Quantcast

Page 101 of 130 FirstFirst ... 5191979899100101102103104105111 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,515 of 1947

Thread: GUIDE: Telling apart good Genesis 1s and Genesis 2s from bad ones.

urusei yatsura Master of Shinobi lumclaw's Avatar

If you must use composite buy a 32X. Preferably with external comb filter. But chances are together they'd cost more money than a component converter box.

In practice there is no such thing as best stock composite from a Genesis. It sucks.

Outrunner

Question, this guide states that there is a VA3 PAL Megadrive... Has anyone actually seen one? As far as I know, VA4 was the first PAL model.

Quote Originally Posted by BetaWolf47 View Post
    Tried an A/V cable on both of my model 1's, and the video output was great. Very minimal rainbow artifacting. I still may try recapping my systems and seeing if that further improves the output. Unsure what I can do to fix my model 2's though. Standing by the ASIC being the problem with video on most model 2's than the encoder.
    That's not going to do anything but waste your time. Sorry to be blunt, but try a 32X or use something other than composite like RGB. Caps are not the problem there, it's the chip and circuitary and sometimes it's TV dependent. If you want to mod it, fine... But it's no longer stock composite at that point and looking for another Genesis in hopes of finding such a system is just waste of time and money. Replacing caps won't solve your problem.
    Last edited by Chibisteven; 05-13-2013 at 12:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zyrobs View Post
    Question, this guide states that there is a VA3 PAL Megadrive... Has anyone actually seen one? As far as I know, VA4 was the first PAL model.
    Some PAL countries released the Mega Drive later than others. Some countries I think didn't even get the model 1 Mega CD. Unlike the model 2 Mega Drive which almost was released everywhere at the same time. The model 1's where released more slowly.

Outrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Chibisteven View Post
    Some PAL countries released the Mega Drive later than others. Some countries I think didn't even get the model 1 Mega CD. Unlike the model 2 Mega Drive which almost was released everywhere at the same time. The model 1's where released more slowly.
    Well duh, but distributing does not equal manufacturing. My point is that they were already up to making VA4 units by the time the first PAL units came around, and all the disassembled PAL units I've seen were VA4 and no earlier. So I find it unlikely that earlier board types, like VA3, were even made in PAL flavour. But not impossible, so I'd like to see them confirmed, if they indeed do exist (shit I'd even buy one if someone has one for sale).

Quote Originally Posted by zyrobs View Post
    Well duh, but distributing does not equal manufacturing. My point is that they were already up to making VA4 units by the time the first PAL units came around, and all the disassembled PAL units I've seen were VA4 and no earlier. So I find it unlikely that earlier board types, like VA3, were even made in PAL flavour. But not impossible, so I'd like to see them confirmed, if they indeed do exist (shit I'd even buy one if someone has one for sale).
    They exist. I don't collect international units, but they most likely exist, their rare. You can ask Ace or Tiido (TmEE) on this. Depends, PAL is a TV standard, not a region. Be helpful if you're talking about a specific Europeon country or Austrullia.

Road Rasher

That's not going to do anything but waste your time. Sorry to be blunt, but try a 32X or use something other than composite like RGB. Caps are not the problem there, it's the chip and circuitary and sometimes it's TV dependent. If you want to mod it, fine... But it's no longer stock composite at that point and looking for another Genesis in hopes of finding such a system is just waste of time and money. Replacing caps won't solve your problem.
    I didn't say mod... I said recap. Still stock composite if you replace bad capacitors with capacitors that have identical capacitance ratings. But either way, based on what you say, I'm probably done with model 2's. I like the appearance and style of them, but after 4 or 5 stinkers, I give up. Good thing I have two VA6 model 1's.

No. You should be done with composite video instead.

Much better approach to avoid the problem entirely, than try to work with something known bad.

Outrunner

They exist. I don't collect international units, but they most likely exist, their rare. You can ask Ace or Tiido (TmEE) on this. Depends, PAL is a TV standard, not a region. Be helpful if you're talking about a specific Europeon country or Austrullia.
    I'm not talking about specific countries. They didn't manufacture country specific Megadrives beyond the serial stickers and boxes/manuals. PAL Megadrives have hardware inside designed to be used for PAL standard televisions, be it Spain, UK, Australia or Hong Kong. The boards have big IC BD M5 PAL marks on them. I've never seen any that were VA3 however, thus I'm asking if anyone has pictures or other proof of such units existing, and not just speculation.

Is there an echo in here?

Unsure what I can do to fix my model 2's though. Standing by the ASIC being the problem with video on most model 2's than the encoder.
    You can install a 2-pin 4.43 mhz oscillator together with 22pF ceramic cap in parallel to your CXA1145-equipped Model 2 VA3. I myself did that, and rainbow artifacting is GONE. Absolutely. Also video became a bit brighter. Pixellation also became less noticeable. The other problem ( excessive color saturation ) is still there, however. This thing saddens me greatly, especially if all other things are much better now after this small adjustment.

Consoles:
    1. Sega Genesis II VA2.3 Malaysia
    Video - SKA2195 ( No jailbars oO )
    2. Sega Genesis II VA3 China x5.
    Video - Sony CXA1145, 1645.
    3. Sega Genesis II VA3 Japan x4.
    Video - Sony CXA1645.
    4. Sega Genesis II VA3 Thailand.
    Video - SKA2195.
    5. Sega CDX + Infrared Controllers.
    6. Sega Nomad boxed.
    5. Sega Saturn Launch Edition Boxed - ( USA ) - Made in Japan.
    6. Sega Dreamcast Boxed - ( USA ) - Made in Japan.

Road Rasher

Response to lumclaw and DemVil12: I've got kind of a purist approach when it comes to video games. The only time I will tamper with the circuits is if the system is behaving differently from how it was manufactured. I don't mod, overclock, or use alternate video sources. I'll just deal with the problems, such as the fringing in model 1 VA6's, unless that can be fixed by a recap. All I'm asking is whether those issues were caused by component deterioration, or if that's an inherent problem with those revisions. If such is the case, then I'll just move onto something that produces a known good signal :P

No need to tamper or use alternate sources. Genesis outputs RGB from the factory.

Response to lumclaw and DemVil12: I've got kind of a purist approach when it comes to video games. The only time I will tamper with the circuits is if the system is behaving differently from how it was manufactured. I don't mod, overclock, or use alternate video sources. I'll just deal with the problems, such as the fringing in model 1 VA6's, unless that can be fixed by a recap. All I'm asking is whether those issues were caused by component deterioration, or if that's an inherent problem with those revisions. If such is the case, then I'll just move onto something that produces a known good signal :P
    A 32X is not a mod. It attaches to the top of the system and uses simple cables. No modding required.

Second, RGB comes from the Genesis from the factory. No modding required.

Third, good luck. With the Genesis I pay attention to how the stock audio is. No modding required.

I don't like to mod my systems, either. It is what it is.

Well mods are supposed to be kept modest and practical. Like a switch having obvious usability conveniences over setting up a whole Genesis of each region.

Long time reader 1st time poster. I was hoping if it was possible to ID my Genesis via JUST the box. I have 6 brand new Sega Genesis's still in the manufacturer's store shipping box. The code on the box is MK-1630S-22 and it says made in china. I know the console in a model 2 core package. Thanks for any info that could be provided. I do not want to open any of the consoles as they are all brand new.

Thread Information