Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20

Thread: History of: The Golden Axe Series

  1. #1
    Blast processor Melf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Cabo Rojo, PR
    Posts
    9,479
    Rep Power
    130

    Default History of: The Golden Axe Series

    Legendary. Classic. Timeless. These are only a few of the adjectives one could use to describe the Golden Axe franchise, which has been sorely abandoned for the last few years. Back in 1989, any arcade worth its salt had a Golden Axe unit prominently displayed. Gamers went wild for it and Sega had yet another hit to add to its repertoire of classics. Read our full feature on the series, and see what games are worth checking out.
    Last edited by Melf; 11-09-2011 at 12:33 PM.

  2. #2
    Master of Shinobi
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Essex, England
    Age
    36
    Posts
    1,057
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    After its rampant success on Sega's 16-bit darling, the original Golden Axe was ported to the Sega Master System.
    I'm fairly certain that the Master System version of Golden Axe came out before the Mega Drive version, by a few months.

    Master System fans were gasping for just about anything at this point and it was nice of Sega to remember them.
    This was 1989 so no, Master Sytem fans were not gasping for just about anything, they were enjoying the lead up to some of the best years of it's life.

    It (Golden Axe Warrior) was one of the last games released for the beleaguered 8-bitter
    No it wasn't, in fact this section is totally ludicrous, Master System releases didn't wind down until 2 years after this around 93'.

  3. #3
    Blast processor Melf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Cabo Rojo, PR
    Posts
    9,479
    Rep Power
    130

    Default

    You're right... in Europe, not the U.S. The MS was all but dead here by 1990.

  4. #4
    The Gentleman Thief Baloo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    5,470
    Rep Power
    85

    Default

    Yeah, you guys have to realize how BADLY Master System did here. What Master System did in Europe, NES did here. They just DOMINATED.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!
    Quote Originally Posted by llj View Post
    Count me as someone who never liked the Turbo/Hyper Fighting iterations of Street Fighter 2. The speed ups always struck me as too "Benny Hill".


    Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

  5. #5
    Master of Shinobi
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Essex, England
    Age
    36
    Posts
    1,057
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    You're right... in Europe, not the U.S. The MS was all but dead here by 1990.
    Who cares what it was like in America, saying Golden Axe Warrior was one of the last releases for the system is factually wrong information.

    The Super Nintendo didn't sell well in Britain yet you do not get British websites saying the Super Nintendo was a failure.

  6. #6
    Blast processor Melf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Cabo Rojo, PR
    Posts
    9,479
    Rep Power
    130

    Default

    For those in the U.S. with the console at the time, it was. Most people didn't import back then. We're looking at it from two different perpspectives, but I'll change it to make you happy.

  7. #7
    Shining Hero Joe Redifer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Denver, CO - USA
    Posts
    13,018
    Rep Power
    123

    Default

    Golden Axe came out for the Genesis before it was released on the SMS. Not sure how it happened in Europe.

    Who cares what it was like in America
    The world revolves around us, so the answer is: EVERYONE!

    Anyway, good article. I remember buying Golden Axe Warrior and playing it a lot on my Power Base Converter back when SMS games were no longer very easy to come by. Then I stupidly sold it and had to re-acquire it a couple of years ago.

  8. #8
    ESWAT Veteran Da_Shocker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Cashville,TN
    Age
    38
    Posts
    5,243
    Rep Power
    68

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jesus.arnold View Post
    Who cares what it was like in America, saying Golden Axe Warrior was one of the last releases for the system is factually wrong information.

    The Super Nintendo didn't sell well in Britain yet you do not get British websites saying the Super Nintendo was a failure.
    WE also called the Mega Drive the Genesis over here does it really matter what he said even though in this market it was the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoltor View Post
    Japan on the other hand is in real danger, if Japanese men don't start liking to play with their woman, more then them selves, experts calculated the Japanese will be extinct within 300 years.

  9. #9
    Master of Shinobi
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Essex, England
    Age
    36
    Posts
    1,057
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    The article is fine now anyway as it's been changed I just want to explain my reasons for bringing up up a bit so I'll reply to this post

    Quote Originally Posted by Da_Shocker View Post
    WE also called the Mega Drive the Genesis over here does it really matter what he said even though in this market it was the truth.
    No, it was not the truth as it was not specific enough which made it misleading. As a whole the Master System was not a failure at all, it was Sega's 2nd biggest selling console they ever made and it was around for bloody years, sure it's worth mentioning that it was small fry in the US market, but it shouldn't be talked about like this in a general fashion "Master System fans were gasping for just about anything" "One of the last games for the beleaguered 8-bitter" These statement make it sound as though the Master System was in it's death throws around 89' when in reality it was healthy as ever in other markets. I'm sure I don't still hear Americans talk about the PC-Engine in this fashion when it's pretty much in the exact same boat as the Master System.

    Also by your definition me making a statement that the SNES had "virtually no good RPG's" would be "the truth" as it is true for my area of the world as most SNES RPG's were not released here, I do not say it because I know that there is a world outside my own area.

  10. #10
    Blast processor Melf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Cabo Rojo, PR
    Posts
    9,479
    Rep Power
    130

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jesus.arnold View Post
    No, it was not the truth as it was not specific enough which made it misleading. As a whole the Master System was not a failure at all, it was Sega's 2nd biggest selling console they ever made and it was around for bloody years, sure it's worth mentioning that it was small fry in the US market, but it shouldn't be talked about like this in a general fashion "Master System fans were gasping for just about anything" "One of the last games for the beleaguered 8-bitter" These statement make it sound as though the Master System was in it's death throws around 89' when in reality it was healthy as ever in other markets.
    The problem is that you're consistently quoting those sentences in isolation and completely ignoring their context. In an article written by an American, for an American website, which refers to the console by its American name all the time - you're assuming it's talking about things from a worldwide perspective?

    Also by your definition me making a statement that the SNES had "virtually no good RPG's" would be "the truth" as it is true for my area of the world as most SNES RPG's were not released here, I do not say it because I know that there is a world outside my own area.
    But this exactly what you did. You referred to its sales outside of the U.S. as though they were the only thing that matters. "Who cares what it was like in America?"

    I admit I should have fixed it earlier, but calling one perspective factually wrong and another right isn't correct either.

    I'm sure I don't still hear Americans talk about the PC-Engine in this fashion when it's pretty much in the exact same boat as the Master System.
    Most Americans refer to it as the TG-16 and consider it more or less the same as the MS in terms of sales, or at least everyone I've talked to has.

  11. #11
    Master of Shinobi
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Essex, England
    Age
    36
    Posts
    1,057
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    The problem is that you're consistently quoting those sentences in isolation and completely ignoring their context. In an article written by an American, for an American website, which refers to the console by its American name all the time - you're assuming it's talking about things from a worldwide perspective?
    If you simply say that a game was one of the last releases on the Master System then why should I conclude that you are specifically talking about the area where you live? you made a clear statement that Golden Axe Warrior was one of the last releases, that's it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    But this exactly what you did. You referred to its sales outside of the U.S. as though they were the only thing that matters. "Who cares what it was like in America?"
    No, i'm talking about the machine's sales as a whole, it sold well in certain markets therefore it was a success and who cares if it didn't sell well in the US it's not important as long as the machine made money.

    The fact that Golden Axe Warrior was one of the last Master System games in an area where the Master System was never popular in the first place does not matter.

    Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    I admit I should have fixed it earlier, but calling one perspective factually wrong and another right isn't correct either.
    Saying that Golden Axe Warrior was one of the last Master System releases is factually wrong because it was not, saying that it was one of the last releases in the US is fine because it's probably true.

  12. #12
    Blast processor Melf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Cabo Rojo, PR
    Posts
    9,479
    Rep Power
    130

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jesus.arnold View Post
    If you simply say that a game was one of the last releases on the Master System then why should I conclude that you are specifically talking about the area where you live? you made a clear statement that Golden Axe Warrior was one of the last releases, that's it.
    Because if you read the whole article, it was pretty clear that I was referring to the U.S. But you're right that I shouldn't have, which is why I changed it.

    The fact that Golden Axe Warrior was one of the last Master System games in an area where the Master System was never popular in the first place does not matter.
    If I live in the US, why should I care about how it sold elsewhere? You're basically apply that logic in reverse. I know you don't live in the US, but one perspective isn't more correct than another. It would be wrong to only reference only one, which is why I corrected it. To say the US doesn't matter because the MS didn't sell there is just as wrong as me saying a console doesn't count because it didn't come out in the U.S.

    Saying that Golden Axe Warrior was one of the last Master System releases is factually wrong because it was not, saying that it was one of the last releases in the US is fine because it's probably true.
    I meant to say US, and the change reflects that now.

  13. #13
    Hedgehog Lord Jesse813's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pottstown, PA, USA
    Age
    37
    Posts
    16,610
    Rep Power
    147

    Default

    Good Article Even Though I Disagree w/ ya Melf on Golden Axe 3

  14. #14
    ESWAT Veteran Da_Shocker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Cashville,TN
    Age
    38
    Posts
    5,243
    Rep Power
    68

    Default

    jesus.arnold can be so anal at times SMH.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoltor View Post
    Japan on the other hand is in real danger, if Japanese men don't start liking to play with their woman, more then them selves, experts calculated the Japanese will be extinct within 300 years.

  15. #15
    Zebbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Täby, Kingdom of Sweden
    Age
    34
    Posts
    8,990
    Rep Power
    122

    Default

    I see nothing wrong with writing and article out of an Amierican perspective it you're American etc., but looking up the facts is important so it reflects the worldwide truth, as the audience is international, not only American etc. There was one minor mistake here, and it's been fixed now.
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •