Quantcast

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: VectorMan

Death Adder's minion

yeah now that some ppl mention it, the sound effects can be pretty grating. Not sure how I blocked out the shooting noise. It sounds good once but in rapid succession, yes very annoying.

Level 6 Rocket Knight Raging in the Streets jerry coeurl's Avatar

I think I've been a little harsh on this game in the past. I always thought it was just a style over substance affair, but I've been playing it a lot over the past couple days and I'm really starting to appreciate it. The gameplay is definitely there.

I think my biggest issue, and the main reason I pretty much completely wrote it off before, is the first level. I don't like the color scheme (shallow as that sounds), and for that reason I would quickly tire of it and put in something else. I also didn't bother learning the first boss pattern, and so he would quickly eat up all of my lives, and then I'd get frustrated and put it back in the vault for another 6 months or so. Rinse and repeat.

But the other day I was looking for something in my Genesis collection that I hadn't played to death already. I brought Vectorman and a couple of other games over to my buddy's studio (he's got a Genesis 2 hooked up there), and let one of my friends play it while I was eating. I watched him play for a while and I think he got to level 6 or so. Anyway, I was amazed. Not only did the level design get a lot more varied and interesting; a lot of the color choices for the levels were awesome as well!

Earlier today I made it up to level 12 before I lost my last life. I'm gonna keep plugging away at it. I can't fairly rate it until I've seen the whole thing, but right now I'd give it around 8/10. It's not an all-time classic, but it's quite fun and one of the better run n' gun/platformers on the system. I can't wait to give Vectorman 2 a shot!

Quote Originally Posted by soviet View Post
    If Sega making condoms,I will to one-night-stands in every night~

Pixar needs to include Vectorman when they run out of original ideas and decide to create Wall-E 2! The plots are so similar!

Second Base = Best Base Raging in the Streets Tanegashima's Avatar

I know I'm going to catch hell for this...

this is the most overrated game on the system, hands down. I really don't enjoy it.

It's like RedZone to me, graphics don't make a good game.

Agreed. Vectorman is probably the most overrated game on the system, and is nothing more than a glorified tech demo. I'd be surprised if anyone admitted they really enjoyed playing Vectorman past the first level, and even the first level isn't that good.

Overrated garbage. Don't bother with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!
    Quote Originally Posted by llj View Post
    Count me as someone who never liked the Turbo/Hyper Fighting iterations of Street Fighter 2. The speed ups always struck me as too "Benny Hill".

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

King of the Ring WCPO Agent ThugsRook's Avatar

^ surprise!

must've played this game a million times ~ love it

(perhaps it helps that im really good at it)

Level 6 Rocket Knight Raging in the Streets jerry coeurl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    I'd be surprised if anyone admitted they really enjoyed playing Vectorman past the first level, and even the first level isn't that good.
    I actually didn't like the game until after I had gotten past the first level. The game improves a lot after the first stage in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by soviet View Post
    If Sega making condoms,I will to one-night-stands in every night~

The special-needs snowman Raging in the Streets Olls's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Agreed. Vectorman is probably the most overrated game on the system, and is nothing more than a glorified tech demo. I'd be surprised if anyone admitted they really enjoyed playing Vectorman past the first level, and even the first level isn't that good.

Overrated garbage. Don't bother with it.

I enjoyed it and still do. You probably haven't really played it, as it feels nothing like a tech demo. It is a polished game. One of the few things that could've been worked out better are the morphing powerups and their placements, but that's nitpicking a little. People that talk smack about Vectorman base their opinion purely on the graphical style and are afraid to admit it. Granted, the silicon graphics style isn't everyone's cup of tea, but don't instantly write off the game because of it.
    Anyway, it's rated highly for a reason and I suggest you actually bother playing it past the first few stages.

I've beaten the game Olls, and I was really questioning why I'd put so much effort in by the end.

It was just disappointing, the Underground vault level is when I really realized how bored I was.

Perhaps the genre just isn't your thing, then.

Genre?
    I don't think I agree with that depending I suppose how you define Vectorman's genre...

I just don't like Vectorman, what would you compare it to?

I love action platformers...my favorite Genesis game period is Shinobi III...or Revenge of Shinobi...I still can't decide.

I would say that it's a run 'n gun with slightly more platforming elements than is usual (which is what might be off-putting to purists), but I'm sure there are people here that will dispute this and simply call it an "action platformer". Then again, pretty much anything can be filed under that category if you tried hard enough.
    I'd compare it to the Turrican games more than anything else. Maybe Ranger-X too.

Then I'd say you're right because I don't like Turrican or RangerX either.

Do enjoy Gunstar Heroes on every level, however.

King of the Ring WCPO Agent ThugsRook's Avatar

dont waste your time in the levels. its not a kill everything/find everything type of game. your only mission is to finish it. (side mission = find 7 extra health orbs) bonus stage is also a waste of time, dont bother.

its a 40 minute game for me.

Agreed. Unless you're one of those people that think James Pond is a good game, because you get to run around a level for 30 minutes collecting lots of... stuff.

Thread Information