Quantcast

Thread: Saint Sword

Sweat Saint Sword

A Genesis exclusive, Saint Sword seemed to be more impressive in the box then plugged into the console. Taito missed the boat with this one in a big way, failing to take advantage of the excellent transformation dynamic. What it instead gave us was a generic action slasher, with some morphing tossed in for good measure. Even so, Saint Sword is playable and might be worth looking into. Read our full review for more details.
    Last edited by Melf; 08-21-2011 at 12:47 AM.

So, I tried this out on an emulator. I doesn't seem to be terrible, but it isn't that great either. Did I miss something from the game, or is it like the reviewer said. It's kind of middle of the road.

Also, was this based on an arcade version, or was this just some junk Taito made for the Genny?

"You could have a bumper car, bumping.
    This amusement never ends..."

Quote Originally Posted by Alvatron View Post
    Also, was this based on an arcade version, or was this just some junk Taito made for the Genny?
    It was not based on arcade game. It was not even developed by Taito. It was developed by Cyclone System.

It was originally going to be called Macress (after the main character) and was originally going to be published in the US by Seismic.

I've never played the game but I gotta love the trash box art. Seriously what's with the angel's boobs?
    Check out my review channel at GameFaqs here. Then feel free to leave feedback and comment here

What? Shir is gone? Raging in the Streets StarMist's Avatar

I like this game. The review is mean.

Level 6 Rocket Knight Raging in the Streets jerry coeurl's Avatar

Doesn't seem like much from the brief time I've spent with it via emulation, but I still kinda like this game. I think I might pick it up. I like that it's got that really distinct, early Genesis look.

Quote Originally Posted by soviet View Post
    If Sega making condoms,I will to one-night-stands in every night~

VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar

I picked up the NTSCJ version recently, and apart from having some hilarious and awesome cover art, it's quite a solid game in itself. Nice early MD graphics with good colour choices and constantly respawing enemies that give the game a tempo similar to Rastan Saga. The review suggests the morphs are under utilised, I will say that so far only the centaur gets neglected when I play - the fish form is a must in the water as you move so slowly otherwise, and the bird form is great to cover ground (you work to a time limit).

Explore the stage and kill a seemingly random enemy for the key, find the exit. It's funny to start a stage , kill a creature and get the key straight away

Despite the non-linear nature of the levels, this could have been an arcade game no problems. I mean Taito did Cadash, and that has more console like qualities than this (just). Animation is limited, but we know this going in, and killing enemies is still satisfying.

The soundtrack is also superb, I was quite surprised. A nice solid early MD title that weighs in at just 4 MEG I believe. As embarrassing as it is to say, Vampire Killer's graphics and colour use would have done well to look a little more like this and not like they actually turned out.

Some opinions on this?
    Last edited by OverDrone; 01-04-2014 at 08:43 AM.

Master of Shinobi midnightrider's Avatar

Looks cool. Didn't even know this one existed.

Here's another title that just played for the first time the other day. While I found it to initially be pretty enjoyable, it soon grew tedious and repetitive. The last couple of levels got really obnoxious with how many enemies were chasing you. I think I like it just enough to pick it up again and see if I can make it all the way through but it really does just feel mediocre or middle of the road at best.
    Check out my review channel at GameFaqs here. Then feel free to leave feedback and comment here

VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar

Well, five years later and I can safely say I really can't like this game. It comes close to having merit but the actual swordplay is kinda jank, and in the crowded arena that is the MD side-scrolling action library, there is little reason to play this. It's D-tier for sure. Taito's own Cadash port is much better, and has seen a lot more replay from me than this effort ever has. I literally haven't touched it in years, and there's not many games in my collection I can say that about.

It does skewer Rastan Saga II - that's about the only head this thoroughly mediocre fantasy side-scroller can claim.

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

I don't specialize in 1CCs let alone 1LCs, but I was able to 1LC this game on Hard with minimal effort. There's just not very much meat in the Saint Sword sandwich.

Thread Information