Quantcast

Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 263233343536

Thread: Crystal Clear Audio Mod for Sega Mega Drive 2 & Genesis 2, version 1.0

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One

Quote Originally Posted by AlmostOriginal View Post
    If i would own the store i would take this very serious and refunded the people who had a problem with theses cables. Why and why should a store owner start arguing over this!?
    He's one of those people who "has to be right" all the time, and unfortunately, so am I (although I did manage to stop arguing with him about it at some point). There's another retro game dealer that has a ginormous section of one of the flea markets here (Sat & Sun only) who's like that, but he's actually correct when he corrects somebody so I'm ok with that part since it's factual information and not something he pulled out of thin air.

I had another interaction with the less knowledgable, arrogant store owner about a week or so ago because I needed an HDMI header to put on a PS4 (customer's HDMI cord apparently ripped the whole port off the board). Since he does PS4 HDMI repairs, I figured he'd have one he could sell me so I wouldn't have to wait on the shipping... well, he argues with me about that, too.

He asks me "What do you need it for?" and I tell him what I'm doing and he refuses to sell me one, stating it's to cover his own ass because if the HDMI port turns out to be a bad manufacturer I can't blame him, etc. Sounded pretty ridiculous to me, especially when we're talking about one solderer to another solderer (as he obviously doesn't understand how any of what he does works, I can't really call him an engineer or even a 'techie' - I mean this is a guy who thinks composite and S-Video are the same thing...)

I'm assuming that the argument he gave me over the HDMI port is because he was butt hurt that I've been doing repairs like this for years and his store didn't get the job from my client... that being said, this is actually the first HDMI port I've ever had to replace for somebody and it was a PITA to get the ground teeth out of the board. I was using my soldering iron which apparently can't get hot enough to melt that solder so I had to use my heat gun on the high setting (which is 1000 degrees, IIRC), lifted the teeth out with ease on that, but there's still solder in those holes and I'm not entirely sure how to proceed at this point. Perhaps I need a hot air station for this type of job? I may be able to get one at an affordable price, but I don't exactly have a lot of space at the moment so I'd prefer not to have to get one yet if it's possible to complete this job without one.

Back on topic, the CCAM board I got from RetroTimeGames is working quite beautifully, and apparently the first board was 100% fine and the problem was the aftermarket AV cables I was using. His boards are professionally manufactured, unlike the old boards that used to be on the site (saw a cached pic on google showing a homemade design). Would be nice if it didn't disable the mono output, but then I probably wouldn't have realized I was using bad cables, so at least some good came of it lol

Did a quick comparison with Mortal Kombat II for 32X:

Configuration 1: Model 1 Genesis + stereo mixing cable + 32x
    Configuration 2: Model 2 Genesis (with CCAM installed) +32x

Systems Used
    Model 1 (High Definition Graphics, TMSS, VA6) with fresh Elna SILMIC II capacitors
    Model 2 (MD2, VA1.8) with fresh Elna SILMIC II capacitors + Crystal Clear Audio Mod (board from retrotimegames.com)
    32x with various replacement caps (combination of SILMIC II, RE, and not sure the other ones but they're peach colored) and S-Video mod.

note: Not sure how 32x handles audio yet, so not sure if or how capacitors may influence audio on that side

Another comparison with Knuckles' Chaotix
    Last edited by GhaleonX; 06-20-2016 at 09:15 PM.
    W E L C O
    M E T O T
    H E N E X
    TL E V E L

Did another video; this time comparing a Model 1 VA7 with a Model 2 VA1.8, since both have the ASIC YM3438 (and I don't have another stock model 2 to compare with at the moment):
    W E L C O
    M E T O T
    H E N E X
    TL E V E L

Sports Talker

Can i mod my Sega cdx with this mod board

Thread Information