and slower than Sonic through Sonic & Knuckles, but different in this case, doesn't equate to being bad... in my opinion at least. The graphics were good, the music was nice, the levels were designed pretty well, and the game still "felt" like a Sonic game, even if the pace was slower. The controls were easy to adjust to as well, and over all, I found it to be a well made game.

The only real complaint I would have about it, is that it's way too easy to get the "real" ending. Collecting all seven Chaos Emeralds can be accomplished by the first Act of level 2, thanks to the bonus rounds being quite easy. Finding Knuckles and Tails to get to those bonus rounds was tougher

But that's my only main complaint. I'd rank this game below Sonic 3 & Knuckles, and Sonic 2, but above Sonic (which I still like), and waaaaaay above Sonic Spinball. I'd give it about an 8.

Currently Reviewing: Galaxy Force (SMS)
    Coming Up:TF3 Side by Side
    Done:

I DON'T LIKE POKEMON Hero of Algol j_factor's Avatar

I've always liked this game. It doesn't at all play like a Sonic game, but that doesn't make it bad. It's a good game that inappropriately uses Sonic.

I have something of an affinity for isometric platformers, though. Some people don't like 'em, but I do.

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces.

Quote Originally Posted by The Coop View Post
    Why the big desire for saves and passwords? Games like Sonic & Knuckles, Sonic 1, Sonic 2, Vectorman and other large platformers didn't get pinched for not having saves, so why hold it against Sonic 3D Blast? It's really no bigger than other Sonic games (smaller than 3 and 'Knuckles' really), and once you know the layout, it can be beaten pretty quickly.
    Those gamers were all fun as hell this game not so much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoltor View Post
    Japan on the other hand is in real danger, if Japanese men don't start liking to play with their woman, more then them selves, experts calculated the Japanese will be extinct within 300 years.

I STILL can't find this part of the game:

New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

Quote Originally Posted by Aarzak View Post
    I wonder, why was Sega so driven to make an isometric Sonic game? At first, Sonic 3 was going to be isometric.
    Thank God that didn't happen.

I actually like the bonus levels and the boss fights. The main part of the game can get tedius. The graphics look good. I prefer this game over sonic spinball.

While it is weak as Sonic game, it is a good game. Would be better if developers got rid of that momentum in Sonic's moves. Also I absolutely love the music here. It is much better than the mediocre Saturn version soundtrack.

Sports Talker Gunstar Red pwnz 1001's Avatar

eh, when i was little, i thought the game was pretty stupid coming up with these flicky things. They acted really stupid especially when you got hit and they ran away from you. Very tedious indeed. Sonic was doomed to go into 3-D at the very beginning.

Raging in the Streets SEGA.GENESIS1989's Avatar

Sonic

Information regarding the secret level select in Sonic 3D Blast:

Video posted by the developer:

NEWS ARTICLE:
    TITLE: Why physically hitting Sonic 3D Blast unlocks a secret menu
    Yes, we mean actually hitting it

AUTHOR: Ben Kuchera

URL ADDRESS: https://www.polygon.com/2017/10/3/16...-cheat-genesis

ARTICLE:
    You can find a “secret” level select menu in Sonic 3D Blast by shaking or hitting the game cartridge itself while it’s playing. But ... why? That’s a strange way to hide a bonus screen, and the trick seems to be reproducible.

The story behind this strange feature is explained by the person who created it in the video above. Games have to pass each platform’s certification process before release to test for bugs and to make sure everything meets the console’s specifications. It can be a grueling process, and failing certification can mean lost time or even missed release dates.
    Traveller's Tales founder Jon Burt would hide error messages by turning what would have been a crash or glitch into a secret bonus screen or effect. This meant that bugs would feel like just another part of the game, and the title would pass certification.

The screen added to Sonic 3D Blast allowed you to skip to different stages, and the easiest way for players to create a glitch that would bring up the screen is to cause the cartridge to briefly lose contact with the Genesis itself by shaking or hitting it.

And now we all know the story behind this weird secret menu, and the world is better for it.

"There's nothing to fear, except fear itself"
    http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s486/link2link2link/YUZOKOSHIROISAGODNEOSEEDEDITION.gif

Thread Information