Quantcast

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Contra Hard Corps

Although Contra on the Megadrive is a massive epic game that I think has to be one of the hardest games ever I rather the Snes Super Contra a lot more.

I find Super Contra more playable and has a nice learning curve where as on the Megadrive they just throw you in at the deep end which can be hair pulling to say the least.

The special-needs snowman Raging in the Streets Olls's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by morcar View Post
    I find Super Contra more playable and has a nice learning curve where as on the Megadrive they just throw you in at the deep end which can be hair pulling to say the least.
    That is definitely true. SNES games are overall more well-balanced. The Mega Drive has many more (extremely) difficult games for no other reason than bad game balance and sometimes shitty controls.
    I guess this also contributed to it being the more mature game console.

Raging in the Streets Thunderblaze16's Avatar

I just notice something, the Japanese version is MUCH rarer than the NTSC version. :O
    http://ban-game-4.gamewise.co/musha-metallic-uniframe-super-hybrid-armor_banner65-61867-full.jpeg

So's your old man! Raging in the Streets zetastrike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Olls View Post
    That is definitely true. SNES games are overall more well-balanced. The Mega Drive has many more (extremely) difficult games for no other reason than bad game balance and sometimes shitty controls.
    I guess this also contributed to it being the more mature game console.
    Dave? Shouldn't you be filming Game Sack?
    Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon
    Nope. Bloodlines is the problem, not me. I have no trouble with Super Castlevania IV (SNES) and Dracula X: Rondo of Blood (TCD), and have finished both games. Both of those are outstanding games, among the best platformers of the generation. In comparison Bloodlines is third or fourth tier.

No, it's unbiased analysis. The only fanboyism is people who claim that Hyperstone Heist and Bloodlines are actually as good as their SNES counterparts.
    My Collection: http://vgcollect.com/zetastrike

The special-needs snowman Raging in the Streets Olls's Avatar

I find this game far, far superior to Contra III on the SNES. Much better graphics, level designs, music, enemies and more replay value with the several different endings/paths. Contra III may be a smidgeon easier, but still not as impressive to me as Hard Corp.

Contra III was released like 3 or 4 years before Hard Corp, and it shows to me.
    I don't play old stuff for nostalgia, I play old stuff because the games are better.
    -Drakon

Master of Shinobi midnightrider's Avatar

Even though it's there in the 1st post, from a gamers perspective, who would think to do that for the hidden ending?(I guess they are called "hidden" for a reason)

After a week of being stuck on the final form of the 4th boss, I gave in and used cheat codes to see the ending. From what I can tell, aside from the final boss, the toughest bosses were the ones piloted by DeadEye Joe(if you didn't kill him). The robot at the end of stage 5 didn't seem as hard to figure out as the final boss of stage 4.

I should prefer the SNES, as bad as I am at action games .

Smith's Minister of War Hero of Algol Kamahl's Avatar

To all the people that can't handle this game, just play the JP version. It has a life bar. Either that or get the life bar patch for the US version if you're playing on emulators.
    This thread needs more... ENGINEERS

VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar

I'm playing the Japanese version, which has the problem of being a bit too easy (not that I've beaten the final boss yet, too lazy), but I can get there in good shape.

The US version sounds better with the one-hit deaths IMO. Does Probotector retain the one-hit kills?

Smith's Minister of War Hero of Algol Kamahl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OverDrone View Post
    The US version sounds better with the one-hit deaths IMO. Does Probotector retain the one-hit kills?
    Yes, the japanese version is the only one with a life bar. To me the game would be perfect if it gave you just one extra hitpoint. Most of the time what screws me over is just a minor mistake that makes me lose the weapon I need.
    This thread needs more... ENGINEERS

Master of Shinobi midnightrider's Avatar

I'll still keep trying from time to time. I just didn't want to be so concentrated on that 1 game, as I was, and barely seeming to get an inch closer to beating the one boss.

Edit: Saw a guide earlier, didn't realize the machines arms don't hurt, and you were supposed to be able to stay ahead of the beams. Was actually trying to slide through the lower arm and beams at the same time... Well, now I can get past stage 4 anyway.

2nd edit: I don't know what it is about this one. I had Super C, and I never played it as much.
    Last edited by midnightrider; 04-23-2014 at 10:45 AM.

This game is far superior to the SNES version in terms of gameplay...controls are slighty better on the SNES and so are the graphisms but the fact you have several characters to choose from each with a different set of weapons that you could use anytime (and not some switching/choosing like you have in the SNES version) makes it better. The universe is also darker in the SEGA version....That said, both version are different enough to actually make you want to have both just like the TMNT games.

I use to own the genesis version and now I own the japanese one. Some might argue the japanese version is for "rookie" since there is a life bar..but given on hard and some frustrating the game is, the genesis version is then ridiculous while the japanese one is a pure blast to play...but not to pay!!

WCPO Agent Cornelius Spunkwater's Avatar

Life bars? Pansies.

I found Hard Corps to be a lot easier than Contra 3 actually, thanks to being invincible when you slide. I can handle the whole game fairly well, whereas I tend to have a terrible time with Contra 3 starting from that boss on the wall in stage 3. I even had an easier time with Contra and Super C than Contra 3, actually. It's the only one I can't really grasp, though I do have some fun with it.

Formerly segafan1989 Master of Shinobi 4Runner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kamahl View Post
    To all the people that can't handle this game, just play the JP version. It has a life bar. Either that or get the life bar patch for the US version if you're playing on emulators.
    A game genie works wonders...

Thread Information