Quantcast

Thread: James "Buster" Douglas Knockout Boxing

Sonic James "Buster" Douglas Knockout Boxing

In 1990, Sega was riding high on the success of its licensed sports games. Joe Montana Football was a solid seller, and the company was ecstatic to have secured the license of the new heavyweight boxing champ - the man who defeated "Iron" Mike Tyson - James "Buster" Douglas. Unfortunately, Sega apparently made more of an effort to get Douglas' moniker on the box than it did to make the actual game around it, as the licensed Final Blow game it used was mediocre at best. To add insult to injury, Douglas lost his championship belt to Evander Holyfield in his very first title defense a mere nine months later. Staff writer Christian Matozzo has been training hard to go a full twelve rounds with the Genesis release of James "Buster" Douglas Knockout Boxing, and he's come back bruised and battered with a full review. Read it and savor it, friends. Let not his sacrifice be in vain.
    Last edited by Melf; 08-01-2011 at 09:08 PM.

I thought it was decent at best. Graphics must've been pretty impressive back in 1990.

Why Sega re-released it in 1992 as a "Sega Classic" is beyong me, as it was long after Douglas's hype (and his loss) had passed. Excess stock I suppose.

TRIVIA: "Pat Riley Basketball" was the first Genesis game to sell over 100,000 copies.

Quote Originally Posted by Aarzak View Post
    I thought it was decent at best. Graphics must've been pretty impressive back in 1990.

Why Sega re-released it in 1992 as a "Sega Classic" is beyong me, as it was long after Douglas's hype (and his loss) had passed. Excess stock I suppose.

TRIVIA: "Pat Riley Basketball" was the first Genesis game to sell over 100,000 copies.
    Hmm, that trivia will help my next article. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!
    Quote Originally Posted by llj View Post
    Count me as someone who never liked the Turbo/Hyper Fighting iterations of Street Fighter 2. The speed ups always struck me as too "Benny Hill".

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by Aarzak View Post
    What, it's not real trivia? Awwwwww .

Anyway, does Sega Classic Sonic the Hedgehog exist? I saw a picture of one on Digitpress.com with a K-A ESRB Logo on it, wasn't sure if it was real.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!
    Quote Originally Posted by llj View Post
    Count me as someone who never liked the Turbo/Hyper Fighting iterations of Street Fighter 2. The speed ups always struck me as too "Benny Hill".

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

Yes, it does.

There was a "Sega Classic" Sonic 1 re-release around 1993-ish; the box art had the then-new "red candystripe" packaging. "Streets of Rage" also got the same treatment. (I know because I owned a copy). Apart from the updated box art, the manuals and carts were exactly the same as their original releases, except of slightly lower quality.

There was also a Sonic 1 re-release around 1996, which strangely kept the original "grid" packaging from circa-1991 but added an ESRB K-A rating on the front. Apart from that I figure it was the same as well.

Not to mention, before both of these re-releases, Sonic 1 was re-printed around 1992-ish (probably before Sonic 2 came out, I dunno), which had the slightly updated, circa-1992 "Sega Genesis 16-Bit Cartridge" logo on the box art and cartridge. Apart from that it too, was the same as the original release.

bakc when i got my genesis they had a coupon where you could get a sports title free i picked buster douglas it was a close choice i think i should have chose the super monaco anybody remember what other titles there were to choose from?

make sure and visit my album

ICE HOCKEY BY ACTIVISION! The Sports Guy's Avatar
    Sega-16's Resident Sports Authority. Chief Heckler of the Midwest.

Next up on the tee:
    Tecmo Super Bowl III
    Bass Masters Classic

That game looked awesome back in the day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoltor View Post
    Japan on the other hand is in real danger, if Japanese men don't start liking to play with their woman, more then them selves, experts calculated the Japanese will be extinct within 300 years.

Nice button masher, very close graphically and action-wise to the Taito, coin-op which sported digitized speech and nicer SFX (I only played it on MAME to be fair). And endorsed by the guy who upsetted and humiliated an already legendary - in his early twenties - beast like Mike Tyson. However, novelty of the game, like Douglas, got old soon, and both in real life and in Sega gaming endorsement, lost to the greatest heavyweight of the 90s (at least for me): Evander Holyfield

Thread Information