Quantcast

Page 1 of 140 123451151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask general Genesis/MD/Sega CD/32X questions here (for new members)

Default Ask general 32X questions here! (for new posters who can't start a new thread)

If you just signed up and have a tech problem, ask it here. Someone will be happy to help you as soon as they can!

Default Ask general Genesis/MD/Sega CD/32X questions here (for new members)

Ask your tech question here and someone will be happy to help as soon as they can.

YM3438 Master! ESWAT Veteran evildragon's Avatar

I'll be glad to volunteer my services to help answer them.. SegaCD is my specialty (model 2's that is, all versions of the model 2's)...

(Soon i'll be an expert on the model 1, once it arrives in the mail, i'll examine the system and learn how that model functions too)
    Last edited by evildragon; 03-13-2007 at 11:37 AM.

While the 32X isn't my specialty exactly, I'll also volunteer my services here too...

I do know about some things on the 32X that others don't know about (though some do, like the PWM channels are mixed in the Genesis, and not the 32X like some think)..

Thoto

My Sega CD Model 2's power light is no longer coming on. I've got it hooked up and everything, connected to a Genesis Model 2 (Which is connected to a 32X). I put a CD in and start it up with no cartridges in the 32X, but nothing happens. I dont know if it got messed up when I moved (which seems unlikely to me since my 32X is still working), or if my AC Adaptor is screwed. Any help is appreciated.

Also, this isnt the right place for this, but my Genesis Model 2 powers off if the ac adaptor is disturbed. Meaning, if the plug (connected to the genesis, not the wall) is touched, the genesis will turn off, and wont turn back on until I fiddle with it for abit. My nomad did the same thing and I read a guide on how to solder it back in place, and it works fine now, however I dont know how to do it on a Genesis, and I've also forgotten how I did it on my Nomad, so if anyone has a guide to that, it would also be appreciated.

For the first question, the Sega CD Model 2 does not have a power light, but only an "Access" light.. The fuse in your Sega CD is probably blown.

For the second question, the DC jack has a cold solder joint it seems.

Thoto

Quote Originally Posted by evildragon
    For the first question, the Sega CD Model 2 does not have a power light, but only an "Access" light.. The fuse in your Sega CD is probably blown.

For the second question, the DC jack has a cold solder joint it seems.
    Any idea how to fix either?

Quote Originally Posted by Thoto
    Any idea how to fix either?
    Both fixes require the knowledge to use a soldering iron.

On the first one, here's a link to fixing the Sega CD fuse (if you have the older version of the model 2..)
    http://www.penguinwired.org/?page_id=3

As for the second question, you'll need to use a soldering iron to re-flow the solder on the solder pads that the DC jack connect to.

Thoto

Quote Originally Posted by evildragon
    Both fixes require the knowledge to use a soldering iron.

On the first one, here's a link to fixing the Sega CD fuse (if you have the older version of the model 2..)
    http://www.penguinwired.org/?page_id=3

As for the second question, you'll need to use a soldering iron to re-flow the solder on the solder pads that the DC jack connect to.
    Thats def the problem, as I can hear audio from genesis games from the back ports of the sega CD unit, as described in the guide. Where would I go about getting a replacement fuse?

You got a picture on the genesis? I'm pretty handy with a soldering iron so I'm pretty confident that I could do it.
    Last edited by Thoto; 03-05-2007 at 10:06 PM.

don't know what you mean by a picture on my Genesis, but my Genesis always works (i take it apart every month to service it and/or mod it)

Thoto

By that I meant a picture with...Guidelines, I guess you could call them. Basically showing me where to solder.

Quote Originally Posted by Thoto
    By that I meant a picture with...Guidelines, I guess you could call them. Basically showing me where to solder.
    just find the DC jack.. there is multiple versions of the Genesis 2.. some are wired, some are directly soldered...

I have a top loading Sega CD and the plastic disc on the inside of the lid has broken off. Is it possible to fix this?

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Allen
    I have a top loading Sega CD and the plastic disc on the inside of the lid has broken off. Is it possible to fix this?
    That part contains a small magnet, and uses the clamp, to hold the disc onto the platter.

It is possible to fix, if you can find a matching piece (not THAT hard, but has to be close enough to like the spindle of the laser assembly. Some older Sony CD players, like the old CFD-440 boomboxes, MIGHT actually work (the laser assembly is actually the same assembly used on the Sega CD, on the newer model 2's (black spindle, vs, the silver spindle)...

If you can't find this, you can use scotch tape as a temporary fix. Put the CD in you want to play, and scotch tape it to the spindle.. Be careful not to put the tape on the print, only on the clear part of the CD, as when removing the tape, it "might" take a pit of the print with it, which contains the foil that reflects the data...

thanks!

Thread Information