Quantcast

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Atari Jaguar

Does anyone own a working Jaguar CD Drive ?
    1 XB360, 1 md2, 1 mcd2, 1 snes, 1 ms adapter, 1 Nes, 2Gamegears (for playing sor co op)
    http://soundcloud.com/djtwok

I DON'T LIKE POKEMON Hero of Algol j_factor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jesus.arnold View Post
    The level designs are exactly the same though, so it's meant to be the original level designs with less bosses, enemies, secret areas and extra lives?!

I wouldn't say it's any kind of original Turrican game because all it is, is an "enhanced" port, I put enhanced into quotation marks because at the end of the day Super Turrican may well have a handfull of new stages, in-game music and a coupla' new bosses but it plays like crap, is coincidentally missing every single large boss from the C64 version, as well as large sections of the levels, and loads of the extra life secret areas.
    Again, it's just not supposed to have those. And how does it play like crap? It's a differently-designed game, developed by Manfred Trenz alone. Level designs are taken from Turrican, Turrican II, and a few originals. There's no time limit, and you can run. It has multiple difficulty levels.

More relevantly, it has very good graphics for an NES game. Lots of action with very little flicker or slowdown. It runs very smoothly.

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces.

ding-doaw Raging in the Streets tomaitheous's Avatar

How come some of the Turrican (original or 2) for C64 in youtube videos lack music and just have sound effects?

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    Let's have a video war!

Also the Salamander/Life Force comparison is silly. The C64 version is a port of Salamander, not Life Force. Level 2 is supposed to have a starfield background, as the original arcade version did. Also, the NES version is missing background graphics too -- look at the first boss for example.
    I'd meant to respond to this reply, but didn't get back to it.

Play Salamander (on MAME) and you'll notice that level 1.3 has a blue cave, while the C64 version replaced it with a slightly visible starfield. The NES version does have the cave walls, but for some reason they included a black area as well. Did you notice how the ripple changed from brown to blue, on the C64 version, once the background colors changed to blue as well?

The NES version does take shortcuts as well, as should be expected, but I don't feel that the difference between the first boss of the C64 and NES versions are so drastic to really seperate which did a better job. The C64 version has one arm missing from the boss, while it has the roof and floor. And the NES version is missing the roof and floor, but has the second arm on the boss.
    Last edited by gamevet; 04-19-2009 at 10:53 PM.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

I'm not going to get any further on that, as I don't really consider myself an expert on the different versions of Salamander and Life Force. Besides, C64 versus NES is entirely moot when you can get Salamander Deluxe Pack for Saturn.

Master of Shinobi

Again, it's just not supposed to have those. And how does it play like crap?
    It makes you restart the entire level when you die, it gives you the same levels as those found in Turrican on the C64 and then breaks them by giving you unlimited rolling which basically alows you to turn into a gyroscope and roll for all the stages of the 2nd level completing them without actually needing to do anything, it has no impressive boss battles in it at all, many of the levels from Turrican that originally had alternate paths now force you to go one direction of the two paths, the music is abysmal apart from maybe 2 tracks.

It's a differently-designed game, developed by Manfred Trenz alone. Level designs are taken from Turrican, Turrican II, and a few originals. There's no time limit, and you can run. It has multiple difficulty levels.
    I don't actually recal seeing any of Turrican II in it so far but Wiki says it does so I'm sure there must be somewhere, all I remember was playing up to about the 10th stage and at that time I'd played through roughly the levels of Turrican C64 with loads of sections missing and shortened stages, half an original stage thrown in and 1 new small boss that tried to poke me with a downward protruding stick.

More relevantly, it has very good graphics for an NES game. Lots of action with very little flicker or slowdown. It runs very smoothly.
    the game runs pretty smoothly but is definately not without flicker, and I've yet to see anything even half the size of the fish boss (which is pretty much the full height of the screen) in it.

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by tomaitheous View Post
    How come some of the Turrican (original or 2) for C64 in youtube videos lack music and just have sound effects?
    Turrican on C64 doesn't have in game music except on shmup levels, I think there was some confusion due to some guy deciding to put in background music himself for his youtube video.

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    I'd meant to respond to this reply, but didn't get back to it.

Play Salamander (on MAME) and you'll notice that level 1.3 has a blue cave, while the C64 version replaced it with a slightly visible starfield. The NES version does have the cave walls, but for some reason they included a black area as well. Did you notice how the ripple changed from brown to blue, on the C64 version, once the background colors changed to blue as well?

The NES version does take shortcuts as well, as should be expected, but I don't feel that the difference between the first boss of the C64 and NES versions are so drastic to really seperate which did a better job. The C64 version has one arm missing from the boss, while it has the roof and floor. And the NES version is missing the roof and floor, but has the second arm on the boss.
    I didn't carry on with the Salamander conversation because I'm fairly sure (but not sure enough) that i've heard there were a confusing number of different revisions made for the machine and I didn't know if I'd be able to check all of them on MAME.

I remain nonsequitur Shining Hero sheath's Avatar

Moved from the 32X Retroinspection thread.

EGM April 1995: the Jaguar was positively handled:

"... If Sony reduced the price of the Playstation, Sega would have to follow suit in order to stay competitive, but Saturn's high manufacturing cost would then translate into huge losses for the company." p170 Revolutionaries at Sony.

"We ... put Sega out of the hardware business ..." Peter Dille senior vice president of marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment

EGM May 1995 Jaguar previews and reviews.

"... If Sony reduced the price of the Playstation, Sega would have to follow suit in order to stay competitive, but Saturn's high manufacturing cost would then translate into huge losses for the company." p170 Revolutionaries at Sony.

"We ... put Sega out of the hardware business ..." Peter Dille senior vice president of marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment

Gamepro May 1995 reviews and previews and whatnot.

What's the point of all these scans?

What's the point of all these scans?
    Context, for continued discussion. Why do you ask?

Just seemed a bit random.

Quote Originally Posted by sheath View Post
    Context, for continued discussion. Why do you ask?
    Thanks, for posting them. I'm enjoying seeing them here and the 3DO thread.

As an off-topic aside, the small interview with Perry Rodgers he says that he managed the Punisher on Genesis.

It all started in the 32X Retroinspection thread. Some were starting to assert that the 3DO and Jaguar were always seen as failures and thus the 32X had no valid reason for existing (it was created specifically to counter the Jaguar). So I started posting scans from magazines in 1994 and 1995 that contradict this revisionist history and adding the 3DO and Jag to the same thread made for too many pictures.

Plus, I'd like to talk about the 3DO and Jaguar more and intend to summarize and cite all of these articles in Game Pilgrimage's Console History section.

Thread Information