Quantcast

Page 1 of 36 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Crystal Clear Audio Mod for Sega Mega Drive 2 & Genesis 2, version 1.0

Mastering your Systems Hero of Algol TmEE's Avatar

Default Crystal Clear Audio Mod for Sega Mega Drive 2 & Genesis 2, version 1.0

So finally, the mod reached version 1.0 state.

It does all what previous versions did, but at much louder volume
    Output is about as loud as MCD RCA outs, and I'm more than sure its sufficient enough

Only drawback is added complexity, you have many more components now (about 50 or so).

Anyway, if anyone feels like doing one, and runs into issues, be sure to contact me
    Last edited by TmEE; 07-26-2013 at 09:20 AM.
    Death To MP3, :3
    Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa "Gnirts test is a shit" New and growing website of total jawusumness !
    If any of my images in my posts no longer work you can find them in "FileDen Dump" on my site ^

Contra HC super fan! Wildside Expert Afcs46's Avatar

You're a genius man... Maybe next month, you can count with my feedback. But it was easier if you could draw the schematic in a perfboard format.

Congratulations, you're always surprising us...

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice...

Bite my shiny, metal ***! Hero of Algol retrospiel's Avatar

I am impressed as well, and can't wait to hear it in action

Great work, Tiido !
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

Then we set about developing killer games.

- Hayao Nakayama, Mega Drive Collected Works (p. 17)

Creator of the Mega Amp Raging in the Streets Ace's Avatar

Time to build a new Audio Mod circuit!
    HATES ATGAMES WITH A PASSION

Mega Amp: An all-new audio circuit for your Sega Genesis/MegaDrive and clones.

Note: If you want to contact me on Skype, identify yourself or your contact request will be rejected.

Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa "Gnirts test is a shit" New and growing website of total jawusumness !
    If any of my images in my posts no longer work you can find them in "FileDen Dump" on my site ^

Bite my shiny, metal ***! Hero of Algol retrospiel's Avatar

Sounds awesome.
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

Then we set about developing killer games.

- Hayao Nakayama, Mega Drive Collected Works (p. 17)

Holly f_ck!!! This sounds awesome!!! Please post some TFIV musics Now you need to promote this, making some photos of the circuit and making a perfboard layout.

Click for full size

first pic of the proto

I'll do some more recordings in nearer future

Seems like you are building a robot into your MD.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/4/21/1876835/TF4.ogg

some TF4

I'll do a comparsion recording soon too

I'm astonished with that... Definitely this is superb quality sound... Now Im looking for 4558d op-amps. Those doesn't exist in my area...

A little TOO clear for my tastes. Metal Squad doesn't really sound all that great with all the bass removed. When I build this new circuit, I'm adding those ceramic capacitors(the 104 caps) you mentioned to filter the sound(does it attain pre-VA7 Model 1 bass levels with the capacitors added?).

Also, is it just me, or does your MegaDrive II output sound at a lower pitch than my Genesis 2s?

Quote Originally Posted by Afcs46 View Post
    I'm astonished with that... Definitely this is superb quality sound... Now Im looking for 4558d op-amps. Those doesn't exist in my area...
    You could get away with an LM358, but don't take my word for it. I believe any dual op-amp will do the job just fine.

Note: If you want to contact me on Skype, identify yourself or your contact request will be rejected.

the pitch is litttle bit slower since the master clock is slightly higher in NTSC machines.

LM358 will not do at all, it will distort the hell out of the sound... already tried, already know that poor general purpose opamps will not do. The 4558D has 3MHz of bandwidth, and its quite on the edge, so if you look for a opamp, then don't look at anything with less than 3MHz bandwidth.

and its not "Bass removed", its "highs restored".... its all about sound volume, if I do side by side things with volume levels equal, you'd not say more bass, you'd say more highs....

to get "more" bass, use 0.05F...0.1F caps instead of 0.022F. 0.1F would cause extremely muffled sound... but you could actually control the filtering level, just put a pot on one pin of the cap, the more resistance, the less filtering.

Highs restored, you say? Either way, I think Thunder Force IV doesn't sound right with "highs restored."

It's odd you haven't changed your MegaDrive II's master clock. You modded the shit out of it, so why didn't you bother changing the master clock?

And now, you also have me curious: will your new Audio Mod circuit work on the clones with REALLY nasty sound(Gen-X, GN Twin)? It was already established that the PSG levels are MUCH lower than a standard MegaDrive, so provided a certain alteration(need to know where), those clones could potentially have very nice sound.

I have the NTSC master clock there too, but having no reason to use it, its just there....

Thread Information