Quantcast

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Sonic The Hedgehog 3

Outrunner

Yeah, like you said, we're not gonna mesh. I could keep rebutting your points but there's very little point to it as it amounts to "I disagree and think the opposite," which I am sure we will both continue to do.
    It may no longer be the `90s, but there is still time for Klax.

VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar

Believe it or not, first time playing Sonic 3 properly. Yes, it took me over 20 years to get down with it in some meaningful way.

And I'm blown away at the scope of the levels, let me tell you. It's quite a shock for someone who's really only dug deep into the first two entries. After reading some posts here and there on opinions of the game's various zones, I have to say I was surprised by the hate for Hydrocity and Marble Garden. MG is fuggin' top shelf, is what it is. Carnival Night is also good although I agree the palette could have been better and the music is a bit shit. It plays well and despite what the theme could suggest, it isn't just a token pinball/springboard level. Most of the bosses seem a bit more challenging and inventive in Sonic 3 also.

I'm playing this alongside CD at the moment (another Sonic entry I have only just got to), and I appreciate the radically different design directions taken by the two games. I'm enjoying getting stuck into these crazy platformers for sure.

In light of all this, you can bet your arse I've got S&K on the way.

Hero of Algol

Same impressions here about Sonic 3.
    IMO it's the best Sonic game out of Sonic 1, Sonic 2, Sonic CD, Sonic 3, Sonic & Knuckles.

Ice Cap Zone is the most pleasant to play of all those Sonic games IMO, even more than Starlight Zone in the first game.

The color use in Hydrocity, Marble Garden and Ice Cap is superb IMO. And here is where I think S&K fails in comparison: IMO most of its stages have some questionable color choices and/or over saturation. I also think the music in Sonic 3 far exceeds S&K's. It's a shame that the drums and other PCM-based stuff sound so distorted in Sonic 3. Hopefully some day someone will fix that distortion like they did with improved audio drivers for Sonic 1, and plus some heavy ROM internal structure modification for Sonic 2. Sonic 3 will require even more effort than Sonic 2 but it would make its soundtrack really shines like it should.

After you play S&K, I strongly recommend you to try Sonic 3 Complete (hack). It's a superb work of merging S3 and S&K in a much better way than just locking the cart on.
    It has several bug fixes and a few gameplay improvements which are really nice IMO but it preserves 99% of the original game and doesn't mess with the art. I like how you can give a Sonic 3 feel to S&K using this hack.

VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    The color use in Hydrocity, Marble Garden and Ice Cap is superb IMO
    They're the ones that stuck out for me as well. Hydrocity Act 2 with the purple parallax structure introduced to the background just looks great.
    Launch Base Zone looks better under water IMO, since it turns the palette Constructicon colours, purple and light green.

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    After you play S&K, I strongly recommend you to try Sonic 3 Complete (hack). It's a superb work of merging S3 and S&K in a much better way than just locking the cart on.
    S&K came in earlier and I threw it on briefly and found it had the save games from the previous owner, so ran a few stages. Sandopolis is pretty over saturated in Act 1 at least, same with Mushroom Hill Act 1 (which looks much nicer in Act 2 with the desaturated autumn palette). Lava Reef blew my socks off though, love the big, bold rock walls and such.

I'm starting to get a hankering to check out some quality Sonic hacks, so thanks for the recommendation of S3 Complete. I hear good things about Sonic Megamix as well.

Thread Information