Quantcast

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Side by Side: Final Fight (SNES vs. Sega CD)

Default Side by Side: Final Fight (SNES vs. Sega CD)

Final Fight is a bona fide classic, no doubt. Capcom's brought it home several time, and each port has been...lacking in certain areas. Both Genesis and SNES fans enjoyed versions during the 16-bit era, and Sega-16 has played both extensively to see how they compare. Have a gander at the latest installment of Side by Side for the results.
    Last edited by Melf; 02-27-2012 at 10:39 PM.

Great comparison. I wish the magazines had done this back in the day. Personally I prefer the Sega CD version over the arcade version due to the sound alone. The sound and music in the arcade is bad enough to make your ears bleed, just like the SNES version, maybe worse! Capcom arcade games rarely sounded good (UN Squadron anyone?) with only a few exceptions like Ghouls N' Ghosts. I can't stand the patented "Capcom Synthesized Guitar".

Most of Capcom's first SNES titles sounded awful. If you think Final Fight was bad, play Captain Commando and prepare to weep.

Super Robot Raging in the Streets Obviously's Avatar

Let's just be happy Capcom learned the ins and outs of the Super Nintendo's sound hardware in time for games like Megaman X though in retrospect their crazy synth guitar makes a lot more sense in the Megaman games.

Interesting article, the side by side comparisons are always fun to read.

Master of Shinobi ary incorparated's Avatar

Yeah Yeah,i never heard good guitar in any snes megaman game,Good music yes.One point the sega cd version gets in my uppinion is the grphics,Their defnitly not the same as snes,mega cd had more characters in screen and Like the characters Cody snes vs Cody mega cd,Cody looks more dedicated to the arcade on the MCD,on the snes he is to skinny.The music is awesome in the mega cd version,BTW never nticed any synth guitar in any capcom game.The GBA port isnt that good,its almost the same one as the snes only pumped with extra,s.Sore that mega cd wasnt Presenting.while it has the quality and a few damn good games.the snes colour pallete was only maxed in DK country games and Ki.i know a pretty fine instalment,Vectorman vs Donkey kong country,just a idea. I like these comparasing instalments.Maybe Aladin is a good one two or contra on snes vs contra HC etc,anyways good work and i love these kind of reviews.

Banned by Administrators 16bitter's Avatar

Final Fight on SNES is close to worthless, isn't it?

Granted, I still would have preferred it to that copy of Ultra Man I bought around the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by 16bitter
    Granted, I still would have preferred it to that copy of Ultra Man I bought around the same time.

Ouch.

Ectually its so unfinished,I loved Final fight 3 the most of the 3.the Final Fight serie on the snes hasnt got the power that streets of rage has.Rival turf and some other games on snes where good alternatives,Oooh yeah and not forget Batman returns,Snes does good with such titles.I like snes but not final fight on the snes,But i find it a bit frustrating game in difficulty,just 2 buttons to do youre tricks and there are more enemys in the MDCD which makes it a bit difficult,MDCD is a fine console for such games,I like this version more then in the arcade tough,Luckely i own a Multimega hehehe.If you have a CDX,Multimega,youve got a simple and Damn fine machine,and mega cd Does feature scalling and rotation much so Graphically the systems total is a good counter for the snes,since mega cd shows some very clean and sharp graphics while it has its top games,Sonic CD Snatcher etc,Pump a 32x on youre CDX and youve got a freaking relaxt machine,Or Mastersystem converter,sega did make it easier for the Gamer even with their Flopped Add ons who are still good in their own way.I think Maybe the Final fight serie would have made a better presentation on the mega Cd. 16Bitter did you have ultramen,i know a gameshow that is coming soon in the dutch that does a Comical part with that game,someone is going to be sucked into that game because of saying that it sucks just to hard,and that person becomes Game Man,Strange story but anyways,if youre a bit formiliar in the dutch languich check this site. www.play-tv.nl at least its fun to watch.

I DON'T LIKE POKEMON Hero of Algol j_factor's Avatar

It's too bad they didn't make a Sega CD version of Final Fight 2. In terms of gameplay it's a good step up from the original IMO.

...um... The japanese X68000 port of Final Fight was supposed to be closest-to-arcade version, back in the days.
    You have the ring... and I see your schwartz is as big as mine...

To be honest... Final Fight reallly isn't anything special in terms of beat-em-ups. I recently played through it via the Capcom Classics Collection a few weekends ago, and it wasn't the game I once thought it to be. Obviously this is all opinion, but it's rather a shallow beat-em-up considering it's development date, and doesn't nearly match its contemporaries like Golden Axe. Mike Haggar is one cool dude, but shit, what a repetitive game.

Wasn't it the first 'new school' beat em up?

double Dragon was first,and even Golden axe was earlier,and Yes the sharp 6800 version was the closest to the arcade,but then the mega cd version is better then the arcade sinds the music is nicer,so the mega cd version stays best because of it expension of good suspension of the oevral game.

Whats going Awwwhhnn!? Death Adder's minion Rammykun's Avatar

I liked it. I was worried that you went going to mention my 2nd faivorite port of Final Fight (Final Fight One on GBA, the Sega CD been the best one IMHO), but you did. You did also mention Final Fight Guy as well, witch has become sort of a Legend now due to it.

none the less, the Sega CD is the clear cut winner here and it shines.

Quote Originally Posted by Mendicant
    ...um... The japanese X68000 port of Final Fight was supposed to be closest-to-arcade version, back in the days.
    Yeah, but not many American console owners had one.

Thread Information