Quantcast

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: A few Game Gear questions

I would assume the cart adaptor would send a signal to the system.

Myself, I have all the Sonic GG games on the Mega and Gems Gamecube discs, so I don't need to buy the grand battery muncher.

Level 6 Rocket Knight Raging in the Streets jerry coeurl's Avatar

So is the only distinguishing characteristic of the Majesco version the white markings (as opposed to red, green, blue) above the words GAME GEAR on the left side of the screen? If it is, then I have one, and to be honest, I thought it was less valuable than the SEGA Game Gear. Anyway, a buddy and myself each got a Majesco Game Gear a few years ago, when we ordered them new through Amazon. We just assumed they were crappy knockoffs though.

You wanna buy mine, Ace?

I DON'T LIKE POKEMON Hero of Algol j_factor's Avatar

I own three Game Gears, and they all have issues. I liked GG back in the day, but nowadays they're too unreliable.

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces.

Speaking of the Game Gear.... browsing on Amazon... does anyone know what the HELL this thing is? I've never seen one, read about one,whatever.

It's a yellow Game Gear

Ok seriously, it's probably from Japan, as seen on this commercial. I remember seeing it on my Sonic Jam CD back in the day...

What I think is more interesting is, if you look at the photo of the back of it, it says it takes battery type "LR 6 (AM 3) x 6". Is this some kind of weird Japanese battery? Mine takes 6 normal AAs.

Quote Originally Posted by Blammo View Post
    It's a yellow Game Gear

Ok seriously, it's probably from Japan, as seen on this commercial. I remember seeing it on my Sonic Jam CD back in the day...

What I think is more interesting is, if you look at the photo of the back of it, it says it takes battery type "LR 6 (AM 3) x 6". Is this some kind of weird Japanese battery? Mine takes 6 normal AAs.
    It's just a foreign designation for AA batteries. Japan doesn't use the standard letter designation system we use.

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    I own three Game Gears, and they all have issues. I liked GG back in the day, but nowadays they're too unreliable.
    I know they have bad caps in them and tons of people say they have bad GG systems. But here's the crazy part. I have had like 4 of them in the past few years and they all work! Luck of the draw I guess.

All of mine still work, just not that well. Problems I have:

-- Has difficulty reading cartridges
    -- The audio is shot on one of them
    -- Pressing Button 1 makes the screen "ripple"
    -- The screen is even blurrier than originally

Quote Originally Posted by jerry coeurl View Post
    So is the only distinguishing characteristic of the Majesco version the white markings (as opposed to red, green, blue) above the words GAME GEAR on the left side of the screen? If it is, then I have one, and to be honest, I thought it was less valuable than the SEGA Game Gear. Anyway, a buddy and myself each got a Majesco Game Gear a few years ago, when we ordered them new through Amazon. We just assumed they were crappy knockoffs though.

You wanna buy mine, Ace?
    No, the Majesco versions also have a black case (instead of dark grey) and a purple start button (instead of blue) and they say mfd. by Majesco on the label on the back.

I'll try to post some comparitive photos when I get home tonight.
    Ow! My small intestine!

Mastering your Systems Shining Hero TmEE's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    All of mine still work, just not that well. Problems I have:

-- Has difficulty reading cartridges
    -- The audio is shot on one of them
    -- Pressing Button 1 makes the screen "ripple"
    -- The screen is even blurrier than originally
    All but screen ripple are bad cap issues.
    Death To MP3, :3
    Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa "Gnirts test is a shit" New and growing website of total jawusumness !
    If any of my images in my posts no longer work you can find them in "FileDen Dump" on my site ^

Nameless One

Quote Originally Posted by Ace View Post
    I couldn't care less about the TV Tuner, as I wouldn't watch TV on a portable system anyways!
    You have no need to care about the TV tuner. With the digital TV transition in the U.S., the TV Tuner will not work!

Actually some stations are still allowed to have analog broadcast. But you wouldn't get anything interesting.

Creator of the Mega Amp Raging in the Streets Ace's Avatar

It has nothing to do with the Digital transition. I would NEVER watch TV on a screen as small as the Game Gear's. Hell, I wouldn't even get a TV Tuner if I bought a TurboExpress! I don't want to watch TV on those miniature screens. And besides, I've tried to tune a TurboExpress' TV Tuner without ever getting a signal, so what's the point of having it when I can barely use the thing?
    HATES ATGAMES WITH A PASSION

Mega Amp: An all-new audio circuit for your Sega Genesis/MegaDrive and clones.

Note: If you want to contact me on Skype, identify yourself or your contact request will be rejected.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace View Post
    Hell, I wouldn't even get a TV Tuner if I bought a TurboExpress! I don't want to watch TV on those miniature screens. And besides, I've tried to tune a TurboExpress' TV Tuner without ever getting a signal, so what's the point of having it when I can barely use the thing?
    Lol, I got one of those tuners free with my Express when I bought it-- it's nearly completely useless trying to get a signal out of it. I can pick stuff up fine on my TVs that aren't plugged into the cable and analog signals are extremely strong here thanks to having Chicago nearby, but with the TE I have to go find a window to stand by to get anything. Even then it's fuzzy and impossible to watch. I really now just have it as a novelty.

Here are some comparison photos of the Majesco and Sega versions. They are pretty self-explanitory.

Ow! My small intestine!

Thread Information