Quantcast

Thread: Rainbow Islands: The Story of Bubble Bobble 2

Megadrive Rainbow Islands: The Story of Bubble Bobble 2

Taito was pretty prolific on the Genesis, but even with all the love it showed owners, there were still a few gems that never made the trip overseas. Rainbow Islands was one that appeared on tons of consoles, but only found a home with Sega in Japan. We have a full review for you, so read on and see if this one's worth importing.
    Last edited by Melf; 08-18-2011 at 11:34 AM.

I was under the impression that the game was called Rainbow Islands Extra.
    Check out my review channel at GameFaqs here. Then feel free to leave feedback and comment here

Elemental Master WCPO Agent GameUser-16-32-128's Avatar

Taito even went so far as to give each island a specific theme, and threw in some of its other arcade creations into the mix. One level is styled like the game Arkanoid, and the opponents of another are taken from the Gradius series.
    Gradius was from Konami, not Taito. Nice review though.

whoops, my bad, it's DARIUS, not Gradius (Melf, could you correct that, please?)! Damn those shooters and their similar names...
    The funny thing about an oxymoron is, even if you remove the ox, there'll always be a moron. The Question Remains: Y?

The presentation is really bad for MD standards, but this review makes me want to try it out again.

Is it 2-player simultaneous or do you take turns?
    On a wave of mutilation

https://minirevver.weebly.com/

Master of Shinobi Dirt Ball Gamer's Avatar

Good review. Very fun game

i wish i could get this working on my commodore but no version works on ntsc

its the great rainbow consipiracy

make sure and visit my album

Sports Talker

Nice review. I got this cart in '93 or '94, but I think it's a pirate copy since the label on the cart doesn't mention either Taito or Sega. If it was a cart you reviewed Phantar, could you take a photo of it please?

Recently ordered the Pc Engine version.

Nice game from what I've tried.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Watch your back, shoot straight, and never cut a deal with the dragon. (from Shadowrun)

8 & 16 bit guy Outrunner Bloodreign's Avatar

I managed to snaggle a boxed copy of this one without manual about a year or two ago for $18 off ebay (with a friends help of course). I like the game and all, and it has two nice modes to play, original and extra. Thing is original mode does not have the 3 extra islands waiting to be unlocked, yet the Extra mode has them. There was some music axed as well in this version of RI Extra.

These days I play RI and RI Extra mainly on my Taito Memories PS2 collections (Japanese versions), or RI on PCE CD via Ootake, but every now and again I'll put that Mega Drive RI into my trusty Genesis and fire it up. It's quite the step up from the NES and SMS ports of the same game (I hold those on equal levels), though the SMS slaughters the NES in the Bubble Bobble department.

Gunstar Hero Wildside Expert Theretrogamer12345's Avatar

I'm glad this got a good review because I always used to play the arcade version on MAME as a kid and now I can purchase the actual game on the Genesis! Sorry to bring emulation into this I know not many are fans but in my defense I was young and my dad got the emulator with a big joystick so my brother an I could play. Rainbow islands was a favorite of ours

Love me some Rainbow Island Extra on the Mega Drive. This is one game every Japanese Mega Drive owner should own.

Wildside Expert

Quote Originally Posted by JFLY View Post
    Love me some Rainbow Island Extra on the Mega Drive. This is one game every Japanese Mega Drive owner should own.
    or modded US Genesis owner.

Raging in the Streets SEGA.GENESIS1989's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JFLY View Post
    This is a great title that in my opinion is very underrated. Until I read the article today, I always thought that this was a very simple platformer. Apparently it's gameplay is far deeper than I percieved. I am going to have to dedicate a bit more time progressing past the first few levels to try out some of the suggestions in the article. Credit to the author for typing a rather indepth article on the game! Much obliged!
    "There's nothing to fear, except fear itself"
    http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s486/link2link2link/YUZOKOSHIROISAGODNEOSEEDEDITION.gif

VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar

I never played this back in the day, my local arcades didn't get this or Bubble Bobble, nor a few other notable classics like Gradius and R-Type for some reason.

I'd played it in MAME, but up until a year ago I never owned a copy of Rainbow Islands. So I picked up a copy for MD and dug in. It's a classic game with plenty of technique (I didn't realise before you could jump on rainbows without breaking them) built around a genuinely original mechanic; The graphics, while simple, are obviously close to the source material and the music is a decent interpretation as well (except for the Extra Mode track which drops half the instruments out whenever a sound FX kicks in). One of the most insanely catchy VG tracks of all time IMO, to me it just never, never outstays it's welcome

There is stuff that happens in the game that I've only seen once after hundreds of plays, I need to hit up a guide and find out how I'm triggering it all.

I can understand why this was left in Japan. The games graphics, while adorable, just don't fit the profile of what SEGA was pushing the Genesis as at the time. Same deal with New Zealand Story I guess.

Thread Information