Quantcast

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sonic The Hedgehog 2

The Mega Drive Sonic games are probably my favourite ever. Hard to choose between this and Sonic 3/Sonic & Knuckles but I'd just about recommend picking this one up first.

Chess Grand Master Outrunner Hiarcs's Avatar

Impossible to deny, this might be the best 2D sonic game ever, of course with the right respect to version 1 and 3, which are all classics, it is never simple to compare an excellent trilogy as with this one, but i agree that the 2nd version might be the best, also i like way much the final boss on sonic 2.

My opinion?
    The music is brilliant but the game play is the worst out of the four. I found the game's latter levels a bit tedious and it always gives me a headache trying to do the later levels. Not because they're hard, they just did. The special stages were better than the first one though but still annoying.

Chess Grand Master Outrunner Hiarcs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    After the successful Sonic The Hedgehog, there was no doubt in anyone's mind that a sequel was coming and that it would be just as great as the original or better. In my opinion, Sonic 2 improves on all of that game's faults and in most cases, surpasses it.
    Agreed completely, in many instances i consider this version the best.
    iPad 2, 32GB Black.

The Sonic games on the Mega Drive were both the franchises and Sega's glory days and it makes sense that they were all on the greatest and most successful console that Sega ever made.

For what it's worth I think by far and away Sega's best Sonic game since the demise of the Dreamcast has been Sonic Generations which was released on the Xbox 360 and PS3 in 2011 to celebrate Sonic's twentieth anniversary. The game is a perfect blend of both old and new gameplay styles that have featured in the franchise over the years. It's also a complete and utter nostalgia overdose and quite frankly seeing the beautifully redesigned Green Hill Zone and Chemical Plant Zone from Sonic 1 and 2 respectively along with the fantastically remixed music almost had me in tears. Yeah I do happen to suffer from a chronic case of nostalgia it's true.

Master of Shinobi midnightrider's Avatar

In spite of having the highest in-game resolution of any 16-bit console, I forgot This even had a 2 player mode over the years. I maybe had a chance to play it all of 2 or 3 times.

A lot of people consider this the absolute best of the Genesis series, if not the franchise as a whole, but for me it's hard to say, considering S3&K. It still ranks up there as one of the all time bests on the console, if not in general.

I posted this in one of the us vs. them threads, but if it belongs anywhere, it obviously should be in this thread:

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker Kanon's Avatar

Sonic

Sorry to bump an old thread, but today is the 24th anniversary of Sonic 2sday. Truely one of the most important dates in history

I remember the hype, at the peak of the console wars, the sequel to the flag title of the Genesis. And it delivered improvements in every aspect.

Man, I'm old

VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar

I think bumping these review discussion threads is fine. It better be, I've been doing it since I've got here.

Welcome to the forum and happy Sonic 2sday anyway! While Sonic 3 & Knuckles has taken over as my top Sonic game, Sonic 2 was a revelation BITD. Got up early that day, I can tell you.

Simple and plain, one of the best platformers ever, although maybe surpassed by the combination S3&K. It was blast porcessing mode at its best technically: fast and furious (maybe TOO fast sometimes), and beautiful to look at, with a wide variety of stages and spectacular bonus stages. But at the same time, it required a big deal of memorization, strategy, reflexes and skill.
    Because it was the fav game of my younger brother, it was played a lot at home: It's, maybe, the MD game I played the most. Some times, I thought it would tire me out. But not: I still play and enjoy it like in 1993. Being able to play the wide array of modern hacks available in original hardware is like experiencing it again, fresh and new.
    Last edited by bigladiesman; 03-26-2017 at 11:22 AM.

Old Sega is where it's at Wildside Expert gglol's Avatar

Yes! Everdrive + Sonic hacks is all you need.

Thread Information