Quantcast

Page 5 of 130 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast

Thread: GUIDE: Telling apart good Genesis 1s and Genesis 2s from bad ones.

Thanks for the help, Ace.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace View Post
    @Sasuke: That picture is WAY too blurred to make out anything.
    Yeah I know. That POS camera could not get any clear pictures of the thing at all, no matter how hard I tried. I chose this because it is the least blurry and it is the only picture where the wires of the PCB is visible.

But the sound gives it away: loud PSG, flat/muffled/low-quality sound, hissing noise in the background. That's definitely a VA0, VA1 or VA1.8 motherboard you have.
    So it is an earlier model. I am not going to take it apart to find the exact model, but I'm guessing 1.8 because the picture on Wikipedia also has blue holes. Like I said on my edit, I misread "blue wire" as "blue holes" and got overexcited . I might try the Crystal Clear mod someday, though.

(Also, the sound actually sound better with a little extra bass from the amplifier I usually plug it into. I also think I would compare this to the Model 1 as an 8 year old cassette compared to a CD. The CD is clearest, and the cassette sounds similar except hissy and worn out. Just my 2 cents.)

My original Genesis I had as a kid is the VA7. I got it in the middle of the genesis life and it was bundled with Sonic.
    -Rick "Only fools oppose the almighty Megatron"

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...light=foxhound

Creator of the Mega Amp Raging in the Streets Ace's Avatar

Oh, wow, that reminds me: my very first Genesis was also a VA7 Model 1(still have it - it's not the dead VA7 shown on the first post). Strangely, it wasn't until I heard about how nasty those things sound that I heard the hissing noise in the sound output.
    HATES ATGAMES WITH A PASSION

Mega Amp: An all-new audio circuit for your Sega Genesis/MegaDrive and clones.

Note: If you want to contact me on Skype, identify yourself or your contact request will be rejected.

Champion of the Mascots TonyTheTiger's Avatar

So other than the fact that VA0-VA4 differs from VA5/VA6 which also differs from a VA7, what are the fundamental differences between VA0, VA1, VA2, VA3, and VA4 from each other? Likewise, how do VA5 and VA6 differ?

Mastering your Systems Shining Hero TmEE's Avatar

VA5/VA6 MD1 has the difference in one chip... VA5 have no TMSS in JP language setting, but they do with EN language setting...
    VA5 are very uncommon.
    Death To MP3, :3
    Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa "Gnirts test is a shit" New and growing website of total jawusumness !
    If any of my images in my posts no longer work you can find them in "FileDen Dump" on my site ^

Been a while since the last post, but I happen to discover that my Japanese MegaDrive contains a VA5 motherboard(lack of TMSS(based on what TmEE said) and wires on the motherboard were dead giveaway). It's funny how the region jumpers can enable/disable TMSS, as I've never heard of a MegaDrive motherboard revision that does such a thing. I guess we can call the VA5 MegaDrive Model 1 the "hybrid TMSS" model, as it only enables TMSS when the region is set to US. And there is a way to recognize those Japanese "hybrid TMSS" MegaDrives:

-Contains "AV Intelligent Terminal - High Grade Multipurpose Use" writing
    -Sega logo has no symbol

From a video I saw on YouTube, a region-switched MegaDrive Model 1 I saw had no "AV Intelligent Terminal - High Grade Multipurpose Use" writing on it and had TMSS enabled at all times. For sure, that was a VA6 MegaDrive 1.

Note: If you want to contact me on Skype, identify yourself or your contact request will be rejected.

So i bought a New HDG model 1 genesis with a TMSS message BUT, there is not a VA number on it anywhere can anyone help me out? Super low rez pic:

Formerly known as 5233 Master of Shinobi Jeckidy's Avatar

Does it effect modifications depending on what motherboard you have? Can I still get S-Video, Composite, and Dual Channel Audio mods without any problems? I have a Japanese MD1 without the TMSS and I'm not sure what version it is, but I'm going to have someone mod it and need to know. Thanks.

Getting S-vid off MD1 is no brainer, since all of them can have it... things get trickier when it comes to MD2s. Other things are no more or less hassle to work out.
    Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa "Gnirts test is a shit" New and growing website of total jawusumness !
    If any of my images in my posts no longer work you can find them in "FileDen Dump" on my site ^

@jollie: move the purple wire near the right side of the board over. You will see 2 chip numbers(315-5402, 315-5433) followed by their respective motherboard revisions(315-5402=VA5, 315-5433=VA6). The chip right above that writing will let you know whether you have a VA5 or VA6 Genesis 1.

The VA5 is quite rare unit, and it indeed will not show TMSS when language is set to Japan.

Bite my shiny, metal ***! Hero of Algol retrospiel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 5233 View Post
    Dual Channel Audio mods
    ??? - I don't really know what you mean, but maybe you're referring to some kind of a stereo mod (as would be required to get stereo from a model 3 Genesis) ?

Since you own a model 1 Mega Drive you'll get Stereo from the headphones jack. No need for a mod.

If you're referring to 'CCAM' (Crystal Clear Audio Mod) than that would be possible only if your Mega Drive is one of the Japanese equivalents of a VA-7 Genesis (basically a model 2 in a model 1 shell), but otherwise unnecessary anyway as the VA-1 to VA-6 model 1s are known to have good to perfect sound out of the box.

That said, we don't have sufficient data in regards to Japanese Mega Drive hardware variants in general (recordings, photos of the motherboards).

Quote Originally Posted by jollie View Post
    So i bought a New HDG model 1 genesis
    Congrats!
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

Then we set about developing killer games.

- Hayao Nakayama, Mega Drive Collected Works (p. 17)

Death Adder's minion Azure Phoenix's Avatar

Apologies for bringing this topic up from page 5, but something this useful shouldn't really be left to die and I have got a couple of questions. First of all, is the 3/4 motherboard Megadrive 2 known to have been available in Europe? I've had multiple systems over the years and never actually seen one of these, and I would like to pick one up to replace my nasty sounding V0-V2 system.

Also could anyone tell me what version my asian Megadrive 1 system is? It's equipped with the EXT port, has "AV Intelligent Terminal - High Grade Multipurpose Use" in letters on the black ring, no wires leading to the cartridge slot and seems to have a Sony video chip (if the video chip is the one located on the bottom left corner of the motherboard, otherwise I have no idea). I think it also has TMSS as it shows the "Produced by or under licence from Sega" screen, although it isn't modified so I can't say if it displays that when used in anything other than PAL 50 mode. It's also gives off a very blurry and noisy image running through RF with lots of colour bleeding, the sound is fine though.

Raging in the Streets mrbigreddog's Avatar

Damn... I got the shitty model.. It got my genesis brands new, but a little late in the game. Is there really that big of a difference?! I mean the HD one obviously isn't HD. And it kinda hard to tell the pics of the video out puts on the 1st post. Was it really that much better?! Audio wise I definately understand. And I knew there was something shittier about the video compared to the Genesis Model 2. My friend had one and there were these vertical lines when he was playing his Model 2. And then I KNEW I wanted a Model 1 Gen for sure. And got a model 2 Sega CD. (couldn't find a model 1)

Quote Originally Posted by Azure Phoenix View Post
    Apologies for bringing this topic up from page 5, but something this useful shouldn't really be left to die and I have got a couple of questions.
    I agree! Make it a sticky!

Bite my shiny, metal ***! Hero of Algol retrospiel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mrbigreddog View Post
    Is there really that big of a difference?!
    Yes and no. - From my experience the non-HD model 1s still are better than any model 2 I ever tested. Still, the difference is incredible even between a HDG model 1 and non-HDG model 1 and I certainly would try to track down an HDG model (or have my non-HDG model 1 or model 2 modded by TmEE: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showpos...1&postcount=20 )

Quote Originally Posted by mrbigreddog View Post
    I agree! Make it a sticky!
    Agreed. There's no logical explanation why it isn't stickied already.
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

Then we set about developing killer games.

- Hayao Nakayama, Mega Drive Collected Works (p. 17)

Thread Information