Quantcast

Page 3 of 130 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast

Thread: GUIDE: Telling apart good Genesis 1s and Genesis 2s from bad ones.

Thanks for the guide, Ace!

I figured out mine is most likely a VA2 Genesis 2. Its a full motherboard and the wire holes are blue. Also, I did notice that the FM sounds were louder than the others, but I did not notice anything out of tune in the sound department (I played the System of a Master VGM's on the console and they sounded 99% the same as the mp3 files).

Hooray!!! My Genesis is not (likely) the "worst sounding" model! (and I do not have to take apart the thing to get the Cristal Clear mod, though it isn't compatable anyway)

Edit: This might be a false alarm. I confused the blue wire with the blue holes that the wires go through. I will post a picture and a couple of MP3's to verify my model.

Final Edit: It is not a VA2, its a "<VA2". (See my third post for more info)
    Last edited by sasuke; 07-08-2009 at 04:55 PM.

Creator of the Mega Amp Raging in the Streets Ace's Avatar

Try playing a game like After Burner or R-Type on the VA2 Genesis 2. Then you'll hear some REALLY out of tune PSG(After Burner's sound effects overpower the music, sound strains in R-Type).
    HATES ATGAMES WITH A PASSION

Mega Amp: An all-new audio circuit for your Sega Genesis/MegaDrive and clones.

Note: If you want to contact me on Skype, identify yourself or your contact request will be rejected.

A Light In The Building. Master of Shinobi

How many VAs were made for the Nomad? How does its sound and video quality compare to the other Mega Drive/Genesis models?

j_factor dislikes name! Master of Shinobi Flygon's Avatar

Never mind, got some confirmation from Tiido and it turns out every European VA0 has a Fujitsu encoder chip, have some pretty pictures.

Last edited by Flygon; 07-06-2009 at 06:01 AM.

Board pictures are nice, but what about taking a clear picture of the console with the cartridge slot held open?

Note: If you want to contact me on Skype, identify yourself or your contact request will be rejected.

j_factor dislikes name! Master of Shinobi Flygon's Avatar

Trust me, it isn't worth it, my DSi's camera is too crap. Plus the post was originally asking how the heck I had a VA0 with a Fujitsu chip in it.

It's the most common video encoder inside the European MegaDrive II. North America is FLOODED with Genesis 2s containing the Samsung KA2195D, while most of Europe's MegaDrive IIs contain the Fujitsu MB3514.

By the way, where is your mother's MegaDrive II made?

Quote Originally Posted by chessage View Post
    How many VAs were made for the Nomad? How does its sound and video quality compare to the other Mega Drive/Genesis models?
    This thread was mainly intended for the Genesis Model 1 and 2, but I believe the Nomad has much cleaner sound than the VA7 Model 1 and VA0-VA1.8 Model 2s. How much cleaner? I don't know.

There should only be one type of Nomad, as not many were produced. I bet Sega made only like a run or two of Nomads and that was it. They barely promoted it either.

Quote Originally Posted by Aarzak View Post
    There should only be one type of Nomad, as not many were produced. I bet Sega made only like a run or two of Nomads and that was it. They barely promoted it either.
    I think the Nomad only sold about 1 million units right?
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!
    Quote Originally Posted by llj View Post
    Count me as someone who never liked the Turbo/Hyper Fighting iterations of Street Fighter 2. The speed ups always struck me as too "Benny Hill".

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

I'm not sure.......considering it was released in the Fall of 1995, when the PS1 & Saturn were getting the lion's share of attention, and with nothing of interest apart from Madden, MK3 & Vectorman happening on the Genesis, it went mostly ignored. Plus it was quite expensive ($179), considering the Genesis was down to $99 by that point. People must've gotten wind of the battery life too.

A Light In The Building. Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Ace View Post
    This thread was mainly intended for the Genesis Model 1 and 2, but I believe the Nomad has much cleaner sound than the VA7 Model 1 and VA0-VA1.8 Model 2s. How much cleaner? I don't know.
    Why not cover the Nomad and Genesis 3 as well? If you're going to cover the majority of Mega Drive/Genesis models, you may as well cover them all.

From a previous discussion Ace mentioned that the Genesis 3 is practically identical in a/v quality to the VA-4 Model 2 (crisp, bright composite video and clean sound) except that it has only mono audio output (on both the left stereo pin and mono pins for compatibility with both a/v cables)
    I beleive it's compatible with all Genesis games except Virtua Racing (missing cart slot connections), and all non-region locked Mega Drive games (cart slot fits JP carts unmodified as well). It also won't work with the Sega CD (no connector), 32x, and Power Base Converter. (the latter 2 due to missing cart slot connections, like with Virtua racing)

To answer simply: for one, I don't have a Nomad(but I want one... BADLY), and for two, it's pointless to show the Genesis 3 because the 2 motherboard revisions, VA1 and VA2, are identical in terms of sound/video quality.

Mastering your Systems Shining Hero TmEE's Avatar

When it comes to sound, Nomad is about as good as TMSS MD1, if you mod it a little, it goes around to no TMSS MD1, and if more, it goes to CCAM MD2 level.
    Death To MP3, :3
    Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa "Gnirts test is a shit" New and growing website of total jawusumness !
    If any of my images in my posts no longer work you can find them in "FileDen Dump" on my site ^

Thread Information