Quantcast

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: VectorMan

Japanese Sonic CD FTW!!! Master of Shinobi Ecco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Obviously View Post
    Vector doesn't mean 3D graphics.
    OK then THAT was my main misunderstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by The Coop View Post

You really get into pseudo 3D when you start talking about isometric views (Viewpoint, Landstalker, etc.), scaling (Galaxy Force II, After Burner II, etc.), and polygonal games that use a 2D perspective (Trine, Deadlight, etc.); games that steadily bring in objects from the background, or draw much of the objects in the game from multiple sides at once. But Vectorman's visual style doesn't really match any of those. The parallax scrolling could possibly be argued as making the game pseudo 3D, but to me, that doesn't make the game simulate 3D either. It just creates a sense of depth using flattened layers moving on top of each other, which isn't quite the same as making something come off as looking three dimensional.
    Hmm, well when I referred to Vectorman as pseudo 3D, I was mostly referring to the characters and especially Vectorman himself. I thought these were clearly pseudo 3D, using pre-rendered sprites for enemies, and Vectorman using orbs, to look 3D.

I realize the gameplay (and the stages) are 2D, so I wasn't referring to that, nor the parallax scrolling.

But so you don't think the characters are pseudo 3D? I thought the term could be used pretty broadly, but I thought the characters in Vectorman definitely counted as fake 3D. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Ecco View Post
    Hmm, well when I referred to Vectorman as pseudo 3D, I was mostly referring to the characters and especially Vectorman himself. I thought these were clearly pseudo 3D, using pre-rendered sprites for enemies, and Vectorman using orbs, to look 3D.

I realize the gameplay (and the stages) are 2D, so I wasn't referring to that, nor the parallax scrolling.

But so you don't think the characters are pseudo 3D? I thought the term could be used pretty broadly, but I thought the characters in Vectorman definitely counted as fake 3D. lol
    Pre-rendered sprites are no different in the end than hand drawn ones, since one could shade a character by hand and get it to have the same kind of high-contrast shading. "CGI graphics" was just a big buzzword basically for a few years; making it sound super cool and high tech, even though the end result was no different. If they'd been hand drawn instead of pre-rendered, they'd still be bitmaps, playing on a 2D, side-view field. Vectorman's movements aren't pseudo 3D either, as they only move on the X and Y axis. They overlap, but they don't scale, which really makes his movements simply a smoother, more fluid option over doing it frame by frame like with traditional animation.

The only part of Vectorman that I'd call pseudo 3D, is the handcart stage where you're fighting the big robot while on rails. That big robot falls into the background (choppily) when defeated, which plays with the Z axis directly as it's scaling away and toward you while you battle it. That's a different kind of depth over flat layers scrolling by at different speeds, which brings the concept of 3D more into what's happening because it's actually moving toward/away from the camera.

One more quick note. For me, the idea of pseudo 3D kicks in when you can constantly see three sides of a given object. Many games let you see one full side and a partial second, but games like Landstalker let you see three all the time. it also comes into play when the game features a lot of scaling going on, drawing you "into" the screen, like with Galaxy Force II. That's when something becomes more three dimensional to the point of being able to call it "pseudo 3D."

That's my take on it anyway. I'm sure others will disagree, but there it is.
    Last edited by The Coop; 08-26-2013 at 10:18 PM.

Currently Reviewing: Galaxy Force (SMS)
    Coming Up:TF3 Side by Side
    Done:

Sports Talker

I enjoyed playing this when it came out. I beat it on wicked to see if I won the sweepstakes that was marked on the box and cartridge label. I haven't played since then. I wonder if it will hold up now. I'll have to find a copy.

Already liked it at 1st but the more i play it the more i love it. Excellent Run n'Gun IMO with a lot of nice effects here & there (scaling; transparency; tilting; etc...) + up to 88 colors at times if that Youtube video is to be trust.

But my fav' part is the gameplay combined with the amazing Vectorman's animations, highly enjoyable.

Beat Em Ups Master of Shinobi cowboyscowboys's Avatar

I think this game is a blast to play. Great Visuals, controls, game play and solid music. The boss battles are underwhelming though.
    Women Asian Please
    Beat Em Up- Streets of Rage 2
    Platformer- Sonic 3 and Knuckles
    Run and Gun- Gunstar Heroes
    Adventure- Story of Thor
    Action- Shinobi 3

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyscowboys View Post
    solid music
    Yeah, great soundtrack too

As for the SFX, the only one which can seem odd, maybe annoying depending of the people (& maybe depending of the Genesis revision some / all of them have), is our standard shoot. But i think it just sounds... different. BlueSky could have made what they want, it's not like if they aren't skilled, & they chose this & it sounds ok IMO. + SFX for others weapons are better like that BOOM sounding spread shoot.

Japanese Sonic CD FTW!!! Master of Shinobi Ecco's Avatar

The feeling of the gameplay is where this game really shines. The music too. Graphics are sometimes great... sometimes a bit ugly lol.

It's fun messing around on the SEGA logo screen, you can shoot a hidden TV set, and do a pointless but cool explosion over the whole screen. There's also a falling-letter mini-game on the SEGA logo screen.

The secrets on that SEGA screen kind of show that the game was meant to be fun just to hang around and mess around, in this game...

Thread Information