Quantcast

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Streets of Rage II

Smith's Minister of War Hero of Algol Kamahl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Opus Science View Post
    But, whilst I know it's better than SoR1 on a technicality and refinement, for some reason, mainly sentimental I guess, I still prefer to play through Sof1 when chilling out. I actually prefer the music in SoR1 too.
    SoR 1 has better atmosphere.
    This thread needs more... ENGINEERS

The Cat in the Hat Hero of Algol NeoVamp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kamahl View Post
    SoR 1 has better atmosphere.
    Agreed, it had a much darker feel to it when compared to SOR2 and it's amusement park brawls.

Speaking of darker, that's because it takes place during one evening/night, and that's why the sun comes up during the last level.

Compared to that SOR2 was really more of a mismash, still very entertaining but the feel was not there.

Raging in the Streets

Quote Originally Posted by NeoVamp View Post
    Agreed, it had a much darker feel to it when compared to SOR2 and it's amusement park brawls.

Speaking of darker, that's because it takes place during one evening/night, and that's why the sun comes up during the last level.

Compared to that SOR2 was really more of a mismash, still very entertaining but the feel was not there.
    I still want to know why the beach is next to some biker rally in the jungle outside the Disney castle that's actually a secret robot manufacturing plant just outside of the headquarters.

Smith's Minister of War Hero of Algol Kamahl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gogogadget View Post
    I still want to know why the beach is next to some biker rally in the jungle outside the Disney castle that's actually a secret robot manufacturing plant just outside of the headquarters.
    The game correctly chose not to show the long stretches of uninteresting travel and paper filling at the station for all the damages caused during brawls.
    This thread needs more... ENGINEERS

I still want to know why the beach is next to some biker rally in the jungle
    outside the Disney castle that's actually a secret robot manufacturing plant just outside of the headquarters.

haha interesting way of seeing it, for what its worth here's my explanation.

Level 1 : Downtown.
    A standard street level in a city.

Level 2 : Bridge under construction.
    Some sort of golden gate bridge, makes sense that you could get there from downtown.

Level 3 : Amusement Park.
    I guess there was an amusement park on the other side of the bridge? very possible.

Level 4 : Stadium.
    I guess the stadium was close to the amusement park? some sort of Coney Island thing?

Level 5 : The boat.
    The gang must have taken a boat from this island.

Level 6 : Cuba The Jungle.
    Some sort of hidden island near eh.. well wherever SOR takes place.

Level 7 : Munitions plant.
    Makes sense that Mr X would be making weapons, beats making robots.

Level 8 : Mr X's hideout.
    Some sort of Japanese highrise building, weird to find that in the Jungle though.

Hmm.. guess they did the most with the limitations of the Genesis, but I would have liked to have seen
    some dock levels like they had in the GameGear version.

Raging in the Streets

Quote Originally Posted by Kamahl View Post
    The game correctly chose not to show the long stretches of uninteresting travel and paper filling at the station for all the damages caused during brawls.
    Ironic that they nearly made the same mistake for the sequel then, those motorcycle stages in SORR are absolutely horrible to play.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoVamp View Post
    Level 6 : Cuba The Jungle.
    Some sort of hidden island near eh.. well wherever SOR takes place.
    I wonder if it's Wood Oak City, the location they finally established in SOR3 haha, obviously Sega didn't really care to establish any of these things, and it doesn't really matter since it's not important, it's just amusing to poke fun at.

Beat Em Ups Master of Shinobi cowboyscowboys's Avatar

Use your imagination for how things occur in Streets of Rage 2 (the storyline changes for me every play through). The atmosphere is one of the reasons it's so damn perfect. I like how they did try for some continuity. Start of stage 4 has the amusement park in the background. Boss battle in stage 6 shows the boat in the background.

I guess some would prefer Streets of Rage 3's shitty ass industrial atmosphere. Hell they couldn't even get the skylines right for the game.
    Women Asian Please
    Beat Em Up- Streets of Rage 2
    Platformer- Sonic 3 and Knuckles
    Run and Gun- Gunstar Heroes
    Adventure- Story of Thor
    Action- Shinobi 3

I wonder if it's Wood Oak City
    I remember having this discussion with a friend once, and we decided that SOR1 took place in a fictionalized New York.

I don't really remember the discussion, but we analyzed the levels and it seemed to match the map.

Prefer axels "grand upper" sfx from the bare knuckle 3

I remain nonsequitur Shining Hero sheath's Avatar

Do I really have to?
    "... If Sony reduced the price of the Playstation, Sega would have to follow suit in order to stay competitive, but Saturn's high manufacturing cost would then translate into huge losses for the company." p170 Revolutionaries at Sony.

"We ... put Sega out of the hardware business ..." Peter Dille senior vice president of marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment

Quote Originally Posted by Matts Mega drive View Post
    Prefer axels "grand upper" sfx from the bare knuckle 3
    Compared to his BKII Grand Upper sfx? are they really that different?

Bite my shiny, metal ***! Hero of Algol retrospiel's Avatar

You guys are crazy. This game is a straight 11 out of 10.
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

Then we set about developing killer games.

- Hayao Nakayama, Mega Drive Collected Works (p. 17)

amazing game so fun and challenging!

Master of Shinobi midnightrider's Avatar

Because video games, damnit! (<-legit excuse, that)

I might still be into modern gaming if it was as batshit crazy as this era was(and less focused on forcing me to watch what happens next).

WCPO Agent Cornelius Spunkwater's Avatar

SoR2 has a funny thing called "variety." It's crazy how a thing like that works in a video game's favor.

SoR can go suck a fat one. SoR2 is the best beat 'em up ever made.

Thread Information