Quantcast

Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Crystal Clear Audio Mod for Sega Mega Drive 2 & Genesis 2, version 1.0

Mastering your Systems Shining Hero TmEE's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ace View Post
    It's funny: my VA3 pre-TMSS Genesis 1s both have MORE bass than TmEE's VA4 MegaDrive 1. But my Japanese VA5 MegaDrive also has more bass than that. TmEE, did you use your computer's Line In to record your sound clips?
    Line-in of a Yamaha YMF718 based sound card... no capacitors on inputs so everything gets through.
    more bass would mean more filtering, since presence of high freqs is reduced thus you get impression of louder lower freq area...

Quote Originally Posted by Ace View Post
    I also have a question: how would I go about making the decaying from the YM2612 more audible using the CCAM? On the prototype circuit I built, the decaying of the YM2612 is inaudible, and I would like one of my Genesis 2s to sound exactly like the Genesis 1 using your circuit, and I will also get myself a second VA7 Genesis 1 to apply the circuit to so that I can make it sound like all other Genesis 1s with superb clarity and high bass.
    I'm not exactly getting what you mean by decaying... fade outs ? They will not be as "loud" as they are on MD1, the ASIC YM2612 has greater output resolution and thus there is less quanitzation noise, which makes things sound like they do on MD1, there's nothing to do abuot it, other than putting an address decoder + real YM2612 into MD2, which I'd not do, because of the lower accuracy reasons.
    Death To MP3, :3
    Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa "Gnirts test is a shit" New and growing website of total jawusumness !
    If any of my images in my posts no longer work you can find them in "FileDen Dump" on my site ^

Creator of the Mega Amp Raging in the Streets Ace's Avatar

See, here's the thing: when I had some issues with loose solder connections on the prototype CCAM I built, the fadeouts were as loud as the real YM2612. That's why I was wondering whether changing a part on the circuit would make the fadeouts louder.
    HATES ATGAMES WITH A PASSION

Mega Amp: An all-new audio circuit for your Sega Genesis/MegaDrive and clones.

Note: If you want to contact me on Skype, identify yourself or your contact request will be rejected.

So that came from extra distortion.... just decrease values of the 22K resistors or decrease the 100K resistors... its not healthy for the system, but it gives you the effect you look for.
    Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa "Gnirts test is a shit" New and growing website of total jawusumness !
    If any of my images in my posts no longer work you can find them in "FileDen Dump" on my site ^

Not healthy for the system? In what sense?

Note: If you want to contact me on Skype, identify yourself or your contact request will be rejected.

you're stressing the outputs of the chip and that will cause premature death of the DACs thus no sound other than PSG in the long run.

!

Forget it, then! I'll just stick to high bass.

Maybe you could put a lower value cap inline and reduce the bass somewhat.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

Can someone who's bought the parts from a USA based website give me some links? I've been looking around for almost a week trying to navigate Farnell and DigiKey, and Farnell got me blocked on transistors, and DigiKey I can barely understand...

This thread needs to be made sticky!

Good thread. But it seems that I am pretty happy with the way my X'Eye, Genny HD, and CDX sound already. Is there any other reason why I'd want to go through with a mod like this? Also, those TF4 comparos, I don't recall my Genny 1 or X'Eye (which I think has Genny 2 sound output, not sure) ever sounded that muffled. It seems like the highs sound pretty good really. Did I just happen to fall upon good sounding Segas or is it my speaker setup that's probably helping? (Using a Labtec PC Subwoofer + 2 speaker setup - it actually sounds pretty damn good)

Maybe hearing it in real life makes a huge difference. Hearing it as an OGG probably isn't realistic enough, since you are hearing it through PC audio hardware, and not original hardware.

Bite my shiny, metal ***! Hero of Algol retrospiel's Avatar

This mod is meant to fix the issues of the model 2. A model 1, CDX or X'eye do already sound great to perfect.

And yeah, this thread should be stickied.
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

Then we set about developing killer games.

- Hayao Nakayama, Mega Drive Collected Works (p. 17)

Quote Originally Posted by Christuserloeser View Post
    This mod is meant to fix the issues of the model 2. A model 1, CDX or X'eye do already sound great to perfect.

And yeah, this thread should be stickied.
    I thought Tiido said he was considering a mod for the Model 1 to remove the filtering. (it would also be nice to have a proper stereo amp rather than the relatively poor headphone amp) It wouldn't quite be up to CCAM standard, of course, due to the YM2612's inherent inferiority to SEGA's ASIC implementation.

It seems that a more streamlined mod might be possible for the VA3/4 Model 2 as well, given how clean the sound seems to be when taken directly from the pre-amps. (that's got to be the case with Adam060756's MD2 which so annoys you -lines straight from the pre-amps, no significant modding, maybe I should ask him to post a detailed explanation of what he actually did as it's most definitely not CCAM)
    Last edited by kool kitty89; 06-26-2010 at 12:50 AM.
    6 days older than SEGA Genesis
    -------------
    Quote Originally Posted by evilevoix View Post
    Dude it’s the bios that marries the 16 bit and the 8 bit that makes it 24 bit. If SNK released their double speed bios revision SNK would have had the world’s first 48 bit machine, IDK how you keep ignoring this.
    Quote Originally Posted by evilevoix View Post
    the PCE, that system has no extra silicone for music, how many resources are used to make music and it has less sprites than the MD on screen at once but a larger sprite area?

MD2 VA0/1 have the sound messed up right after first buffering, the preamping later on will do very little extra damage...

And regarding my MD1, it does sound muffled compared to some other MDs I've listened to... and its completely untouched MD1 VA4... seems Sega used components rather blindly... perhaps I should try to mess with some filter caps... the highs should improve a lot though noise/hiss will remain until headphone amp gets tossed out.

Co-Creator of the MegaAmp Raging in the Streets villahed94's Avatar

So, it is possible to keep the bass, while making a better treble in a Gen/MD 1?

probably yes, but I'm not looking into it for now

Thread Information