Quantcast

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: VectorMan

James Pond is shit.

As for VM, I like to explore a level or two sometimes.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Watch your back, shoot straight, and never cut a deal with the dragon. (from Shadowrun)

Now with 33% more @$$! Master of Shinobi Assman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ThugsRook View Post
    must've played this game a million times ~ love it
    Same here. It's one of my favorites. Both games are, actually (although I get the feeling that the second one involved the developers tacking on as many levels as possible until they ran out of time and had to throw an "ending" together).

I do enjoy exploring the levels, though; too bad the time limit puts a damper on that. I definitely get a feeling of accomplishment after destroying all the TVs and collecting all the photons, plus I tend to forget exactly where shit is. I always have to make it a goal to get my health up to ten.

Second Base = Best Base Raging in the Streets Tanegashima's Avatar

I for one would rather play Heavy Nova 9 hours a day than play Vectorman all the way through again...

ugh...well maybe not but still.

Japanese Sonic CD FTW!!! Master of Shinobi Ecco's Avatar

Genesis

I love Vectorman. Takes a little getting used to but then it's awesome. Also the 1st stage gray color scheme gives a bad 1st impression bc most stages are colorful and every single one looks better than the 1st one.

I DON'T think that VM is a competitor to DKC. Gameplay and art styles are completely different. DKC = cute cartoon pre-rendered graphics. VM uses pre-rendered gfx for a realistic art style. For ART style, I think Sonic 3D Blast has the closest style of cartoon pre-rendered gfx:

VM gameplay is a unique (AFAIK) combination of platforming & run-n-gun. I have no idea if there is a game with equivalent gameplay on SNES but I doubt it (bc so much action on-screen at once).

As for DKC, the gameplay equivalent might be one of the Sonic games.

QUESTION: What exactly does "vector" refer to? A kind of computer calculation right? Anyone want to explain what the reference means exactly? Does it just mean that the game is mimicking a computer process of calculating points in 3D space? Am I close? lol

Quote Originally Posted by Ecco View Post
    QUESTION: What exactly does "vector" refer to? A kind of computer calculation right? Anyone want to explain what the reference means exactly? Does it just mean that the game is mimicking a computer process of calculating points in 3D space? Am I close? lol
    The "Vector" in Vectorman refers to vector graphics - as system of polygons and curves comprised of dedicated lines, which was implemented in games like Donkey Kong Country, rather than raster graphics - also known as bitmap or pixel points. You'll also notice Warhead in the storyline was formerly the master orbot/computer called Raster - just a play on words.

I think Vectorman was and still is a fantastic game.

Quote Originally Posted by Lync View Post
    The "Vector" in Vectorman refers to vector graphics - as system of polygons and curves comprised of dedicated lines, which was implemented in games like Donkey Kong Country, rather than raster graphics - also known as bitmap or pixel points. You'll also notice Warhead in the storyline was formerly the master orbot/computer called Raster - just a play on words.

I think Vectorman was and still is a fantastic game.
    OK so it's "Vector"man because its mimicking vector graphics right? Am I understanding this lol.

Super Robot Raging in the Streets Obviously's Avatar

It's just a play on words like Lync said. There are no vector graphics in Vectorman or even attempts to mimic them.

Vector and Raster are two different graphics types, it's theme naming. Like the musical names in the Rock/Mega Man series.

Quote Originally Posted by Obviously View Post
    It's just a play on words like Lync said. There are no vector graphics in Vectorman or even attempts to mimic them.

Vector and Raster are two different graphics types, it's theme naming. Like the musical names in the Rock/Mega Man series.
    Yep; It's mostly pseudo/pre-rendering effects; so I'd like to strike out what I mentioned about Donkey Kong Country using vector as it just follows the same suit in this category as well. (Made an assumption on that - Oops!)

One thing I never could understand though is how someone could prefer Vectorman 2 over the first. Just wasn't up to par for me.

Guys thanks for the responses.

MAYBE I'm too unfamiliar with the terms BUT:

I really thought that the point of his name VECTORman is that the graphics (in particular Vectorman himself) are MIMICKING vector graphics. Because the game (and especially the protagonist) are pseudo 3D.

Vectorman's body is fake 3D because the orbs that make up his body, are mimicking objects that are mapped-out in 3D.

In other words, his body is supposed to look 3D with a 3D depth to it, and the orbs get closer and further in his body, as he moves around.

Anyways the fake 3D movement (orbs getting closer & further, i.e. bigger & smaller in space) is the reason he's named VECTORman I think. It's mimicking the 3D object-mapping of REAL 3D software such as vector graphics.

The boss name works the same way I think. He's fake 3D and Rastar was just another type of 3D graphics AFAIK. So it works for both names AFAIK.

Well I don't know if I explained that clearly; I hope so. That's how it strikes me personally.

Do u guys agree with my views that I just explained?
    You're good - vector and raster graphics are two different implementations of illustration used only as a name association in the game; just a play on words. It's in actuality pre-rendered models at work.

Ecco- I feel you're way over thinking this vector/raster thing. An argument can be made regarding the animation style using mathematical vectors to plot out the individual sprite movements and make the characters animate, but any sense of fake 3D in the game comes from the sprite/bitmap shading, object layering, and parallax scrolling being done. So if anything, the "Vector" in the title would refer to the animation style (which is still really 2D, and not 3D), not the graphics or depth they create... IMHO mind you.

Some reading for you to help get more familiar with the two terms being thrown around in this thread...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vector_graphics
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raster_graphics
    Last edited by The Coop; 08-26-2013 at 02:09 AM. Reason: Got a bit confused with what Ecco was saying, so I fixed this.

Currently Reviewing: Galaxy Force (SMS)
    Coming Up:TF3 Side by Side
    Done:

VectorMan is a great game. It looks great, has tight controls, good level design, great sound and music, and a nice, healthy sense of humor and style. Not sure why anyone would call this game overrated...

Thanks, I'll check out those links.

I hope my posts don't seem argumentative because they're not lol.

I love the game, and I always wondered what the name meant.

In the above posts, I was trying to describe what the name seemed to mean, as far as I could figure.

Granted yeah I'm unfamiliar with the terms (vector and rastar) so maybe my unfamiliarity is causing confusion.

Also I don't know if I was describing my ideas poorly.

I do know that the game is all pre-rendered and no real 3D!

But my main point was, since it's all fake 3D, the name references the fake 3D... And implies that the fake 3D is MIMICKING the real 3D of something like real vector graphics or real rastar graphics.
    That's where I believe you're getting confused and losing people. Where are you getting this real and fake vector/raster stuff from?

Done:

Quote Originally Posted by The Coop View Post
    That's where I believe you're getting confused and losing people.
    OK srry for confusion. I deleted a couple posts above. It seemed to make sense to me, but I guess it doesn't really make sense, or I just explained it badly.

Where are you getting this real and fake vector/raster stuff from?
    ^Well the game is pseudo 3D. And the name is a reference to real 3D graphics. So I figured the name (and graphics) are referencing and mimicking real 3D graphics (like vector graphics).

Well that was my logic but I guess it doesn't make sense apparently lol.

Super Robot Raging in the Streets Obviously's Avatar

Vector doesn't mean 3D graphics. You can make 3D wire-frame games like Star Wars but old vector games like Asteroids and Lunar Lander certainly weren't.

Well the game is pseudo 3D. And the name is a reference to real 3D graphics. So I figured the name (and graphics) are referencing and mimicking real 3D graphics (like vector graphics).

Well that was my logic but I guess it doesn't make sense apparently lol.
    Aaaaaaaaaah, and now we're getting to the heart of things. Vector graphics aren't 3D by default. They can simulate their simple wire frame shapes as looking 3D (like with Battlezone), or do the same with the more complex shapes that can be made in Flash these days, but they're not 3D in and of themselves. Same thing with raster graphics. They can give the impression of something being 3D with some shading, but they're really just flat 2D bitmaps.

You really get into pseudo 3D when you start talking about isometric views (Viewpoint, Landstalker, etc.), scaling (Galaxy Force II, After Burner II, etc.), and polygonal games that use a 2D perspective (Trine, Deadlight, etc.); games that steadily bring in objects from the background, or draw much of the objects in the game from multiple sides at once. But Vectorman's visual style doesn't really match any of those. The parallax scrolling could possibly be argued as making the game pseudo 3D, but to me, that doesn't make the game simulate 3D either. It just creates a sense of depth using flattened layers moving on top of each other, which isn't quite the same as making something come off as looking three dimensional.

Done:

Thread Information