Quantcast

Thread: AH3 Thunderstrike

Default AH3 Thunderstrike

Even without gargantuan boss encounters or vast gameplay diversity, AH-3 Thunderstrike provides some of the strongest action available on the Sega CD. Pick it up and discover for yourself why critics and journalists used to care about Core.
    Last edited by Melf; 04-24-2016 at 02:19 PM.

VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar

This has been in my Mega CD quite a bit lately. I had it back on release, but I seem to enjoy it more these days for some reason. I must be immune to primitive 3D graphics cos I still think it looks good, despite the limited colour. Not as good as Core's later sprite scalers, but I'm still impressed by certain aspects like the ton of frames they used on the enemy choppers - most noticeable when you shoot one down and they go into a death spin.

As the review mentions, there isn't a lot of variety going on here but the simple arcade-style gameplay is enjoyable nonetheless. Pity there's only three music tracks to accompany all the destruction as they do tend to get pretty repetitive after twenty three years... what's there is good though for this style of game though.

Good job Core knuckled down and turned out some sprite scalers for Mega CD, eh? Sega should have pushed the scaling features harder in Japan with a few original games of their own... otherwise why bother adding it to the hardware like they did? Knowing how expensive the add-on was on release we were expecting some serious first party support in this area to justify the cost.

I'm happy with the stuff we did get, and OK SOA did Batman Returns plus there's a few other titles of dubious quality that use the ASIC but overall it's a regrettable missed opportunity.

PS Anyone know if the 32-bit sequel is any good?

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

Just had a google and could only find PlayStation sequels. I also like this type of 3D style, I'm sure a good Ecco game could have been made this way with a large square sea bed that you could swim up and down from perhaps. The more I think about it, the better it sounds!

Core did some amazing stuff, not just for the Mega CD.

Banned by Administrators

Link for review is also dead...

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert OmegaMax's Avatar

I've never seen this game before and it's really using the scaling hardware quite good.

Core also did a polygon flight-sim-ish Thunderhawk for Amiga 500 which released a few years earlier than the Mega CD game. Not really my genre, so not sure if it's any good

Hero of Algol

I feel like Core Design never gets the respect it truly deserves:
    - Core could deliver cross-platform games like Wolfchild which would play the strengths of each platform.
    - Core was of the very few developers to deliver Amiga 500 games which were technically on par with the norm you had on the PCE/MD/SNES at the time.
    - Core managed to push the convoluted Sega CD hardware on a regular basis like no other.
    - Core's output on the CD32 is pretty much the technical highlight of the system.
    - Core successfully developed games which belong to widely different genres.
    - Core redefined 3D gaming with Tomb Raider.
    - Core's highlights of hardware pushing games is pretty mind-blowing IMO: Jaguar XJ220 (A500), Skeleton Krew (Mega Drive), Soul Star (Sega CD), Banshee (CD32), Tomb Raider IV: The Last Revelation (PS1).

Back on topic, Thunderhawk II is average-at-best IMO.

Yeah, Core could certainly hold their own on console, with most stuff being consistently solid. And on Amiga they destroyed overrated devs like Team 17 and Bitmap Bros IMO.

Thread Information