Quantcast

Page 4 of 133 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast

Thread: GUIDE: Telling apart good Genesis 1s and Genesis 2s from bad ones.

It's called a Mega Drive Master of Shinobi Devil N's Avatar

So how does it work for European PAL Megadrives? I'm currently in the market for a non-TMSS MD1, with high-quality audio circuitry, but of course I need to know what to specifically look for. We don't have FCC codes to use as an indication (as far as I know), and the timeline of PAL motherboard revisions is slightly different as well. The best I can find so far is that it at least needs to have the HDG and 'Stereo Sound' markers, but surely there's more to it than that?

Creator of the Mega Amp Raging in the Streets Ace's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TmEE View Post
    When it comes to sound, Nomad is about as good as TMSS MD1, if you mod it a little, it goes around to no TMSS MD1, and if more, it goes to CCAM MD2 level.
    TMSS with VA6 or VA7 motherboard revision?

So how does it work for European PAL Megadrives? I'm currently in the market for a non-TMSS MD1, with high-quality audio circuitry, but of course I need to know what to specifically look for. We don't have FCC codes to use as an indication (as far as I know), and the timeline of PAL motherboard revisions is slightly different as well. The best I can find so far is that it at least needs to have the HDG and 'Stereo Sound' markers, but surely there's more to it than that?
    Being as I don't have any European MegaDrives at hand, I have absolutely no idea how you'd go about finding a pre-TMSS European MegaDrive Model 1. But I'm pretty sure the "High Definition Graphics - Stereo Sound" writing on the ring of power should provide some help. Not sure if there were any TMSS models of the European MegaDrive Model 1 with "High Definition Graphics - Stereo Sound" written on them.

Now, I want a European MegaDrive... damn you!
    HATES ATGAMES WITH A PASSION

Mega Amp: An all-new audio circuit for your Sega Genesis/MegaDrive and clones.

Note: If you want to contact me on Skype, identify yourself or your contact request will be rejected.

Mastering your Systems Shining Hero TmEE's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ace View Post
    TMSS with VA6 or VA7 motherboard revision?
    VA5/VA6

if I mention VA7, I say MD2 in MD1 shell, lol
    Death To MP3, :3
    Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa "Gnirts test is a shit" New and growing website of total jawusumness !
    If any of my images in my posts no longer work you can find them in "FileDen Dump" on my site ^

I might be wrong about mine being a V2. Here's a link to both the best picture I could take from my mediocre camera and the MP3 files from recording the SEGA CD Startup and some Sonic 1 music.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/iqy5q2odz3y/inside cartridge.JPG

http://www.mediafire.com/file/nzrdi31jlbw/MD2 Sounds.zip

Holy crap, I am lucky. VA3/4 Genesis 2, made in China so if it's a VA3 it has the CXA1645. YES. That explains why composite looks surprisingly good on it.

But my brother isn't so lucky. His non-HD Genesis 1 is a VA7. Sucks for him.
    However this leads me to a question: His system emits a loud buzzing behind all the audio, and I am pretty sure it is not the hissing that is mentioned in the VA7 section because it is crazy loud and there is no way they could have sold them with such a problem. Is it just because of his 3rd party power supply that we have yet to replace (supplied by the store we bought this off, pretty sure it is a "3 in one NES/SNES/Genesis" third party adapter that they sell) that seems to be only giving 850ma instead of 1.2A (resulting in not enough power to the 2612) or is the VA7 audio circuit really that horrible?

Mastering your Systems Shining Hero TmEE's Avatar

that buzzing is more related to weak power supply and/or dying capacitors.
    Death To MP3, :3
    Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa "Gnirts test is a shit" New and growing website of total jawusumness !
    If any of my images in my posts no longer work you can find them in "FileDen Dump" on my site ^

It's called a Mega Drive Master of Shinobi Devil N's Avatar

Now, I want a European MegaDrive... damn you!
    You're welcome.

Mr. Ksoft, those 3-in-1 power supply are absolute GARBAGE! I saw one used on a Super NES, and it caused bands of inverted colors to scroll up and down the screen. One of those power supplies even caused a second pre-TMSS Genesis Model 1 I had to emit a VERY LOUD buzzing sound and show black/white lines all over the screen. First thing's first: trash that power supply and get an official Sega power supply.

I'd like to know something: what type of A/V setup does he have? It could be either:

-RF box
    -A/V cables with Mono audio from the DIN plug at the back
    -A/V cables with Stereo audio from the headphone jack

The headphone jack has a buzzing sound in the background, but it's so faint, you can only hear it when no sound's playing.

@Sasuke: That picture is WAY too blurred to make out anything. But the sound gives it away: loud PSG, flat/muffled/low-quality sound, hissing noise in the background. That's definitely a VA0, VA1 or VA1.8 motherboard you have.

Note: If you want to contact me on Skype, identify yourself or your contact request will be rejected.

A Light In The Building. Master of Shinobi

On the topic of power supplies:

Why does the MK-2103 power supply fit so poorly into model 2 MD/G systems? On EVERY model 2 I've used, it's very loose and cuts the power when the system is so much as tapped lightly. Is there a good alternative to the MK-2103?

That's because the power jack inside the console is coming loose. I've had to resolder the power jack on BOTH my VA2s and on my VA4 because the damn things were so loose. It's not the power supply, it's the plug inside the console. You have to open your Genesis and re-flow the solder on the power jack.

A Light In The Building. Master of Shinobi

That's because the power jack inside the console is coming loose. I've had to resolder the power jack on BOTH my VA2s and on my VA4 because the damn things were so loose. It's not the power supply, it's the plug inside the console. You have to open your Genesis and re-flow the solder on the power jack.
    I'll do that. It must be a manufacturing flaw as this has been a problem with every model 2 I've used.

j_factor dislikes name! Master of Shinobi Flygon's Avatar

By the way, where is your mother's MegaDrive II made?
    Missed this question COMPLETELY. China.

WTF? Every Genesis 2 I find here that's made in China uses a KA2195D video encoder!!

I'd like a report from someone who owns a "Made in Thailand" Genesis 2. What video encoder do those Genesis 2s use(I presume it's the KA2195D like the "Made in Taiwan," some "Made in Japan" and the "Made in China" VA0-VA1.8 Genesis 2s)?

j_factor dislikes name! Master of Shinobi Flygon's Avatar

One of my VA1 MD1's has a 'Made in Thailand' sticker on it.

It uses the Fujitsu encoder.

I don't think I can really rely so much on that, seeing as you have a European MegaDrive II, and as previously demonstrated, "Made in China"=MB3514 in Europe, while in North America, that equals KA2195D. Still, the console's only 20 bucks, so what the heck. I just might pick it up.

I guess the only way I'll ever get good video out of those VA0-VA1.8 Genesis 2s is to import a European MegaDrive II, change the Master Clock, and make the console function in NTSC.

Thread Information