Quantcast

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Contra Hard Corps

WCPO Agent Cornelius Spunkwater's Avatar

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here.

Master of Shinobi midnightrider's Avatar

I was actually being sarcastic, trying to point out that it's not the fault of the inclusion of the options to make games easier, as it is those that would use them and complain that the game's too easy. It's like when someone calls the Game Genie/Shark "the devil's tool." Some(a lot?) of us don't notice the patterns, or have the best reaction time, so if they choose to buy a cheat device to get them through, that's their prerogative. No one's coaching a sporting event here. You really shouldn't care how someone else chooses to play video games.

As for the last point, I guess SEGA.GENESIS1989 means he wants the absolute most authentic way to play possible. The physical console plugged into a TV, the Genesis controllers, cartridges, cases, manuals, and the ability to hold them in hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornelius Spunkwater View Post
    Life bars? Pansies.
    This sums up the discussion of the last several pages in my mind.

It's nice for a game that really demands a lot out of a player. Not every game can be like that, but in Contra's case, it is both expected and welcomed. Hard Corps may be a little boss-heavy from a Contra-angle, but since there are plenty of good Contra games that have great stages, I can forgive and enjoy a diversion from the norm.

The best Contra. Nuff said

Anyway, i was playing this game with a friend a couple days ago and it made me remember how much i like the soundtrack in this game, especially the music 'Last Springsteen' ( weird title, but Bruce Springsteen is know as "The Boss", so it really makes all sense in the world )

They remade it for Contra Rebirth, but it doesn't sound as good:
    Last edited by Bottino; 09-13-2014 at 10:53 PM.

Best Contra Ever!
    9/10

What's up with the myth about Hard Corps extreme difficulty? I frequently see the opinion that Alien Wars has "more balanced difficulty". But that game liked to screw you over with unavoidable stuff especially on hard difficulty setting. Hard Corps on the other hand can be easily completed without losing a life once you learn boss patterns. HC feels like a more fun and fair game where if you die you feel it's only your fault. AW feels unfair and frustrating some times.

That can probably be attributed to a few things:
    *People who grew up on Alien Wars, and won't play Hard Corps enough to adjust it's frantic nature. (see: 75% of Youtube)
    *Stage 1: It won't ease you in, and in fact can be one of the most difficult stages to deal with, because of how fast enemies appear on screen, with explosions going off all over the place, which makes it easy to not notice a bullet coming at you, sometimes.
    *You'd be surprised how many people never look at any kind of instructions beforehand, which means they don't know everything they're capable of, which in this case means they don't know about the slide kick.

That said, I'll take the bosses that don't take forever to kill, while you're rotating the screen around.

Death Adder's minion

Its weird seeing so many people say this game is extremely hard. I don't have any problem beating this game on any of the paths. But I guess it helps that I've had this game since it came out.lol The last time I played it I completed all 6 possible endings in one day.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightrider View Post
    they don't know about the slide kick.
    Ah yes, the slide kick! The thing that REALLY helps.

Man, I love this one. You can't imagine how happy I was when I read this game's preview on a magazine: Probotector was coming to our MDs (if you're wondering, I play the Contra version now. I prefer it by far)! And when I rented it, I wasn't dissapointed. I has all the non-stop action of the Contra saga, lots of nifty graphic effects, good music and a interesting twist on all those alternate routes and semi-secret levels and endings, many of whom show an enormous sense of humor and self-deprecating. I got hooked on the saga inmediately.

I've been playing it on and off for years, and just a little while ago, finally beat, well, one path(rescue the research center, and surrender). That's a few days of dedicating some time to it, but at the same time that was with the knowledge of how to get through the first 5 stages. Still, no cheat codes or anything, just old fashioned persistence. So yeah, this game is beatable as per the changes to the non-Japanese versions.

Edit(beat the chase & surrender path as well, now):
    Is this a common glitch? I got to the point where you could refuse an offer from the Colonel, and during the ensuing battle he just kept spinning up the right side of the screen, and neither one of us could damage the other.
    Last edited by midnightrider; 11-26-2018 at 10:54 AM.

Thread Information