Quantcast

Page 38 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2834353637383940414248 ... LastLast

Thread: Wolf32X - finally in beta!

Sports Talker

Well, the original post has zips which would let me run the shareware version, but the information about how to compile a full version seems to be scattered among 37 pages of information and often assumes things (why, no, I don't have a 68000 cross compiler installed).

I remain nonsequitur Shining Hero sheath's Avatar

Oh, yeah, I didn't pay any attention to how far in the games I could get. Sorry about that.
    "... If Sony reduced the price of the Playstation, Sega would have to follow suit in order to stay competitive, but Saturn's high manufacturing cost would then translate into huge losses for the company." p170 Revolutionaries at Sony.

"We ... put Sega out of the hardware business ..." Peter Dille senior vice president of marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment

While everything you need is included in the archives, the experience in doing it yourself is not. Also, it turns out the full version are too big for a cart. Now a TC may or may not fit depending on the number of levels and amount of walls/sprites and sounds. The full version of Wolf3D, as an example, would take about 7MB of cart space given the way the current Wolf32X is done. That's one of the things I've been looking into dealing with... leaving the data compressed when I can. The issue is the main one as always - lack of ram. There's just really no space to decompress into, so I decompress the data files for the current version.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilly Willy View Post
    The issue is the main one as always - lack of ram. There's just really no space to decompress into, so I decompress the data files for the current version.
    You really need to start looking into ways to decompress things on the fly - even better, try to come up with a compression scheme that would actually speed up rendering (e.g. due to less memory accesses or something like that).

Also dirty hack until then: make each episode its own ROM :v

Raging in the Streets Thunderblaze16's Avatar

Anyone can post of video of this game? This is the first time I'm hearing about it.
    ***Visualshock! Speedshock! Soundshock! Now is time to the 68000 heart on fire!***
    http://ban-game-4.gamewise.co/musha-metallic-uniframe-super-hybrid-armor_banner65-61867-full.jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    You really need to start looking into ways to decompress things on the fly - even better, try to come up with a compression scheme that would actually speed up rendering (e.g. due to less memory accesses or something like that).

Also dirty hack until then: make each episode its own ROM :v
    Given the speed with fully decompressed textures and sounds, decompressing things on the fly can only slow things down. It's all a matter of finding a way to limit the slow down. The original code uses a memory cache, but the 32X doesn't have the room for a decent cache.

One way you COULD make fewer accesses and more room in what little ram exists is to cut the textures in half both ways, making them 32x32 instead of 64x64. However, that comes with a loss of visual quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderblaze16 View Post
    Anyone can post of video of this game? This is the first time I'm hearing about it.

Hero of Algol

I'm in the middle of updating to the latest Wolf4SDL core (v1.7). This will add a lot of nice features like floors and ceilings, skies/clouds and rain/snow, among other things. The current version is based on the PSP port of Wolf3D, which was based on Wolf4SDL v1.5 (IIRC).
    Can the 32X handle all this mind-blowing stuff at a reasonable framerate?
    Last edited by Barone; 12-09-2011 at 07:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by agostinhobaroners View Post
    Can the 32X handle all this mind-blowing stuff at a reasonable framerate?
    Well, I won't know for sure until I get it done and try it.

One thing the next version will have is the option for "low-res" display, cutting the horizontal and/or vertical in half for better speed. I imagine the extra features WILL run fine in low-res.

Given the speed with fully decompressed textures and sounds, decompressing things on the fly can only slow things down. It's all a matter of finding a way to limit the slow down. The original code uses a memory cache, but the 32X doesn't have the room for a decent cache.

One way you COULD make fewer accesses and more room in what little ram exists is to cut the textures in half both ways, making them 32x32 instead of 64x64. However, that comes with a loss of visual quality.

Excellent work Chilly! Can't wait to play that.
    I don't play old stuff for nostalgia, I play old stuff because the games are better.
    -Drakon

Hero of Algol

Well, I won't know for sure until I get it done and try it.

One thing the next version will have is the option for "low-res" display, cutting the horizontal and/or vertical in half for better speed. I imagine the extra features WILL run fine in low-res.
    That sounds interesting and very promising...

The only "thing" that makes me want to buy a 32X is that I see your long term intention/desire of bringing the whole classic FPS package to the platform: Wolf 3D + Doom (a decent/improved version) + Duke Nukem 3D (I like the MD version but it's totally different) and maybe Quake...

If the 32X library was just good ports of those three/four FPS games I would rank the system much higher than I actually rank it.
    Last edited by Barone; 12-10-2011 at 02:44 AM.

You know that kool kitty now will demand that you implement his double-pixel fake high color idea, right?

Is that video slowing down or does the latest version of Wolf 3D have framerate dips? The one I have on my everdrive is very solid, more solid than that video appears.
    "... If Sony reduced the price of the Playstation, Sega would have to follow suit in order to stay competitive, but Saturn's high manufacturing cost would then translate into huge losses for the company." p170 Revolutionaries at Sony.

"We ... put Sega out of the hardware business ..." Peter Dille senior vice president of marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment

Quote Originally Posted by sheath View Post
    Is that video slowing down or does the latest version of Wolf 3D have framerate dips? The one I have on my everdrive is very solid, more solid than that video appears.
    That's an earlier version of Wolf32X than the latest. Notice how it has no ADLIB SFX? The current version has ADLIB SFX. That said, you can run into places where the current Wolf32X slows as well - usually where the bad guys are piled up. If you get too many bad guys and bullets flying, it can get a little choppy at the highest screen size. That's one reason the current version allows you to set the screen size, and the next will have low-res available. That should be less susceptible to frame rate dips.

EDIT: Also, turning with the joypad isn't as smooth as a mouse - it's like using the keyboard. The MegaMouse is supported, and makes turning much smoother. If you have a mouse, try it!

Hmm, I'd like to do a comparison video at some point with the Jaguar, SNES and 3DO versions. I guess I'll wait for the next version unless you want me to wait for something else as well.

ToeJam is a wiener Hero of Algol Guntz's Avatar

So will there be a version with less content for cartridge? Or is Wolf32X only playable on flash carts or possibly CD?

Thread Information