Quantcast

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Castlevania Bloodlines

Wow.

I was blown away when this came out.

I also had already played through 1-3 on the NES,4 on the SNES,and Rondo of Blood on my Turbo Duo.

It has great design,2 playable characters,some impressive visual tricks,pretty good tunes and awesome boss battles.

One of my favorites in the series. I always wanted the Japanese release as it was even more bloody!

Grandmaster's Reckoning ESWAT Veteran Knuckle Duster's Avatar

Tied in with this thread:
    http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7237

I still don't understand why people compare Bloodlines to SCV:4, there's 3 years in the difference between the two, and the Genesis uses a 68000 proc, which architecture is by no means 'unfamiliar' with the primates on Konami's payroll circa 1994.

A better comparison would be to the butchered port to SNES of Dracula X, which wins on sharper animations and a 'different/SNES' sound, but fails on gameplay, design, fun, and overall 'technical perfection' for the hardware it was on. Bloodlines took the series awesome music and turned it into something wonderful on the Genesis, which was and still is stereotyped for it's 'under-polished' sound.

The SCV4 music enthusiast's who claim it's better than Bloodlines are smoking some marvelous substances for sure, considering it's 90% ambient noise with subtle bass effects.

Again though, I wouldn't compare the two, the x68000 remake was released in 1993, that would even be a better comparison, one that 'would' make sense. I like this version, but it's still not as fun as Bloodlines.

Master of Shinobi

Pirate Smiley

Quote Originally Posted by Knuckle Duster View Post
    SCV:4
    I'm scratching my head here, thinking "what is SCV:4" ???

I know the internet is destroying the English language, but a good general rule of thumb with acronyms is to not use them unless the referenced word or phrase has already been established.

Another good idea is to not just pull them out of your ass.
    Castlvania is one word. It is not Castle Vania.

Excellent nitpicking.

Tied in with this thread:
    http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7237
    considering it's 90% ambient noise with subtle bass effects.
    IIRC there's not a single track that could be properly described as "ambient noise" in the game, and at least half of the tracks follow the usual pop song structure... There are some odd time signatures in a few of them though.
    Last edited by Alianger; 06-02-2009 at 11:33 PM.
    On a wave of mutilation

https://minirevver.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Zz Badnusty View Post
    I'm scratching my head here, thinking "what is SCV:4" ???

I know the internet is destroying the English language, but a good general rule of thumb with acronyms is to not use them unless the referenced word or phrase has already been established.

Another good idea is to not just pull them out of your ass.
    Castlvania is one word. It is not Castle Vania.
    Super Castlevania 4. Not that hard to figure out really, given the thread and all

But in all seriousness, Castlevania has been abbreviated as CV for a while. I'm not that up on internet lingo, but it's something I've been seeing for years, so it's familiar to me. Some things on the web, and in real life, get abbreviated via syllables instead of words. Why it happens is up the air really, but I'd wager that in the case of Castlevania, that it's because the word has two main strong syllables, and it's what stands out most when saying the word. As a result, the "CV" abbreviation was born.

Currently Reviewing: Galaxy Force (SMS)
    Coming Up:TF3 Side by Side
    Done:

Master of Shinobi

I just hate the codification of language through the use of acronyms, is all.
    And then they way they are used and misused in videogame forums just takes things to another level.

Super Castlevania IV is not SCV:4
    IIJW!

Quote Originally Posted by Alianger View Post
    Excellent nitpicking.

IIRC there's not a single track that could be properly described as "ambient noise" in the game, and at least half of the tracks follow the usual pop song structure... There are some odd time signatures in a few of them though.
    Well, I'm referring to the effective nature of the music itself, how it focuses more on ambiance than the other traditional CV games, especially Bloodlines. The tracks more more muted/subtle for the earlier stages of the game which don't fall in line with the other titles. You could say it's more diverse, whereas other game's music is usually 'straight to the point.' I certainly don't prefer it.

I just hate the codification of language through the use of acronyms, is all.
    And then they way they are used and misused in videogame forums just takes things to another level.

Super Castlevania IV is not SCV:4
    IIJW!
    'video game' is two words, "OH SNAP!"
    Seriously, cry yourself a river, find the shallowest part, and dive in already.

Master of Shinobi

'video game' is two words, "OH SNAP!"
    Seriously, cry yourself a river, find the shallowest part, and dive in already.
    dh, srsly.

Perhaps you would have understood it better had I typed vg.
    Video game and videogame have been interchangeable since the debut of SI.

Take your BS acronyms and STUYA, or STFU.

dh, srsly.

Perhaps you would have understood it better had I typed vg.
    Video game and videogame have been interchangeable since the debut of SI.

Take your BS acronyms and STUYA, or STFU.
    lol,srsly? U R Scrub with acronyms. L2P with L337speak, Noob; kthxbi.

No, seriously. Grammar policing or bitching about acronyms while out of context. I understand. It doesn't make you less of a dickhead if it's justified.

However, having provided you a link to another thread, one would assume you would at least look at it since it bears value in the context of my original message; and one would also assume that a title such as "Castlvania Bloodlines > Super Castlevania 4 ?" would indeed explain what the fuck 'SCV:4' actually meant in a post about 'Comparing the two games'.

Don't attempt to troll an issue that undermines your own intelligence.

Don't be an idiot because it's easy.

Castlevania Bloodlines>>>>>>>>Super Castlevania IV

IV just looks ugly and for a Castlevania game it's way too easy. I mean in stage 9 or something you fight a bat made out of gold tokens that puts up the fight of a stage 1 boss. The last 3 or so stages start to get interesting but by then it's too late. Castlevania Bloodlines isn't incredibly difficult but it does provide a challenge throughout the entire game. I mean I've played it a bunch but I can still slip up and die on just about any stage. As for the 16-bit Vanias I would probably rank them like this:

1. Rondo of Blood
    2. Castlevania Bloodlines
    3. Castlevania Chronicles(X68000) (Been a While since I've played it, could possibly beat out Bloodlines, they're pretty close in my book anyway)
    4. Super Castlevania IV
    5. Castlevania: Dracula X (Good music and graphics but they butchered the level design)

Anyone own a Jap version of Bloodlines and if so how much did they pay for it? I definitely want it at some point.

Well, I'm referring to the effective nature of the music itself, how it focuses more on ambiance than the other traditional CV games, especially Bloodlines. The tracks more more muted/subtle for the earlier stages of the game which don't fall in line with the other titles. You could say it's more diverse, whereas other game's music is usually 'straight to the point.' I certainly don't prefer it.
    You could also say it is background music, not a rock album. It's supposed to suit the scenes in the game. Not saying either approach is wrong for Castlevania (esp. the traditonal games), but your first claim was a bit ridiculous.
    On a wave of mutilation

https://minirevver.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by WildWillyWilson View Post
    Anyone own a Jap version of Bloodlines and if so how much did they pay for it? I definitely want it at some point.
    I heard the Japanese Megadrive version had a low print run.

Yup it's fairly pricey, I had a chance to get it for cheap once and I'm not sure why I didnt buy it. Anyway, I want to see what the final fight with Dracula is like because his 2nd "transformation" is actually supposed to be a separate character.

Unnecessary bump, because this game annihilates other platformers with it's sheer awesomeness.

Thread Information