Quantcast

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Best homebrew for Sega CD

Banned by Administrators

Default Best homebrew for Sega CD

I just discovered Sonic 1 Mega Mix for Sega CD

http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_1_Megamix

you can download it and burn it to a CD-R and play it on your real Sega CD. Are there any other good Sonic or otherwise games that were ported to the Sega CD and can be burned? I know you can burn official games, but I already have most of the official games I want, I'm interested in homebrew and ports for the Sega CD that can only be obtained by burning them to a CD-R.

cool gonna burn this when i get some cds , we need more homebrew for the segacd

Wildside Expert

Yes we really need some homebrew here!

50fps because why not? Master of Shinobi Flygon's Avatar

In before someone makes a NES emulator.

Or Gameboy (Though, uh, thats been done on the 32x already).

Japanese Sonic CD FTW!!! Master of Shinobi Ecco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 17daysolderthannes View Post
    I just discovered Sonic 1 Mega Mix for Sega CD

http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_1_Megamix
    I would love to burn Sonic Megamix for my Sega CD! But I don't know how to do it.

I have a CD / DVD burner in my computer, which works great, and I use Nero Express software. (I've only burned DVD's and CD's.)

Once Megamix is downloaded to my computer, what do I have to do to get it burned?

I'd hold off on burning it, and just play it in Kega Fusion (which can mount Sega CD isos). No sense burning a new CD for each new release. Just wait until they make their final version, then burn it.

Currently Reviewing: Gods
    Coming Up:TF3 Side by Side
    Done: Steel Talons

Premier of the Guild Outrunner Ghaleon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ecco View Post
    I would love to burn Sonic Megamix for my Sega CD! But I don't know how to do it.

I have a CD / DVD burner in my computer, which works great, and I use Nero Express software. (I've only burned DVD's and CD's.)

Once Megamix is downloaded to my computer, what do I have to do to get it burned?
    Good point about the emulator, but if you do wanna burn it (I did)....

0. *IF and only if* you are on an older (pre-XP) version of Windows: Download 7zip and install it: http://www.7-zip.org/download.html
    1. double-click on the .zip file for Sonic Megamix: if using 7zip, click on the .iso file, then click "extract" and specify your desktop. If using Win XP/Vista default .zip file handling, just cut and paste the .iso file to your desktop.
    2. double-click the shiny new .iso file on your desktop to open your default burner program and burn it.
    "Dear Buddha, please bring me a pony and a plastic rocket..."

Quote Originally Posted by The Coop View Post
    I'd hold off on burning it, and just play it in Kega Fusion (which can mount Sega CD isos). No sense burning a new CD for each new release. Just wait until they make their final version, then burn it.
    Well, if I were going to play the game, I'd really prefer to play it on the old Sega CD...

For me, there would be the novelty of burning a game for the Sega CD for the first time, and it seems like a cool addition to a Sega CD collection, and I love the Genesis controllers, etc. etc.

I say go ahead and burn it - they come out with new versions infrequently, and CDRs are cheap. No reason not to burn it.

Just tell your burning software to burn an image to CD, then select the iso file. I did that, and the current version works fine on real hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghaleon View Post
    Good point about the emulator, but if you do wanna burn it (I did)....

0. *IF and only if* you are on an older (pre-XP) version of Windows: Download 7zip and install it: http://www.7-zip.org/download.html
    1. double-click on the .zip file for Sonic Megamix: if using 7zip, click on the .iso file, then click "extract" and specify your desktop. If using Win XP/Vista default .zip file handling, just cut and paste the .iso file to your desktop.
    2. double-click the shiny new .iso file on your desktop to open your default burner program and burn it.
    Thank you for the input! I was just trying it out.

I think the point where the process breaks down for me is this: Getting Nero to add the .iso file to a "compilation" which will then be burned.

Nero tells me that "one or more files could not be added to a compilation. It may be possible, that the files can be added, if a dedicated plug-in is installed."

So I guess I need a plug-in to allow Nero to add .iso files...

You shouldn't have to do any of that.

Start up Nero using the Nero Smartstart shortcut, and under "Copy and Backup", choose "Burn Image to Disc". A new pair of windows will come up, with one of them looking for the ISO that should be on your desktop. Click the ISO, hit "Open", verify that the drive Nero wants to use for burning is the right one, and select a burning speed (slower is usually better). Click "Next", and put in a blank CD-R if you don't already have one in the drive. All you should have to do now is burn the disc, and test it in your Sega CD.

Currently Reviewing: Gods
    Coming Up:TF3 Side by Side
    Done: Steel Talons

Quote Originally Posted by Chilly Willy View Post
    Just tell your burning software to burn an image to CD, then select the iso file.
    Yes! That was exactly what I needed to hear. Once I started the process by selecting "Burn Image to Disc" from Nero's choices, I was golden. The game was burned (and had its data verified) in less than a minute!

I then ran to my Sega CD and popped it in. Works perfectly. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by The Coop View Post
    You shouldn't have to do any of that.

Start up Nero using the Nero Smartstart shortcut, and under "Copy and Backup", choose "Burn Image to Disc". A new pair of windows will come up, with one of them looking for the ISO that should be on your desktop. Click the ISO, hit "Open", verify that the drive Nero wants to use for burning is the right one, and select a burning speed (slower is usually better). Click "Next", and put in a blank CD-R if you don't already have one in the drive. All you should have to do now is burn the disc, and test it in your Sega CD.
    Thank you for this input!

I actually managed to get the game burned right before I read your instructions, which are dead-on. Selecting "Burn Image to Disc," as you mentioned, was the missing link I was looking for!

Banned by Administrators

ok, so back on topic, are there any other good homebrew games available on Sega CD?

Retro Nutter! Road Rasher Speedle's Avatar

sonic megamix is truely awesome! im suprised really thats there has been no more homebrew on par with megamix for some time now!

if there is anymore good stuff out there i'd love to hear about it!

Thread Information