Quantcast

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Castlevania Bloodlines

Smith's Minister of War Hero of Algol Kamahl's Avatar

Castlevania Bloodlines is an obviously rushed mess, a really fun mess but a mess nonetheless. I give props to Konami for throwing a bit more of a bone our way than crapcom, but getting second rate shit didn't make me very happy. The only team that gave a crap were the Contra 3 guys, they really gave it their all on the Genesis too with RKA and Contra HC and I give them major props for that (or maybe they just had more freedom inside Konami?). Then we got Sparkster which I'm pretty sure was a PC88 demo made by the janitor as a joke that they somehow ported over.
    Last edited by Kamahl; 03-29-2018 at 06:32 PM.
    This thread needs more... ENGINEERS

Outrunner

For me is an excelent castlevania. Maybe it is because is the less traditional from the traditional castlevania. Maybe I like it because I really enjoyed Eric gameplay (but I hate the other character animation and gameplay) Anyway, for me is a very fun game, with very nice music, and very memorable levels.
    Last edited by Nightwolf; 03-30-2018 at 08:29 PM.

This looks like a must buy for me, keep losing out on auctions on ebay, hopefully I can acquire for less than fifty notes in a box

Wildside Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Mega Drive Bowlsey View Post
    Well I'm not sure why you can't believe it. It is a very good game in it's own right. It is an original Castlevania game made for the Mega Drive and it is an above average entry into the Castlevania franchise. Not much more needs to be said.
    Well, I expect better than average from Konami. Especially after the stellar Dracula X on PCE, Bloodlines just seems incredibly halfassed. They could've done faaar better than this.

VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar

The audiovisual side of the game could use some work, but the gameplay itself is probably the tightest of the 16-bit Castlevanias - Rondo excepted since I still haven't played it. I know it has a faster flow than SCIV and XX.

Quote Originally Posted by OverDrone View Post
    The audiovisual side of the game could use some work, but the gameplay itself is probably the tightest of the 16-bit Castlevanias - Rondo excepted since I still haven't played it. I know it has a faster flow than SCIV and XX.
    Yeah gameplay wise the game is great, even when playing as John IMO. It just sucks to have gotten the least polished Castlevania of the generation. They didn't even bother to align the characters with the floor! The music is wonderful too but that's only thanks to Michiru Yamane because the sound driver is utter crap. Not even some PSG use? What the hell!

Here's what the game could have sounded like:

Notice just how much fuller it sounds with proper drums and PSG.

VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar

Yeah, that sounds way punchier. And better.

Some of the drums in Bloodlines are just weaksauce little stabs of static. No problems making good drums from FM either, as much earlier games like Midnight Resistance (or any game using Sakimoto's driver) proved. I'm sure Michuru Yamane didn't want to leave them like that, but Konami obviously wanted to ship the game, so

Hopefully someone makes a patch to properly align the characters, Savaged Regime remakes the entire soundtrack, and someone mixes all of that with a proper homebrew sound driver and Pyron's colour patch and we end up with the best Castlevania of the generation (yes, that's how much it takes to fix the game).

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by Kamahl View Post
    Hopefully someone makes a patch to properly align the characters,
    What's the exact issue here? Please, explain it to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    What's the exact issue here? Please, explain it to me.
    Try to picture how the main characters are situated in 3D space. They literally have 1 foot half falling off the platforms. This does not happen with most enemies, they are properly centered on the floor and even when they aren't they are at least sensibly placed.

There are other parts in the game where the alignment is even worse.

Here's a zoomed in pic without the lines:

John Morris is literally walking on air.
    Last edited by Kamahl; 03-31-2018 at 03:00 PM.

Wildside Expert

Here's what the game could have sounded like:

Notice just how much fuller it sounds with proper drums and PSG.
    Woah! I'm in the minority that actually don't care much for the soundtrack to this game, but a boost like this would definitely be enough to change my mind on this point. Very impressive!

The stairs, that is where this game really shines, how am I the only person who notices this shit? Seriously...

The Gaming Gangsta Master of Shinobi profholt82's Avatar

I like Bloodlines well enough, but it's not a masterpiece or anything, and was never considered to be at the time of its release. Castlevania IV was lauded as a masterpiece at the time of its release though. But in retrospect, I think Bloodlines is a funner game.

I'd rather play Dracula X than either though. Old school Castlevania gameplay, and the purtiest to look at, especially all of that glorious paralax scrolling. Everyone hates that game for some reason though. They can all suck it.

Wildside Expert

The stairs, that is where this game really shines, how am I the only person who notices this shit? Seriously...

Haha, I always thought the stairs animation looked weird, but I never paused to check why exactly. This is like x10 more extreme than the floor thing, and it definitely shows what a sloppy rushjob the game was. Hopefully there will be a hack to fix this someday.

Quote Originally Posted by profholt82 View Post
    I like Bloodlines well enough, but it's not a masterpiece or anything, and was never considered to be at the time of its release. Castlevania IV was lauded as a masterpiece at the time of its release though. But in retrospect, I think Bloodlines is a funner game.

I'd rather play Dracula X than either though. Old school Castlevania gameplay, and the purtiest to look at, especially all of that glorious paralax scrolling. Everyone hates that game for some reason though. They can all suck it.
    The PCE original rarely gets anything but love, so I'm guessing you mean the SNES port. For me, the music was definitely the most impressive part of that one, it was quite an achievement how close they got to the original CD tracks. Rondo just blows it away in every other regard though, and compared to what they accomplished there on the PCE, Bloodlines really seems kind of embarrassing.
    Last edited by Lion; 04-01-2018 at 03:02 PM.

Hero of Algol

@Kamahl
    Thanks for the explanation. I had noticed the staircase weirdness but not the alignment issue in its own.

About 4th gen Castlevania games:
    - Super Castlevania IV is by far the worst IMO. Controls like shit, gameplay is a sluggish mess, tile work is by far the worst, animation is horrid, music is hit and miss, sfx are shitty, etc.

- Rondo of Blood is the best, most fun and a gazillion times more polished than the others. All graphics are very well detailed, with great animation all around; soundtrack is fenomenal and the sfx are pretty good, with great use of PCM voice clips.
    Last but not least, alongside with Streets of Rage 2 and a few others it's one of the console games which make really great use of color and art for proper CRT highlight and sparkling effect; none of the other Castlevania games are nowhere near as good in such aspect.

- Both SNES' Dracula X and Bloodlines are hit and miss in several aspects. I usually prefer bloodlines 'cause it's at least its own thing, other than Dracula X which is a butchered, watered down, messed up version of Rondo of Blood.
    Dracula X has stuff like original tiles which have that typical SNES look mixed with tiles brought from the PCE game without the proper optimization; it's sad.
    Bloodlines has good tile work overall, but some parts are really, really poor; like not even alpha stage stuff. It's very unfortunate. The compositions are great even considering that they do not make extensive use of the hardware; the sfx are OK. The color use is terrible, to say the least.
    The one thing Bloodlines excels at is in terms of the multi-jointed bosses. They move better and animated faster than the other ones. Other than that, the other technical measurements in terms of animation put it below Rondo of Blood.
    Last edited by Barone; 04-01-2018 at 04:43 PM.

Thread Information