Quantcast

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sonic CD

Default Sonic CD

Sonic CD was released in 1993. A side-scrolling action game like most of the other Sonic games, the famous hedgehog's first CD outing contains some of the fastest and most engrossing gameplay ever.

Sonic A Classic with Some Nagging Problems

I've only played this on the Sega PC release. For years, I've been unable to use it due to incompatibility with newer versions of Windows. Thank goodness someone released a patch for it! Now I have been able to relive some legal Sonic CD goodness on my Vista PC... albeit in a tiny window. What is nice about the PC version is I can access the animated sequences anytime I want through the file manager.

I don't know what the differences of this port are from the original Sega CD version, but I while I like this game I can't consider it the best of the Sonic series as many people seem to so regard it. I wouldn't even place it in the top 5, although it makes the lower ridge of the top 10 for me by default of there being so many Sonic tankers in recent years.

I love the idea of the time travel element although I think it's execution is lacking since it isn't really necessary to complete the best ending and you are really at the mercy of the cumbersome level design when trying to (a) find the proper post, (b) build up speed which takes way past longer than it should for the fastest hedgehog alive, IMO. (C) search the Past for the badnik machines without accidentlaly getting yourself zapped back to the future (seems like it's much easier to time travel when you don't want to!), and (D) exercise the option of enjoying the fruits of your labor by traveling back through the present AND the future... Oh, and of course you gotta collect and preserve those 50 rings to get a chance at the Bonus Stages.

The level design looks unpolished at times due to it being designed with 3 (or 4) different eras in mind. It's very difficult to build up speed without getting hit by a untimely placed enemy or getting caught in a vicious cycle of springs or bumpers.

Still, it's a Sonic classic with innovation that I wish had been perfected in future installments. How great would a full 3D version of the bonus stages be with better control and hit detection? (Speaking of which, OHHH how I love the homing attack from Sonic Adventure. Why didn't they think of that for this game to use on those dodgy UFOs!?!)

In closing, who liked the "Bad Ending" better than the "Good Ending"? I much prefer it when Sonic winds up and throws that stone at Robotnik than the less impressive "good ending" where he simply stares up as the planet explodes and showers stars to the earth.
    Last edited by oldmanwinters; 03-07-2009 at 10:58 PM.

I never got a chance to see the good ending but I really enjoyed this game. It's not the best Sonic game maybe but its still very enjoyable and the redbook audio is excellent overall.
    Check out my review channel at GameFaqs here. Then feel free to leave feedback and comment here

I stopped playing Sonic games after Sonic Adventure 2, but I did play all the ones before that. Sonic CD is my favorite (well, except maybe Sonic Jam for Saturn - but that was a compilation game...if only it also had Sonic CD in it. At least it had the Sonic CD FMV in better quality though). My main reasoning for liking it so much is the whole presentation. I really liked the past/present/future concept, the race with Metal, the music, and it was the first time I ever saw an animated opening for a videogame (by TMS no less...it was also my first Sega CD game). Maybe all of that is nostalgia, based on just how impressed I was with it when I was younger (I was playing a Sega CD for the first time - this game did stuff I never saw on my SNES or Genesis), but I am not sure. It is still the Sonic game I play most.

Angry Liberal Arts Major Hero of Algol Iron Lizard's Avatar

I liked the save feature.

WTF

Quote Originally Posted by vintagegamecrazy View Post
    I never got a chance to see the good ending but I really enjoyed this game. It's not the best Sonic game maybe but its still very enjoyable and the redbook audio is excellent overall.
    Youtube saves the day again!

Bad Ending apparently from Sega CD:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPA-9...eature=related
    Compared to the good ending, it leaves out the bit where Sonic looks up at the "planet" as it explodes and showers stars. Also, at the end of the credits the planet reappears.

Intro + Good ending from Sega PC edition:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywAKB...eature=related
    Good Ending from Japanese Sega CD:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iu4JKfGOQyo
    In both versions, the good ending omits the scene with Sonic throwing the rock at Robotnik (My favorite part, DOH!).

This is supposedly the "good ending" from the GameCube version:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Yw9resQolc
    If so, then this is a difference from the original version. It also adds a scene in the credits. The Gamecube version seems to be one of the most complete endings.

EDIT: Sorry, I can't get the Youtube embed to work.
    Last edited by oldmanwinters; 03-03-2009 at 05:01 AM.

Really good Sonic game. I'd probably place it in the top 3. If they would've worked on the level designs a little bit more and fully implemented the time travel aspect there's no doubt it could've topped Sonic 2. Also, I really liked the Robotnik battles in this. Compared to the others they were a bit more creative and the Wacky Workbench Robotnik is the only Robotnik I've ever died on. Plus racing Metal Sonic for the first time is really cool. And for the time seeing the Sonic anime intro was pretty awe inspiring.

Premier of the Guild Outrunner Ghaleon's Avatar

I loved Sonic CD, but I got so pissed: I knew that beating it with all the emeralds would get the good ending, or making a good future in every level would do it, but I thought "Well, if you do both it's gonna be the super good ending!" Wrong--spent untold hours playing through on the real hardware back in the day, no save states, to get all emeralds and all good futures, and nothing for my troubles. I was really disappointed with that.

Still love it though....gonna go play it now.
    "Dear Buddha, please bring me a pony and a plastic rocket..."

I like this game, but it's not my favorite Sonic game. The levels are all over the place and the time travel thing is eh. I also don't really like the music aside from Sonic Boom.

I have it on Sega CD, but no Sega CD to play it on...
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!
    Quote Originally Posted by llj View Post
    Count me as someone who never liked the Turbo/Hyper Fighting iterations of Street Fighter 2. The speed ups always struck me as too "Benny Hill".

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

Road Rasher

I really enjoyed this game, and I thought it was that last Sonic game to keep the original Sonic "style." Sonic 3 and Knuckles seemed to venture towards realism than the colorful pseudo 3D that the original Sonic games had.

I enjoyed the level design as well (except for Wacky Workbench) and the boss battles. The soundtrack is also top notch. Overall, an excellent Sega CD game, and one of my favorite Sonic games of all time.
    4 classic video game reviews every week - IMPLANTgames on YouTube

Japanese Sonic CD FTW!!! Master of Shinobi Ecco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    I like this game, but it's not my favorite Sonic game. The levels are all over the place and the time travel thing is eh. I also don't really like the music aside from Sonic Boom.

I have it on Sega CD, but no Sega CD to play it on...
    I actually really enjoy most of the music throughout the game; it was taken in a creative new direction from the other Sonic games. However I can't stand the Sonic Boom song! I always start the game before Sonic Boom can get going. Of course it is all a matter of personal taste.

Not my favorite Sonic game either, but I think it is unique and very good.

I hope you acquire a Sega CD to play it on! If not, there's always the old PC version -- I bought that before I got a Sega CD. The funny thing is that the special stages seemed faster on my computer version than my Sega CD version!

Ive got Sonic CD PAL but no Mega CD to play it on! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Ghaleon View Post
    I loved Sonic CD, but I got so pissed: I knew that beating it with all the emeralds would get the good ending, or making a good future in every level would do it, but I thought "Well, if you do both it's gonna be the super good ending!" Wrong--spent untold hours playing through on the real hardware back in the day, no save states, to get all emeralds and all good futures, and nothing for my troubles. I was really disappointed with that.
    I thought that you had to get good futures on every level and get all the emer... uh, time stones, to get the good ending. Only when I replayed it did I realise you only needed the stones. Doh!

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    I also don't really like the music aside from Sonic Boom...
    Like a bad smell, this was the first thing that alerted me to all the musical rot in the US version (via the PS2 Gems compilation). Allowing us the Jp version music was probably one of the few good things anyone actually did for Euro gamers

Btw - I'm not saying "Toot Toot Sonic Warrior" isn't ridiculous - but it still wins.

Quote Originally Posted by Ecco View Post
    I actually really enjoy most of the music throughout the game; it was taken in a creative new direction from the other Sonic games. However I can't stand the Sonic Boom song! I always start the game before Sonic Boom can get going. Of course it is all a matter of personal taste.

Not my favorite Sonic game either, but I think it is unique and very good.

I hope you acquire a Sega CD to play it on! If not, there's always the old PC version -- I bought that before I got a Sega CD. The funny thing is that the special stages seemed faster on my computer version than my Sega CD version!
    No need to buy the PC version. All he needs is either the Gens or the Kega Fusion emulator, the US Sega CD bios (which is very easy to find on-line), and a working CD-Rom or DVD-Rom drive. Set up the path to the bios, pop in the CD, and start playing. It takes about thirty seconds to set everything up (including assigning controller buttons to your keyboard wherever you want them), and then you'll be playing any Sega CD you own.

If you need help setting it up Baloo, send me a PM and I'll explain it all step by step (that goes for anyone else too).

Currently Reviewing: Galaxy Force (SMS)
    Coming Up:TF3 Side by Side
    Done:

I can't stand the Japanese theme song. It's borderline annoying and doesn't fit with the FMV at all.

Thread Information