Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Evander Holyfield's "Real Deal" Boxing

An Elite Member Wildside Expert WoodyXP's Avatar

I enjoyed Holyfield. It was a pleasant surprise after playing the crap that was Buster Douglas.

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

A couple years ago I picked this up, expecting to try it out for 15 minutes, and ended up sucked in for 3 hours. Unfortunately I think the retirement/aging system is kind of demoralizing, and as soon as you max out a stat your opponents become brutally difficult. But the mechanics of the game are still fun.

An Elite Member Wildside Expert WoodyXP's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    A couple years ago I picked this up, expecting to try it out for 15 minutes, and ended up sucked in for 3 hours. Unfortunately I think the retirement/aging system is kind of demoralizing, and as soon as you max out a stat your opponents become brutally difficult. But the mechanics of the game are still fun.
    I thought the aging system was cool. By the time I became Champion I was maxed out and the game was easy, so when my stats began going down-hill the game would become challenging again. I was so good that I could defend my belt to the point where all my stats were almost zero, then I'd get beat and eventually have to retire since I'd fall so far down in the ranks.

The first great 1v1 fighting game for the MD, with some quirks I didn't notice when I was a kid.

First of all, the smooth movement of the background when the camera moves. You see, guys, I bought a SNES last Wednesday and today, after getting a RGB SCART cable, to try it, I've bought Super Tennis with its nice Mode 7 effects and all that jazz... Well, after playing Evander Holyfield, I must say our MD also did some sweet scaling and rotating effects without so much ado and publicity, and this game proves it.

Then, the difficulty. Even being a cheater and playing as The Beast, any fight won in this game causes a wonderful sense of accomplishment on yours truly. My first rival got up four times until I KO-ed him (I know. i'm a poor, poor player).

And finally, there's that weird option that resets the game. A funny detail.

Keep bringing 'em on!
    Last edited by bigladiesman; 06-03-2017 at 09:27 PM.

The Gaming Gangsta Master of Shinobi profholt82's Avatar

Great boxing game, but Sega Sports kept the formula and perfected it with their next outing 'Greatest Heavyweights.' If you like this one, I suggest checking that one out because it's even better.

Quote Originally Posted by profholt82 View Post
    Great boxing game, but Sega Sports kept the formula and perfected it with their next outing 'Greatest Heavyweights.' If you like this one, I suggest checking that one out because it's even better.
    Sure. I never got to play it back then, but now, with flashcards...

Man in Black Master of Shinobi IrishNinja's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WoodyXP View Post
    I enjoyed Holyfield. It was a pleasant surprise after playing the crap that was Buster Douglas.
    exactly this - as a boxing fan, i think it was the first boxing game i really enjoyed. huge, huge step up from Buster Douglas...and THE BEAST was awesome!

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert OmegaMax's Avatar

Wasn't Buster Douglas boxing Final Blow?

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by OmegaMax View Post
    Wasn't Buster Douglas boxing Final Blow?
    yes it was

Toejam is a wiener. Master of Shinobi SEGA-Jorge's Avatar

Evander Holyfield's Real Deal Boxing was amazing for it's time. It really was, and still is, an enjoyable game to play. The aging system was really interesting. I always try to explain to my non-Genesis owning/boxing enthusiast friends that this aspect was kinda groundbreaking. This game, in the early 90's, showed the boxer's dilemma in regards to retiring. You always think you got 1 good fight left in you. You don't want to go out on a loss, you aren't slowing down, you were just off that night. This game was really something else.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert OmegaMax's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SEGA-Jorge View Post
    Evander Holyfield's Real Deal Boxing was amazing for it's time. It really was, and still is, an enjoyable game to play. The aging system was really interesting. I always try to explain to my non-Genesis owning/boxing enthusiast friends that this aspect was kinda groundbreaking. This game, in the early 90's, showed the boxer's dilemma in regards to retiring. You always think you got 1 good fight left in you. You don't want to go out on a loss, you aren't slowing down, you were just off that night. This game was really something else.
    Agreed,still playable today.

Bring on the noise! WCPO Agent Bones Justice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bigladiesman View Post
    The first great 1v1 fighting game for the MD
    Absolutely. I didn't spend much time on the single-player game but we played it a ton in versus mode.
    Slayer-1: "Minus 210 degrees...minus 215...minus 220. Why are you still standing?"

Bones: "My will...will not die."

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ-iQfP3mFs

Japanese Sonic CD FTW!!! Master of Shinobi Ecco's Avatar

Thumbs up

I think this is my favorite "fighting" game. It occurred to me one day, that boxing games are probably more realistic than the actual "fighting" / "fighter" games (which tend to be a bit ridiculous, like SFII and MK, lol).

So yeah, I think this is my favorite realistic fighting game. The next game is unlikeable with all its many voices IMO, it's overboard. This here is bare-bones fighting. With great graphics, controls, background warping, etc.

The detail that REALLY made me love this game is that if you focus on hitting the opponent's head... It's not really helpful to WIN the match, but if you keep punching his head, he will start to spit blood when you hit him, and his face starts to show bloody damage on it.

I didn't think that games of the era did any of this (showing damage on the opponents' face), so this was kinda amazing to realize.
    Last edited by Ecco; 02-02-2019 at 12:42 PM.

There are two releases of this game on Sega Genesis in the US.

1. Made in Japan on back of case and on cart. Cart label has a number on it.
    2. Made in U.S.A. on back of case and Assembled in USA on cart. Cart label has no number on it.

Full gallery here: https://imgur.com/gallery/dnO0ubO
    And YES I know I made a typo (it happens to me all the time, I cannot type that name out ever it seems!
    Sega Genesis Master Set Collector
    https://vgcollect.com/Tripredacus/gen

Thread Information